PDA

View Full Version : What is the most "interesting" tool gift you have received?

Doug M Jones
02-10-2007, 6:12 AM
Last year for Christmas, I got a battery operated tape measure, the thing weighs about a pound and a half. This year I got a battery powered crescent wrench.

I love my daughters but when I see a commercial for a "New" battery operated version of a standard tool on the air after Christmas, I know I am going to get one under the tree. They think they are getting their old dad the most useful worksaver. The worst part is that I need to make sure that the tool is in my tool box and that I use it if they are around.

Hopefully this doesn't come off too negative because I love seeing the look in their eyes when they give me the super tool and wouldn't change a thing but wondered if anyone else had tool gift stories to share.

Dewayne Reding
02-10-2007, 7:46 AM
That distinction probably belongs to my "Talking Tire Guage". Thanks Mom, you're right, I didn't have that one already. I tried to hide my disappointment as I was hoping for a singing benchplane. :)

Ralph Dobbertin
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
LOL you guys kill me...too funny, I broke out laughing!

Jim Becker
02-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I've never gotten a "tool gift" and in general, I hope it stays that way. So I'd have to subsitute the cheese knife set that the girls "got me" for their first Christmas in the US... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Grand kids were worried about Grandpa's safety while elk hunting....got me a florescent orange safety tool....with a built in compass...whistle..waterproof match holder...I forget what other safety devices are in it. It's a cheap plastic thing....I kinda like the compass...I can set it to what ever direction I want and it stays there so I'm never lost...:eek: :D It's never seen the inside of my daypack.......10 years after I got it ...it still resides on my dresser even though they are mostly adults now....it was the thought!

David G Baker
02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
The LOML is an Avon rep, once in a while Avon comes up with what they consider something every man should have. Guess what shows up under the tree? One tool was great, it was a right angle drill attachment. It actually worked so well I went out and bought a heavy duty right angle drill/power driver.
David B

Art Mulder
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Well lets see... Twice now I've gotten duplicates of things. The family got a bit mixed up on managing the wish list. :cool:

Then there was the time early in our marriage when I asked for a square (thinking framing square) and my wife slipped a 4' drywall square under the tree. Funny thing is, I've kept it (she insisted it was on a great sale) and used it quite a bit over the past 10 years. It's usefull when marking things out on sheet goods.

I'm sure I've got lots to look forward too, as my kids get older...

Reminds me. I need to get my brother one of those metric adjustable wrenches for his birthday... :D

Pete Brown
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
LOL! Just remember that it's the thought :p

My wife has learned to only purchase pre-approved tools :) She knows I am picky as anything.

Every year I make sure I update my Lee Valley, Rockler, Amazon and MyGiftList wish lists to provide lots of options. heh

Pete

Pete Brown
02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Last year for Christmas, I got a battery operated tape measure, the thing weighs about a pound and a half. This year I got a battery powered crescent wrench.

Ok, so what does the battery do in the tape measure? Is it a powered retract, or does it zap you when you're off by 1/16" ? ;)

Actually, I could use a square that would zap me every time I'm out of square. hehe

Pete

Rick Potter
02-10-2007, 1:07 PM
Well, let's see now,

First, a non tool...My wife got me a new wallet. Naturally, the configuration was not the type I like, and I had to get used to keeping credit cards etc. in inaccessable places......for the last 10 years. Wonder if she would use a new purse that I thought was 'cute'.

For Christmas one year I got another 'cutie'. This one is a cheesy 4" Crescent wrench lookalike, with screwdrivers, a nail file, and tiny scissors in the handle. It has my initials on the handle too. Another hopefully sincere smile, and it went into the glove compartment of my truck. Gotta admit, I did actually use it once to tighten battery connections.

Then there was the 'homeowners tool kit in a box' type deal she got mail order. Picture an 8" tall plastic drawer unit with a bunch of tiny nails, screws, etc., all such cheap quality that it was unuseable. Hanging on the back were half a dozen tiny screwdrivers. Bright smile..."just what I needed".

Kept it around for a year or so, but it vanished one day. Burglers I guess.

Rick Potter

Steve Kohn
02-10-2007, 4:11 PM
After 30+ years of marriage my wife has learned. I mark catalogs and leave they lying around, or put my wish list on Amazon. The only disappointment now is that much of the stuff I want is too expensive for gifts. Of course that means I have to buy it for myself.

David Cramer
02-10-2007, 4:13 PM
A metal tool box from my 2 kids with the outside painted to their liking, and both hands dipped in paint and then "autographed" on the outside of the tool box. My wife got it "somewhere" for Father's Day a couple years and the kid's then get stickers and paint to do as they please. It's a keeper for life!!!

Dave

p.s. Still waiting on that surprise Minimax 4.8 HP Bandsaw to show up unannouced in my workshop.............not holding my breath on that one!!!