PDA

View Full Version : Nova Live Center System

Rick Levine
02-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I recently purchased a Nova Live Center System for my Delta model 46-715 lathe and discovered that the knock out rod that comes with the lathe will not remove the live center.

The hole through the headstock is too narrow to fit the required 1/2" rod that matches the hole in the end of the live center. If I try to plug the end of the live center I then can not knock out the replaceable tips for the center.
Does anyone have a solution to the problem other than returning the live center?

Andy Hoyt
02-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Rick - every live center that I've met has always requested to be used in the tailstock.

Dario Octaviano
02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Ditto what Andy said ;)

George Tokarev
02-11-2007, 1:52 PM
Yep, can't see a use for a free-rotating center in the headstock. That's not going to produce much motion. You will, however, find that the self-ejecting feature of your tailstock won't work with this type of center, because it doesn't go deep enough. I used a piece of wood between the back of the center and the tailstock itself. Then retracting the quill would eject it handily.

The 3000 doesn't have a self-ejecting capability, so all centers are now equal.

Gordon Seto
02-11-2007, 2:37 PM
Rick - every live center that I've met has always requested to be used in the tailstock.
Not often, but I use the Oneway live center at the headstock. I insert a small nail in the hole instead of the hex key and bend the end of the nail to use as drive center to true up some special purpose non-marking tip. Similar to the $75 Axminster Versa-Center 014-3402 in Craftsupply USA catalog.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/livecenter001.jpg
On the Nova live center, I can't do that. But it comes with couple wood screws for me to attach a piece of wood to do the same thing.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/livecenter002.jpg

Gordon

Rick Levine
02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I recently viewed Alan Lacer's DVD "Woodturning Getting Started Right" and mistakenly thought he suggested using the live center in the headstock.

I just reviewed the DVD and I stand corrected. When he was suggesting the live center he does say, albeit subtlety, to use it in the tail stock. I just missed it.

Rick Levine
02-11-2007, 10:51 PM
George,

I just tried it in the tailstock and was able to eject it by cranking in the wheel so it will work correctly in my lathe.