PDA

View Full Version : Rough sawn hardwoods in SE Michigan

Greg McCallister
02-10-2007, 9:41 AM
I have used the search engines for suppliers of rough sawn hardwoods in my area but in certain aspects they are large and have limited hours. Was wondering if anyone knows of a small unadvertised outfit or someone who sells out of their house locally? I am not in need of hundreds of BF of lumber as I am only a weekend warrior at best and currently have limited storage space available. I live in the Sterling Heights area but work in Auburn Hills.
If you do not know of a smaller one - which one(s) have you had good service and reasonable prices?

Lars Thomas
02-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I would consider this South West MI - but this is where I get most of my stuff . . .http://www.hickoryandoak.com. Might be worth a little road trip for you. Lars

Greg McCallister
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply but that would be one heck of a road trip for me and like I previously stated I do not have the room to store a large amout. Not feesable at this time but they do have some good prices...

Brent Grooms
02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
anything in particular you are looking for? there is always armstrongs in highland twp on M-59. Pricy but have good stuff. have you tried using woodfinder.com?

James Biddle
02-10-2007, 1:09 PM
Second vote for hickoryandoak. He takes small orders and brings the total amount out to our group (Southeast Michigan Woodworkers) 2 or 3 times per year. Search for our website and find the next date he'll be coming, as well as a listing of all the local wood suppliers.

Geoffrey Mills
02-10-2007, 1:18 PM
Greg,
PM sent

David Cramer
02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey Greg, try Van Zanen's on Utica Road in Fraser. Call them first, because I am not sure of the amount of "rough sawn" lumber that they have, but my BIL lives in that area and has gotten hardwoods from them in the past. If not, as Brent said, Armstrongs in Highland is his other favorite place. Good luck! Just sharing what he told me.

Dave

p.s. Just call your local Woodcraft store and I "guarantee" one of the workers there will tell you exactly where to go to find rough sawn lumber.

Jim Young
02-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Here is the list our club put together.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LumberSources