PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Blanket Chest PIC

Jim Guy
12-01-2003, 3:24 PM
One of the things I enjoy most about this site is viewing other peoples work. You'll be able to tell at a glance that my work is not in the same ballpark with others who post here, but I'm working on it. Below is a pic of my first sizeable project. Before this I've built only a couple of clocks and a few small boxes. There are many, many mistakes on the chest but I think I learned a few things also. It's going to my son for Christmas.
Thanks for looking,
Jim Guy

Jim Becker
12-01-2003, 3:29 PM
Yum! Your work is excellent...I don't know why you're concerned!

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2003, 3:33 PM
Jim,
That looks great! Especially for the "first" sizable project.

The old french guy who started me down this road used to say...No matter how good you are, you make mistakes. The difference between the good and the bad worker is that most people can't see the mistakes the good worker makes. He's the only one that really suffers over them.

The biggest mistake you make is being afraid to make mistakes. As long as you enjoy what you are doing keep going and keep showing us.

Tyler Howell
12-01-2003, 3:33 PM
Nice Work Jim,
Keep the pics coming.

TJH

Don Abele
12-01-2003, 4:33 PM
Jim, excellent looking piece. I used to feel the same way you do, and coming to the creek earlier this year started to emphasize that for me. But it was the kind words of praise and encouragement, words of wisdom and advice, and all-around nice people here that changed all that. I still see my mistakes, but look on them as part of my continuous learning. I'm sure even Norm still makes mistakes :p

Glenn, I love this and will remember it -
"No matter how good you are, you make mistakes. The difference between the good and the bad worker is that most people can't see the mistakes the good worker makes. He's the only one that really suffers over them."

Be well,

Doc

Todd Burch
12-01-2003, 4:40 PM
Jim, mighty fine lookin' Mule Chest. Mighty fine! Your son will treasure it for years to come, I am sure. Todd.

Chris DiCiaccio
12-01-2003, 4:59 PM
One of the things I enjoy most about this site is viewing other peoples work. You'll be able to tell at a glance that my work is not in the same ballpark with others who post here, but I'm working on it. Below is a pic of my first sizeable project. Before this I've built only a couple of clocks and a few small boxes. There are many, many mistakes on the chest but I think I learned a few things also. It's going to my son for Christmas.
Thanks for looking,
Jim Guy
I think you did just great! Looks good.

Todd Burch
12-01-2003, 5:11 PM
Jim, upon closer look (and a little manipulation {brightening} with the photo editing software, hehehehe), it looks like you have some hand cut dovetails there, or if not, at least a custom spacing of your dovetails. And, it looks like you spent some time laying out the front upper panel - chooing a piece of wood with some nice figure and wrapping (glueing) two narrower boards above and below it to get maximum "WOW" factor. Good job! (If this is what you planned on doing - then toot your horn and tell us! If not, then just say you did!)

Todd.

Jim Guy
12-01-2003, 5:20 PM
Jim, upon closer look (and a little manipulation {brightening} with the photo editing software, hehehehe), it looks like you have some hand cut dovetails there, or if not, at least a custom spacing of your dovetails. And, it looks like you spent some time laying out the front upper panel - chooing a piece of wood with some nice figure and wrapping (glueing) two narrower boards above and below it to get maximum "WOW" factor. Good job! (If this is what you planned on doing - then toot your horn and tell us! If not, then just say you did!)

Todd.

Todd,
The dovetails are custom spacing with a lot of help from an outfit named Leigh. Any WOW on the upper panel would be there only by chance.
Thanks everyone for the kind words of support.
Jim Guy

Carl Eyman
12-01-2003, 5:20 PM
I would be proud to post it if it had come out of my shop

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2003, 6:24 PM
Glenn, I love this and will remember it -
"No matter how good you are, you make mistakes. The difference between the good and the bad worker is that most people can't see the mistakes the good worker makes. He's the only one that really suffers over them."
Doc

Hey Doc...
This doesn't apply to your profession! :D

Don Abele
12-01-2003, 7:53 PM
OMG... :) :) :) ...that's funny Glenn...even funnier because, yes, it does. I can't tell you how many times over the past 17 years I've been stitching someone up and actually messed up. I don't say anything, cut the bad stitch out and go again. See...I made sure that no one else would see my mistakes. Thanks for the laugh (and the reminder that I've been following that all along) :p

Be well,

Doc

Matt Bridges
12-02-2003, 9:54 PM
Looks good to me! You did a mighty fine job.

Matt

Bob Lasley
12-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Jim,

Very nice chest. You should be proud of the piece, mistakes and all. It takes alot of mistakes to become a master. I've already made a ton of 'em and still have several tons to go before I can even think of approaching master status!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Bob