PDA

View Full Version : lasering laptops & Ipods - anyone try is?

Mike Burroughs
02-10-2007, 4:29 AM
I seen the videos and see that it can be done.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried it and how well did it turn out.

Also if you could share what settings you used would be great. I have a friend that gives away ipods in his business and would like to have his logo/business name engraved on them.

Mike

Bruce Volden
02-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I just did an Ipod Thursday (my first). It was the metal one (more expensive?). Used cermark @ 10 speed 70 power 400dpi and marked a name and a couple of graphics. Came out great, customer was very happy! The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to turn it off :rolleyes: , I had to make sure it still worked :D . That right there took me about a half hour!!! Should have charged for my time.

Bruce

Keith Outten
02-10-2007, 8:20 PM
Below is a pic of Jackie's laptop I engraved for her, our first attempt at laptop engraving. This is an Acer machine, plastic case so the silver top surface was removed. There is no paint fill.

I have also engraved one of the Mac aluminum case laptops but didn't get a picture.

Ashton Waters
02-11-2007, 4:24 PM
Keith,

Looks good. I'd like to try that on mine. What settings did you use?

Ashton

Frank Corker
02-11-2007, 5:44 PM
Keith, nice job, turned out really well. On the Epilog sample club there is one a chap has done on a laptop using a 75 watt Helix
http://www.epiloglaser.com/sc_lionfish_laptop.htm

Hey Ashton could I have a go at trying it on your laptop before I do mine?

;)

Keith Outten
02-12-2007, 6:21 AM
Ashton,

Sorry, I can't remember the settings I used to engrave the laptop. My speed and power list for my 35 watt Epilog Legend lists 90 speed and 100 power for laserable plastic so that is most likely what I used.

FWIW I test a small area on the bottom of the machine first, engrave the owners initials or something small to test your settings.

I am working on a detailed design for my laptop that I need to complete before Feb 17th. We are having an open house at CNU and I will be setting up a table to display all the new services we are offering students at our new bookstore in the Student Union. I will also be turning pens during the open house, all pens made will be donated to the Freedom Pens Project.

Below is a couple pics of the new gear CNU just purchased, a 48 by 96 ShopBot PRTalpha CNC Router and the new Xenetech XLT1325-60 Engraver.

Rick Maitland
02-12-2007, 9:13 PM
My wife took a pic. of me as I gazed at Keith's new tools.

Keith Outten
02-12-2007, 9:28 PM
Rick,

I fired up the ShopBot today for the first time and machined the table flat to the tool. The Xenetech was installed a couple of weeks ago and has been sitting idle while I assembled the router and attended to other duties. Both will get a workout soon, we have about 4,000 door signs to make plus a two page list of custom signs.

I can't wait to compare the Xenetech to my Epilog. I have a video of a 60 watt Xenetech cutting one inch thick acrylic, and at 150 IPS it should raster engrave laptops real fast :)

Shaddy Dedmore
02-12-2007, 9:33 PM
Remember that if you want the image on the laptop cover to be seen while it's open, the image should be upside down.

Shaddy

Keith Outten
02-13-2007, 6:08 AM
Shaddy,

You have a good eye. The orientation is important and you should ask your customer whether they want the engraved graphic to be viewable when the laptop is open or closed.