PDA

View Full Version : FS30 Sale

Robert Strasser
02-11-2007, 2:41 PM
I was just preparing wood for a small project and ran into some cupped boards. I only have a 6" jointer, so I usually try to use my drum sander to face joint a surface then plane it to size. This is getting to be a pain in the rear. So I noticed MM has the FS30 on sale for a paltry $3795. What a steal. I already know the answer, but I have to ask it. What do owners think of their FS30s? What are the strengths and weaknesses?

I now have a Powermatic jointer that has that nice long table. I really like that long table on a jointer. It is the width that hurts me. Is it any harder working on the shorter tables that the jointer/planers have?

Thanks for the help in spending my money.

Bob
Pulaski, VA

Jim Becker
02-11-2007, 5:42 PM
The new April 2007 issue of Fine Woodworking has an article that includes the FS30. It had the longest tables of those tested at 59.5". That's not "really long", but certainly usable. You may also want to post your question on the Yahoo Mini Max users' group.

Mark J Bachler
02-11-2007, 6:02 PM
I thought my FS 35 smart woud be too small of a planer but I liked the 14" wide jointer. Since then I picked up a woodmaster 26" sander. Between the two of them it covers about everything I need. It's easy to change over, it stays true, dust collection works good if you have enough suck.

Joe Mioux
02-11-2007, 7:05 PM
"paltry" ?

This is the jointer, I want/intend (maybe) to buy, but to use the term paltry is inappropriate. $3800 plus shipping is a bunch of money.

RE: FWW. I would have liked to see Grizzly's new entry into this market tested.

joe

Robert Strasser
02-11-2007, 7:13 PM
Sorry about the paltry. I'll be more cautious with my sarcasm in the future.

Joe Mioux
02-11-2007, 7:26 PM
no problem..... it is a great jointer/planer.

Dave Avery
02-11-2007, 7:42 PM
"paltry" ?

RE: FWW. I would have liked to see Grizzly's new entry into this market tested.

joe

Agreed - seems similar in design other than the knives being Grizz's version of helical.......