PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys & Gals

Kristina Tompkins
02-11-2007, 9:06 AM
I just started in this group and wanted to say hi.

My husband got me started on a Ryobi scroll saw and I did some ok stuff. I hated the vibration on it. So I for Christmas he got me a Dewalt788 scroll saw with the light and the stand. I can't wait for it to get here!!!! It should be here in March :) I would show you some of my work but I don't know how to post pictures. If anyone has any tips on scroll sawing and patterns I would love to see them.

ya'll take care :)

Kris

John Shuk
02-11-2007, 9:34 AM
Welcome to the Creek.

Von Bickley
02-11-2007, 9:37 AM
Welcome To The Creek... I know you will enjoy visiting with us.;)

glenn bradley
02-11-2007, 9:54 AM
Welcome. May your new saw arrive safe and sound and vibration free.

Jim Becker
02-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Kristina!

Paul Douglass
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the Creek! I just bought that saw about a month ago. You will love it. I upgraded from an old Craftsman, 16" that I cussed every time I turned it on. Used it for 20 years before I decide my wife wouldn't get her feeling hurt if I upgraded (she bought it for me as a Christmas present). One of my best decisions ever. Search the Internet, there are a bunch of places to buy patterns and blades. Some I have gotten aren't really much but I will learn..

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Welcome to Creek Kristina.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the Creek Kristina! Wade right in the water's fine!

There's a sticky over on the Supprt forum that describes how to post photos.

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
If anyone has any tips on scroll sawing and patterns I would love to see them.

ya'll take care :)

Kris

Kris, I responded to a similar post on another forum and here's the list of the books I have. Most of them are pattern books, but they all have helpful hints and tips at the beginning. The first one is THE one to have:

Scroll Saw Handbook, by Patrick Spielman, Sterling Publishing, 1986. This one is, as far as I'm concerned, the textbook to have for scrollers. It starts with the history of scroll saws, talks about the various brands and types of saws, goes into techniques, and has some patterns and projects.

Scroll Saw Pattern Book, by Patrick and Patricia Spielman - lots of cute patterns

Scroll Saw Country Patterns, by Patrick Spielman and Sherri Spielman - country-themed patterns

Fun & Easy Scroll Saw Projects, by Patrick Spielman - some really neat projects, including a bowl that will knock your socks off

Decorative & Ornamental Scroll Saw Patterns, by Patrick Spielman and Dirl Boelman - jewelry, clocks, and all sorts of things

Scroll Saw Holiday Patterns, by Patrick and Patricia - just as it says, a pattern for every holiday

Spielman's Original Scross Saw Patterns, by Patrick and Patricia - a nice variety

and my favorite (being in New Mexico)
Southwest Scross Saw Patterns, by Patrick and Dan Kihl - just as it says - lots of Southwest Patterns. I've used a number of these patterns on the clocks I make.

I also counted about 11-12 other books that Patrick Spielman published for all types of scrolling.

Another source I have used for patterns is simple children's coloring books. They can be adapted for scroll-sawing if you are looking for things for children.

Happy scrolling! Hope this has helped.

Edit: http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/ (http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/) - in Lebanan, TN, has lots of patterns and books, also. They specialize in wood for scrolling, and we also buy wood for lasering there. They don't do 'net orders, but they are really great to work with and provide good stuff.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 1:38 PM
Kris, As it happened, I was organizing some CDs a few minutes ago and ran across a couple I didn't know I had:o . Anyway, both are for scrolling and have patterns that may not appear anywhere else in print.

Scrollsaw CD Book Library Vol. 1, over 750 scrollsaw projects, by Rick and Karen Longabaugh. Available through The Berry Basket (which seems to have a lot of things along this line.)

The Scroll Saw Bin, available at www.accentsinpine.com (http://www.accentsinpine.com), e-mail ScrollBin@accentsinpine.com, or P. O. Box 7387, Gonic, New Hampshire 03839.

Caveat: Obviously I haven't tried any of these (because I didn't know I had them!), but I looked at some of the patterns and they seem pretty good and varied.

Nancy

Kristina Tompkins
02-11-2007, 3:59 PM
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the info. I will look into it. I need all the help I can get.

Mike Cutler
02-11-2007, 6:07 PM
Kristina.
Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'.

As soon as you get the pic thing down, be sure to post some pics.

Mike

Kristina Tompkins
02-11-2007, 8:08 PM
where is the stucky that shows how to post picuters

Peter Stahl
02-11-2007, 8:25 PM
where is the stucky that shows how to post picuters

Welcome to the creek Kristina.
The Sticky for attachments is on the support forum. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
I think there is a size limitation as for picture size but I don't remember what it is.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 8:28 PM
Kristina.......Start your thread......then scroll down to the bottom.....there is a hot button "Manage your attachments"......select Manage Your Attachments........Guide it to the pictures on you computer......When the window opens up ...it will tell you the size limitations of the photos to be upload based on the type of file format.......107Kbyte for .jpg files IIRC.....select the photo to be uploaded........Upload it...Close that window..Now.....here's where a lot of people get burned.....DO NOT PREVIEW the photo....select "submit"......Note....you can add photos to this ...your original thread by using that method select "edit" on one of your replies.....then select "Advanced methods" IIRC.....this will allow you to get to the Manage Attachments" hot button.....

You can only have 5 photos IIRC per reply on a thread so if you have say 10 photos.....start the thread..insert 5 photos...reply to your thread...insert 5 more photos...

Once a photo has been uploaded it can NOT be uploaded again...unless you change something about it ....say resize it to a slightly smaller size....then it can be uploaded again....

I hope this makes sense.

lou sansone
02-12-2007, 5:04 AM
welcome to the creek
lou

Kristina Tompkins
02-12-2007, 6:19 AM
Thanks it worked now I have some of my pics up. thank you thank you

David Cramer
02-12-2007, 7:29 AM
Hi Kristina

You will love that DeWalt Scroll Saw! My friends got one and raves about the anit-vibration that you speak of. It has been a real workhorse for him. I have yet to get into scrolling, but based off your pictures, it looks rather rewarding. You live in Naples...............luuucckkkkyyyyyy! A friend from high school lived there off of 111th Avenue (if I recall correctly) and was 1.1 miles from Vanderbilt Beach (if I spelled it correctly). Nice area to say the least. Good luck with your future projects.

Dave

Kristian Wild
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
From one Kris to another, welcome to the Creek!

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Kristina,

Welcome to the Creek!!!! Glad to have you onboard and just wade right on in here. We have lot's of fun, share thoughts and idears, toss around things about wood choices, tools, and even the various methods of getting something done in the shop. It's a great place with some of the very best ww'ing folks anywhere.

BTW, You'll really love that new scrollsaw. :D

Lincoln Myers
02-12-2007, 1:53 PM
Nice work Kristina, thanks for posting. Welcome to The Creek.

-Linc

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-12-2007, 9:49 PM
Good stuff, Kristina.

Bruce

Alan Greene
02-12-2007, 9:56 PM
Kris, welcome to the creek and and nice work.