PDA

View Full Version : I didn't slide into Raymond's ditch but..

Curt Fuller
02-11-2007, 1:32 AM
I stumbled into a little bit of wood today too. We don't have any Amish folks around here but we do have a bunch of Mexican immigrants. For the last week I've been watching the progress of a Mexican family cutting down a big silver maple in their front yard. Yesterday they were stacking the wood out by the road like they were going to get rid of it. So this morning I stopped by to ask if they were trying to get rid of the wood and if I could have it. Well, they no habla english so they rounded up their young son, maybe 8 years old to be the interpreter. After we finally broke down the communication barrier I started hauling the wood. I took it all, two loads, some was just firewood for my son. But when I finished loading up they came out and wanted to pay me. That's right, pay me for taking the wood off their hands. I couldn't understand a word they were saying other than the guy was trying to shove a couple $20's at me. Anyway I finally convinced them I was getting the better end of the deal and told them to keep their money. I guess I'll try and make them a nice bowl or something.

Johnathan Bussom
02-11-2007, 1:50 AM
Great idea Curt and I commend you on your handling of the situation!

You make them a bowl and I bet you are going to be gettting more wood than you can handle once the word gets out, especially if you sign it!

John

Christopher K. Hartley
02-11-2007, 7:07 AM
Curt, that is so cool. I think we not only get the better part of the deal with getting the wood but also the satisfaction of making them feel good with a bowl or other item on the back side. I'm working on one now for the people that supplied pecan a while back. Congrats!:)

Raymond Overman
02-11-2007, 7:21 AM
I was a little confused for a minute and had to go outside and see if they had dug a ditch in front of the house last night. Since I live in the middle of the big city of Fort Mill, SC we don't have ditches. Then I read John's post.

Looks like both of you hit the motherload. Your new neighbors will be surprised and enjoy a nice turned piece.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-11-2007, 8:16 AM
Curt, if you make a bowl for them, it would be nice if, when you sign it, you could write a short thank you in spanish for them to understand. There are a lot of interpreter programs on the internet to assist if you need them. "gracias por la madera maravillosa" means "Thank you for the wonderful wood". I just think it would add a nice touch.

Ron

Christopher K. Hartley
02-11-2007, 8:27 AM
Curt, if you make a bowl for them, it would be nice if, when you sign it, you could write a short thank you in spanish for them to understand. There are a lot of interpreter programs on the internet to assist if you need them. "gracias por la madera maravillosa" means "Thank you for the wonderful wood". I just think it would add a nice touch.

RonGreat Idea Ron!!!:)

John Hart
02-11-2007, 8:31 AM
That is so cool Curt!!! And making the bowl is a great idea. It is shocking to me how little folks know about turning and the pieces that can come from what most folks think of as fuel or refuse. The bowl will put an indelible mark on them. Not to mention, that's a wonderful way to say thank you.;)

Mark Schwobel
02-11-2007, 9:31 AM
Yesterday, after buying our first pen kits, blanks etc., we were driving home and saw our nextdoor neighbor hauling out a few logs. My son scurried over, told him of our turnings and scored the wood to use with our new Nova G3 chuck. Later, my neighbor comes over with small strips of black walnut that are just big enough for slim-line pens (about two board feet). He soon returns with a couple feet of oak in 2x2s.

My son will give the best looking pen to him. Our first two attempts don't technically meet the definition of "Pen."

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2007, 9:56 AM
Curt what a awesome story. I think the bowl idea is great and would definately do like Ron said have someone or use the internet to write a nice thank you note. Sounds like you got some nice wood.

Jim Becker
02-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes, it's perfectly normal, common and polite to provide a good "donor" like that with something really nice!!! And out of that wood is even better...

BTW, NICE HAUL!

Bobby Perry
02-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I make deerhorn cartriage pens. Anyone who sends me at least 6 sets of deerhorns I give a pen too. I have plenty of cartriages 308 and 30-30 works best.
I forgot to add I have almost paid for my lathe and all the extras that you have to have. Now I got to do a bowl of some kind.