PDA

View Full Version : Cherry cradle complete with photos

Andy Fox
02-11-2007, 2:50 PM
Back in September, I finished the cherry cradle that I worked on occassionally for about 5 months. I asked several questions on this forum about this project, and got many helpful answers. I've been woodworking for about 5 years, but this was my first real furniture project. I mainly followed the plan I purchased, but made a few minor modifications and structural enhancements.

I spent a lot of time on stock selection from rough stock for each part. The angled frame and panels and the mortise and tenon rails were the most time-consuming. I used a benchtop mortiser for the rails and the legs. I cut about 5 of the rail mortises by hand just to prove to myself that I could do it. :) The mortiser was a little rougher than I would've liked, but could be do to my inexperience at setting up this machine. I cut the feet mortises and their bracket tenons on the router table, and that was much more smooth and precise. Except for the rails, all M&T joints were glued with epoxy.

The rails and stretcher use wood and lag screws with cross-dowel reinforcement for easy disassembly and storage. The stretcher attaches to the legs with unglued M&T joints and lag screws. Screw holes are unplugged because the unglued plugs would be a choking hazard.

The finish is a quick and simple BLO and two coats of Zinsser dewaxed shellac (2# cut).

After finishing, when carrying the assembled bed of the cradle into the house alone (mistake #1), I tried to support most of it at the top of one of the end panels (mistake #2), and split open the top two M&T joints of the panel. :eek: :mad: It just wasn't designed to bear this type of stress at this point, especially the easy-splitting cherry wood. I was able to sand down the epoxy in the joints, fix the splits with yellow glue, and then reglue the joints with epoxy. And the traditional BLO and shellac finish was easily repaired. I can't even tell the joint ever broke by looking at it!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 3:25 PM
Andy......Really well done! I hope you signed it and dated it! It'll be around and used for generations!

Ron Jones near Indy
02-11-2007, 3:44 PM
That is really a nice cradle. I'm sure it will be used for generations. Thanks for showing it to us.

Roy McQuay
02-11-2007, 3:51 PM
Very nice work. I made one similar about 20 years ago, but it wasn't this nice. I was just beginning my hobby then. Thanks for sharing.

John Timberlake
02-11-2007, 5:24 PM
Thanks for sharing. Looks very nice. It will be around for many years. Who is it for?

Jim Becker
02-11-2007, 5:31 PM
Great job, Andy!! That turned out beautifully.

Peter Stahl
02-11-2007, 8:33 PM
Looks great Andy! Should be in the family for a long time.

Larry Fox
02-11-2007, 8:37 PM
Well done Andy, well done.

Roy Wall
02-11-2007, 9:38 PM
Andy,

Your design and workmanship are beautiful!! I think its awesome!

lou sansone
02-12-2007, 4:57 AM
very nice design and well executed

Lou

David Cramer
02-12-2007, 7:36 AM
Nice job Andy and as others have said, it will be around for generations to come. For your first "real furniture" project, you did awesome! The cherry makes it look so rich. Good on you for thinking about the choking hazard.

Dave

p.s. I didn't see if this was for a client, family member, or for your own child. Great job regardless.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-12-2007, 7:59 AM
The kid's gonna sleep in class! Nice work.
-Jeff :)

Bruce Page
02-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Beautifully done Andy. Building a cradel is a very rewarding project.

Andy Fox
02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you all for the compliments!

The cradle is for my second child (daughter), who was born in June. I wanted to build one for the first, but my skill and time weren't quite up to the task.

I did sign and date it after finishing, but then I got to thinking that another coat of finish or careless cleaning applied at some future date would smear the Sharpie ink, so I need to do something more permanent.