PDA

View Full Version : Holly with blue staining

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 2:30 PM
I just cut up a large trunk of holly that has been stacked on 4x4s since last summer. Bill Wyko is in need of some so I thought this would fit the bill. After opening it it had a lot of blue staining that is actually very nice, but I think that he may want it white. Do you think it would be able to be bleached out? Bill. I'm sending it out to you anyway cause if it doesn't fit the bill for the project you had in mind I'm sure you use it for something else. I have some more holly coming in the near future form a lot that is being cleared. I'll make sure to cut it fresh and seal it right away.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/rubberhook/holly-1.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 2:42 PM
You're a nice guy Kurt! I hope to get to that sassafras after the knobs are turned. No turning this weekend....fighting a "coad" by staying down and drinking lots of fluids....:(

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2007, 2:52 PM
Kurt that is some cool looking wood. What stains it blue? Just curious. I'll bet that would make a awesome Hollow Form.

Dan Dill
02-11-2007, 2:55 PM
that is reallycool looking holly with the blue in it.....

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 3:10 PM
From what I understand it's a common thing Don't know what the cause is. I'm gonna chuck up a piece today and see what it looks like round!:D

mike fuson
02-11-2007, 4:15 PM
cool looking wood. I don't have a clue about the blue. Is it possible that it could be mineral? What ever it is I think it is better to have the blue than to not have it. Much more interesting.

Andy Hoyt
02-11-2007, 4:53 PM
It's a fungus (which I believe is present in all wood) and caused to grow large enough to be visible by the combined presence of warmth, moisture, and an anaerobic atmosphere. Kinda why we're encouraged to sticker green lumber.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-11-2007, 5:26 PM
Nice wood Kurt! You're quick becoming the Santa of the forest. Keep up the great job you are doing!:)

Brian McInturff
02-11-2007, 6:37 PM
Kurt,
Right now is the time to cut Holly. You want to cut it while the sap is down which helps in reducing some of the staining, at least that's what I've been told. Sealing it won't guarantee no staining either. I cut down a Holly awhile back and sealed it and it still turned blue and some other colors to boot. I should be cutting a couple more in a couple of weeks myself. That looked like a pretty large Holly you have. Most here only get about 18-24 inches. Brian

Bill Turpin
02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I have turned some holly that had the blue stain the day it was cut down. People around here think that it is mineral stain.

Bill in WNC mountains