PDA

View Full Version : It had to happen-NYW+yeller tools

Curt Harms
02-10-2007, 5:53 PM
Today's New Yankee Workshop, the western piece in Jackson WY.(we didn't care for the piece, Jackson is real nice ) driving 4" screws into the legs, a glimpse of a DeWalt drill.:eek: .The Gray monopoly is broken. Yeah, I know he has used non Porter Cable stuff, but not very often. What was the "high speed rotary tool" he was using? If that was a RotoZip, I think I'll go into shock.:D

Curt

Jim Becker
02-10-2007, 7:10 PM
Curt, PC, Delta and Dewalt are all part of Black and Decker...so it's no surprise if you see some alternative tools on occasion. And he's used Senco/Accuset nailers from time to time as well as a few other things...with the labels taped off.

Charles Wilson
02-10-2007, 7:17 PM
Uses a Lamello biscuit joiner.

Chuck

Curt Harms
02-10-2007, 7:28 PM
Curt, PC, Delta and Dewalt are all part of Black and Decker...so it's no surprise if you see some alternative tools on occasion. And he's used Senco/Accuset nailers from time to time as well as a few other things...with the labels taped off.

Yeah, I know, but still

:D

Scott D Johnson
02-10-2007, 7:31 PM
It looked like a Dremel to me. Which has headquarters right here in Racine, WI. Also if it was a Rotozip, I believe they are now owned by Bosch. (I believe the original Rotozip was made/invented also by someone right here in WI). Not that any of this really matters.

David Cramer
02-10-2007, 9:52 PM
I am sure during the last few years he's got left, you'll see more and more different tools popping up. He is getting into building different things every year and I thoroughly enjoy watching when I can. I don't mean just a different color drill, but using the dremel type tool is not something I've seen him do before. But maybe he has I missed it.

Personally, I loved the piece and thought it was well built with clean lines and pretty classy looking to boot (no cowboy pun:) intended). But, that's just me.

Dave

Jon Knauft
02-10-2007, 10:50 PM
It was nice to see something different. I always like it when Norm does something out of the box and stretches himself a bit.

By the way Rotozip was originally in Cross Plains, Wisconsin before they were bought out. I thought a Chinese company had bought them but Bosch may have bought them since.

-Jon

Alfred Clem
02-10-2007, 10:58 PM
We get a great program (produced in Canada) about a home builder named Mike Holmes who fixes up all sorts of screwed-up contracting jobs in the Toronto area. Most and perhaps all of his gear is DeWalt. "Holmes on Homes" is broadcast on Friday evening and repeated several times on Saturday. We understand it is one of the most popular shows in Canada and is now in its sixth season. He's not into fine woodworking; just practical carpentry, home improvement, and renovation. Needless to say, he has some salty observations about sloppy workmanship and fraudulent homebuilding practices. I have learned a lot just watching and listening.

Chuck Fischer
02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Not to crash your post or anything, but did you guys notice Norm struggling with that paint brush? His hands aren't as steady as they use to be.

I really liked the piece, its not my style, but I think I'll try a few of the techniques like the routing out panels and those crazy worm holes.

Chuck

Dwayne Payne
02-10-2007, 11:40 PM
I noticed last season he was shaking while trying to do some work. Makes you wonder how much longer he has.

Ken Milhinch
02-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Al,

We get the Holmes on Homes program on cable TV here in Australia, and apart from his tendency to over dramatise everything, I find it quite informative and interesting. Unfortunately they have dropped NYW so I need every wood fix I can get.

Per Swenson
02-11-2007, 1:38 AM
I noticed last season he was shaking while trying to do some work. Makes you wonder how much longer he has.

Oh Lordy,

Now we are scouting TV personalities like NFL Quarterbacks.

Maybe we should consider wagering on how long till we see the

battery operated clamps.

I dunno why, but I find this distasteful.

Instead of out to pasture, how about time to roam the woodlot.

Baaah.

Per

Fred Voorhees
02-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh Lordy,

Now we are scouting TV personalities like NFL Quarterbacks.

Maybe we should consider wagering on how long till we see the

battery operated clamps.

I dunno why, but I find this distasteful.

Instead of out to pasture, how about time to roam the woodlot.

Baaah.

Per

Yeah....X2 agree with 'ya Per

Randal Stevenson
02-11-2007, 10:29 AM

I think this is an opportunity. I've seen it discussed here, that Norm is going to be replaced at some point on TNYW and they are going to push their own product lines.
Well, Norm could then state if he has any issues, and then have "The New Abilties Workshop".

Dewayne Reding
02-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I believe Norm's "issue" may be that he is about 57 or 58 years old. Not that I consider that particularly old, but a bit of hand unsteadiness is not at all uncommon. No offense intended to Norm, or Per for that matter.

Alfred Clem
02-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't care if Norm's hands shake or don't shake. He has done wonderful service to all those who have or would develop an interest in woodworking. He is plain-spoken, completely believable, and truthful.

Although I am nearly old enough to be his father, he has taught me a great deal, particularly how to have fun at the workbench.

Seriously, he may be in the early stages of Parkinsonism. Let me tell you, that is not a day at the beach. I say "hats off to Norm -- and long may he bring enjoyment and information to his enormous viewing public."

John Hemenway
02-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I know that was not the first time Norm used the Dewalt right angle drill on camera. It (or a sibling) shows up from time to time. There is a website that has cataloged every tool Norm uses and what show it's on. I'll see if I can find it...
ah, yes here is the link!
http://www.woodbutcher.net/images/normstools/dw965.htm

RE: shake. I hope it was just a case of too much caffeine or long day and not something more serious.

Mike K Wenzloff
02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, and the main page:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/norm.htm

Take care, Mike
who even as a neanderthal salutes Norm...credit where credit is due

Bruce Wrenn
02-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Give him a break. He finally quit using that Makita D-Handle router which came from the dispersal sale of Noah's ark building tools. Lately there has been a Freud LU84R combo blade on his saw. Freud isn't owned by B&D! In tall clock episode, there was an Oldham Signature line blade on his saw. Oldham (aka US Saw) was bought and destroyed by the B&D purchase. They closed the most modern saw blade/ router bit factory in the US. Put a lot of hard working people on the unemployement line.

Ken Milhinch
02-12-2007, 1:32 AM
From my personal perspective, Norm was the person who inspired me to get back into woodworking. I went to what we call a Technical High School here in Australia (many years ago), where I learned basic woodwork and metalwork instead of French and Latin. My father always said the skills I learned would be of more use to me than a foreign language. How right he was.

In any event, I always enjoyed DIY stuff, but never had my own home in which to have a proper workshop. After living in Taiwan for a couple of years, I returned to Australia in 1994 and bought a house. One day I turned on the cable TV and there was Norm. After watching a couple of shows, I was hooked again. I sprayed my lawn with weed killer and laid a concrete slab instead. Up went my workshop and the rest is history. In fact I have just completed an extension to the shop, and traded my Jet Cabinet Saw for a Powermatic.

Norm's show is no longer on TV here, but I have the tapes of about 25 episodes and I watch them frequently. He still inspires me, and now I am retired I spend a great deal of my time woodworking. (Thanks to an understanding wife.)

I know Norm is a carpenter, not a cabinet maker, I know he uses too many power tools for some folk (not me) and I know he mangles the English language a bit, but he seems to me to be a decent, straight forward guy, who enjoys passing on his knowledge and skills. I hope he stays well and continues on for many years. In the meantime I will lobby my cable company to get his show back.

David Cramer
02-12-2007, 7:46 AM
You probably know this Ken, but just in case, you can order DVD's from the www.newyankee.com (http://www.newyankee.com) website. I live in the states and have ordered 4 over the last 2 years that are "interesting projects" to me that I wanted top quality recording. The kind of recording quality I can't get by taping off of my local PBS station. As far as Norm, I totally agree with what you're saying. The guy is down to earth (met him once 7 years ago this March) and was so nice to my 5 year son I couldn't believe it. He went the extra mile and then some. As humble as they come and very, very well spoken, in my opinion. Hey, check out the site and you may find something that you like. Take care!

Dave

p.s. Yes I wish he would never go off the air, as I have heard is going to happen in 2-3 years. But that is just me being selfish. He is like the neighbor that you never want to move away, and when he does you realize how much you really liked him.

Ken Milhinch
02-17-2007, 5:21 AM
David,
Believe it or not, overseas "customers" cannot order via the website. We need to print off an order, fill it out by hand, and then fax or mail it. I tried it once, and I never heard from them. For a country that is so up to date, I am constantly surprised by how hard it is to deal with some companies in the USA. (and how easy it is to deal with some too)

Rod Peterson
02-17-2007, 5:35 PM
> The Gray monopoly is broken.

Oh, my--that's old non-news. There never has been a gray monopoly. Norm has used competing brand tools in major roles since Episode #1. Think Craftsman, ShopSmith, Makita, and Bosch in the first season, and Grizzley, Powermatic, Willliams & Hussey, and Lamello, just to name a few, in others.

He first used a Dewalt tool in Episode 701 over twelve years ago, and has used three different ones over the years. Of the 26 tools in my Hall of Fame (http://www.woodbutcher.net/halloffame.htm), 11 are non-sponsor products.

Thanks to those who remembered my Norm's Tools site. I don't get the Cowboy Furniture episode until tomorrow (18th) so I can't speak to anything that appeared in that one yet.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
02-17-2007, 5:39 PM
Al,

We get the Holmes on Homes program on cable TV here in Australia, and apart from his tendency to over dramatise everything, I find it quite informative and interesting. Unfortunately they have dropped NYW so I need every wood fix I can get.

Yeah, Mike is a bit high on the drama, but I like his show, he's Canadian, eh!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
02-17-2007, 5:43 PM
I don't care if Norm's hands shake or don't shake. He has done wonderful service to all those who have or would develop an interest in woodworking. He is plain-spoken, completely believable, and truthful.

Although I am nearly old enough to be his father, he has taught me a great deal, particularly how to have fun at the workbench.

Seriously, he may be in the early stages of Parkinsonism. Let me tell you, that is not a day at the beach. I say "hats off to Norm -- and long may he bring enjoyment and information to his enormous viewing public."

I am with you 101% here, he has inspired me as well, I think just that alone was a large part of my begining and learning as a woodworker just over 10 years ago

Mike Langford
02-17-2007, 11:17 PM
I met Norm at the IWF in the early '90's....Super nice guy.

David Cramer
02-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Sorry Ken, I truly didn't know that anyone overseas couldn't order via the newyankee website. Definitely "new to me". Thanks for pointing that out. I have been busy for the last couple days and didn't have a chance to even check in here. Take care.

Dave

Richard Keller
02-18-2007, 1:44 PM

A second here! Don't burry him yet folks!

Also, to consider: He makes 13 episodes of NYW every year, plus 13 TOH. Taping a TV show a 1/2 long takes a LOT longer that 1/2 an hour. Also, remember, like you, he has a personal life. People get sick, friends and family die, bills have to be made, appointments to go to. On top of that, I get the impression that Norm actually builds all of the projects (twice I might add) that he does (Unless he is a much better actor that one would think) which is time consuming enough. Norm has had the shakes on and off for a long time now, I have noticed. I'm guessing it's just like the rest of us. He gets stressed out and tired to.

I have watched Norm since the start (I was about ten) and started WW by 12 or 13. I certainly have been inspired by him, and would miss him if he went off the air. But like everyone, it's just a job for Norm, and he'll retire too someday.

Like all of us, Norm has also changed over the years, tools, some techniques, project styles. I like the way he's gone the last few years, with a really broad range of projects, some much more complex, some really simple. He's also gotten away from a lot of the "specialty" tools that he was famous for when he started, but I think that might be more to the fact that WW is much more popular now, eg. A hollow chisel mortiser isn't really extravagant anymore.

Anyways, Hat's Off!

Richard

Gary Keedwell
02-18-2007, 1:59 PM
Watching Norm over 17 years ago inspired me. I used to make sure I got up early on Sunday morning to view his show. His calm demure and folksy way was right at home with my coffee and muffin.
Gary K.;)

Rod Peterson
02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Also, to consider: He makes 13 episodes of NYW every year, plus 13 TOH.

On top of that, I get the impression that Norm actually builds all of the projects (twice I might add)

I believe the TOH committment is 26 episodes.

Your impression is correct; Norm builds the projects, and he builds two of everything.

I've had a tremor in my hands since I was in my 20s. I attributed it to air traffic control for a long time, but I've been retired nine years now. It went away for a while, but it's back. It's not any worse now than when I was 30, so it's probably not pre-Parkinson's, but I have the same aggravations as Norm demonstrated in his painting in this episode.