PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Tool Steel?

Lloyd Parker
02-10-2007, 11:42 AM
I am thinking of making a marking knife. I have some 1/2" O1 tool steel. I am wondering how people/manufactors get that polished look on the steel?

I have read somewhere about a 3M magic wheel. Does anybody know what this does or what it is for or even where I can get one if that is what I need?

Thanks,

Don Naples
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I have read somewhere about a 3M magic wheel. Does anybody know what this does or what it is for or even where I can get one if that is what I need?
Thanks,
Lloyd:

3M has made many different abrasive wheels over the years, for different polishing applications. They house samples of them at their CAM center in St. Paul Minnesota. They often develop a new method and discontinue the old method. Many of their current polishing methods involve a form of their Scotch-Brite technology. You might also look at their EXL unitized deburring wheels. You can also use the abrasives I tested and sell for the Lap-Sharp (all made by 3M). They are available in grit sizes down to one micron and will provide a flat honing of the edge, where a wheel can cause rounding of the edge, if that is a concern for your application. Since they are PSA backed, you can apply them to any flat disc and mount it on a lathe or other rotating machine. Do be careful of speed of rotation as at fine abrasive grit sizes, you can quickly burn a tool edge and cause loss of temper or if you quench it to keep it cool, you can reharden the steel causing it to be more brittle. Don

Clint Jones
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
You are looking for a 3m Deburring wheel or "Magic Wheel". Most will fit on your standard bench grinder. You probably should be looking for one in the "fine" category. These wheels will give you the mirror finish you seek. You can get them on eBay or MSC Industrial Supply http://www1.mscdirect.com/ has them just search for deburring wheel. I suggest buying a 3M brand.

Tony Zaffuto
02-10-2007, 1:21 PM
I think I would try some wet/dry paper (Sc), using the same range of grits as needed for "ScarySharp". Go to 2000 or 2500 grit )available at auto parts stores, and then try some DuPont Perfectit III (a final finishing polish for auto paint, also buy at autp parts store). I've made more than a few chisels, striking knives, etc. and have put a mirror finish on whatever I desire using this method. I have yet to try it on O1, but I have used it on A2 and S7.

Cecil Arnold
02-10-2007, 2:37 PM
Lloyd,

It's pretty much what Tony said. If you have a stationary belt sander you can use sanding belts up to about 400 grit. Beyond that the belts will start to heat up the steel too much. There are cork and cloth faced belts that can be loaded with red rouge and other compounds, followed by a buffing wheel if you really want a high polish. You can check out Janitz or Texas Knife Supply for sanding belts any other related knife making products including steels and heat treating services.

Dave Burnard
02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Lloyd, I'm thinking you want to polish out the whole body of the knife, right?

I use a couple of Scotch Brite wheels (from MSC) to polish out hammer faces.
I work up through 320 grit on a belt grinder and then switch to a medium and then fine scotchbrite wheel. This works well on the hardened steel hammer faces. I've not tried it on the body of a chisel or knife. The wheels I have are rated "hard", so they aren't intended to deform while polishing. Another obvious solution would be buffing wheels and various polishing compounds.