PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Lumber Supplier Help!

John Esberg
02-11-2007, 9:55 AM
Hello Everyone,

My previous supplier (Advantage Lumber & Trim) of bulk thin wood, 0.25" thick, 6" to 8" wide, & 24" long, is no longer supplying us any longer. Ugh! This is bad news for someone like me. Actually, this is horrible news. Now I'm stuck paying as much as 4 times higher for lumber.

If I only ordered 2 or 3 boards at a time I really woudn't care, but I go for wholesale orders by the pallet. It's important when you need a large selection of for making hardwood floor inlays. When you pay $8 to $10 per board and get defects abound, its not good. So bulk is the way to go!

So please, can you suggest some wholesale sources at good prices?

Sincerely,

DAK

P.S. Here's a picture for you...

Joe Chritz
02-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I can't give a supplier, but it sounds like a good bandsaw dedicated for resawing would pay itself off very fast.

I use some small stuff with a laser my father has and with a good setup 1/4 stock is very fast and usually made with scrap from other projects.

Good luck

ETA: Nice inlay by the way.

Joe

John Esberg
02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Well Joe, my problem is right now I can't afford to purchase a $5k bandsaw and pay for an electrician to upgrade the 1950's electrical system in the house I rent right now. I'll be moving in about 6 months, so an extra large machine such as that is not really a good idea, that's why I'm looking for a good vendor.

DAK

Roy McQuay
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi John, have you tried WoodPlanet.com ? You register and then place a RFQ, request for quote, and then if any suppliers have what you need, they email you with their quote or post it to you at WoodPlanet. Then you just contact the supplier with the best deal for you. I have gotten some nice lumber that way.

Jim Dunn
02-15-2007, 8:02 AM
John, you might try Schaller Hardwoods here in Missouri. I don't know about shipping to NY but the supply and quality is supposed to be excellent.

Joseph N. Myers
02-15-2007, 11:33 AM
John,

I second Roy's suggestion of WoodPlanet.com. I think that it costs you some money if you sell, nothing if you buy.

I would also try Steve Wall Lumber, www.walllumber.com (http://www.walllumber.com), I think. Have always had good luck with them (at shows) and real good things about them in wood forums.

WoodFinder.com is also worth looking at. They charge to list vendors so there are many vendors missing, but the list is growing. I just tried it with "thin lumber" and got 9 hits. Try it, you (might) like it.

What kind of wood are you looking for. I would image walnut, cherry, oak (red and white), ash, etc. And if you don't mind me asking, what is considered a good price for a pallet of thin wood? The going price seems to be around $4 +/- for 1/4" and that is for 6" wide. That does seem like a lot of money especially when you can get say 8" x 3/4" for about the same price. I know I've sold a good amount of thin wood to scrollsawers mainly because of the width (and of course the price which is at least 50% less then the going rate).

I think that Joe's (Chritz) suggestion of a band saw might have some merit. You could get a decent 14" band saw w/riser and a planer for what, $700 to $1200 depending on used/new, etc. That would be a good deal if you could get the stock to cut the thinner wood for a decent price.

BTW, what is the minimum width and length you would use. If it is narrow enough, say 3", Lumber Liquidators might be worth looking at. Of course, some machinery might be required.

Regards, Joe

thomas prevost
02-15-2007, 11:57 AM
John, I sent you a note. WE are local in NY state and can deliver.