PDA

View Full Version : Which bandsaw cuts the best?

Mandell Mann
02-11-2007, 9:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I've heard many good and bad comments about the Laguna and the Minimax bandsaws in terms of service, parts, weight, stability and looks. I understand that they are two of the best saws out there and you can't go wrong with either saw. Here is my question.

Which saw do you guys think cuts the best: resawing, veneer cuts, curves, and etc. and why?:cool:

John Shuk
02-11-2007, 9:33 AM
Honestly either one would probably suit your needs with the most important factor being your set up of the saw.

Ted Miller
02-11-2007, 10:02 AM
For sure, tuning, blades, table and fence make the best even better...

Pete Bradley
02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Which saw do you guys think cuts the best: resawing, veneer cuts, curves, and etc. and why?
The one with the most experienced and skilled operator using it. Besides the advantage of skill, he also knows how to keep it set up.

Buy whichever has the features and knobs that suit you best, then work on being experienced and skilled.

Pete

Mike Cutler
02-11-2007, 10:46 AM
The one that is setup properly and has the sharpest blade.

Those are both fine bandsaws. Either of them in experienced hands will do very nicely.

Based on forum feedback it seems that Minimax gets the nod for customer service after the sale.

Jim Becker
02-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Both are good machines. I chose MM for the last point that Mike makes.

Mark Singer
02-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I would get the Aggazani in that class of saws...I think its less money and several of us have one and love it including Mark Duginske....he says it an "Italian band saw"..trust me its an Agg....It cuts curves very well just get the correct blade...the day we had the workshop at Sam maloof's he was cutting curves with a 3/8" blade all day long....

Please check the customer service on the compaies...its not the same or even close!

http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzaniphotos.html

glenn bradley
02-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Choosing between saws of that caliber I would be reduced to the details. Once wheel alignment, table stability, power etc. have been made equal (or there abouts) I look to ease of blade changes. Things that would drop a saw from my list include:

- no quick tension release.
- awkward effort required to adjust guides.
- poorly thought out dust collection.
- poorly designed table that makes fence or jig mounting awkward.

If there is a tie-breaker, it would be one or more of those.

Mandell Mann
02-11-2007, 2:04 PM
Hello,

I would like to take this time to thank all of you for your great answers.:)