PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pictures of zambus casters on MM equipment

Mark Hubler
02-09-2007, 8:02 PM
I am looking to replace the mobility kits on my MM 16 and CU300 with zambus casters. How did you mount yours ands how well do these casters perform?

I was thinking of building a drop axle (like a Model T Ford) for the MM 16, out of angle iron and reinforced clips for the CU300.

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 8:28 PM
Mark, there are some pictures of the Zambus casters on both a BS and a combo in the pictures section of the MM discussion group on Yahoo. The BS is easy...the threads in the base supposedly match those in the casters. Since the Zambus casters disengage the wheels from the floor when you crank down the feet, you not only get mobility when you want it, you also get solid contact with the floor for both stability and leveling capability. You'll need to build brackets for the combo. I was thinking about them originally for my S315 WS, but have decided it's a "stationary" machine and staying in place to hold down the floor... :)

Bernhard Lampert
02-09-2007, 8:37 PM
First of: I don't have any MM equipment, but most everything I do have is mounted on Zambus casters . I have a Felder FB640 bandsaw, looks very much like a MM24, I think they are manufactured in part by the same company. The casters (stem type, M12) mount directly into existing threaded holes on the saw. A friend of mine has the same set-up on his MM bandsaw. The casters are not cheap, but worth it.
If I can figure out how to attach pictures, I'll post some tomorrow.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 9:06 PM
FThe casters are not cheap, but worth it.

That was my thought at first, but when you compare the cost of four of these excellent casters/machinery mounts with that of a welded mobile base...they don't look so bad afterall!

Jeff Wright
02-09-2007, 9:25 PM
For some things in life there should be no doubt . . . Putting Zambus casters on your MM bandsaw is one such example!! I put a set of Zambus AC-300S casters on my MM20, the same set you would use on the MM16. The provided threaded bolt is the same metric size as the threaded hole on the base of the bandsaw. Install took about 20 minutes for all four casters. Saw glides like a breeze with one hand. Wheels lock tight easily as Jim mentioned. I even put a set on my Oneida 3HP DC sytem for those times when I need to move it about the shop rather than tearing up my freshly painted shop floor. Order them directly from their website at www.zambus.com (http://www.zambus.com). No affiliation other than a happy customer.

Roy Wall
02-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Jeff,

You say a bolt is included.......? I don't see any mention on the website...I'll keep looking......

How much leveling adjustment is capable?

Jeff Wright
02-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Jeff,

You say a bolt is included.......? I don't see any mention on the website...I'll keep looking......

I don't believe that mention that on their site, but you will find the bolts in the package with the casters. I first elevated the bandsaw on one end by lifting it up and shoving two 2x4s under that end, screwed the provided bolts down from the top of the base, use an allen wrench since the bolts have an allen way in their tops. Then I screwed the caster on the threaded bolt as it came out the bottom of the threaded hole in the saw base. Once the two casters were on that end, I repeated the process on the other end of the saw. I also find the saw very stable to move. My MM20 weighs nearly 800 pounds.

Dan Forman
02-10-2007, 4:01 AM
I don't see any pricing info, how much are the ac 300s for a set of 4?

Dan

fred woltersdorf
02-10-2007, 6:45 AM

Dan

mark, i was going to put the zambus castors on my mm16 because i have an uneven floor and the mobility kit wasn't working out for me.i contacted zambus and the price was something like $32 each.i ended up getting a delta mobile base for around $90.works like a dream to move around and very stable also.there was a previous thread on this which i attach so you can see a picture of what mine looks like.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=485135#post485135

Ray klosek
02-10-2007, 6:54 AM
Mark

I posted pictures of the Zambus castors I installed on my CU 300 on the MM forum site, only raised the machine 3/4"

Bernhard Lampert
02-10-2007, 9:14 AM

Dan

The last set of AC300S (S = stem) Casters (set of 4)I bought about 8 weeks ago came to $141 including s/h to North Carolina.
BTW, if you get the Stem type casters, the Allan set crew and a nut are included for each caster. They are metric, M12 thread.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Bernhard Lampert
02-10-2007, 9:27 AM
Jeff,

How much leveling adjustment is capable?

The AC300 type (300kg load capacity/caster (~660lbs)) can raise the equipment about 1", but it is possible to double that height by placing a spacer under the leveling foot in its fully retracted position.
Apart from the leveling feature, the leveling foot renders the equipment rock solid. All other caster/mobile bases I have tried had a considerable amount of "wiggle" that made machine operation less accurate and precise and a bit more dangerous.
I placed all my equipment on Zambus casters (except for the Felder, combo it has its own mobility kit). Since there is no such thing as a big enough shop, lesser used equipment can be pushed out of the way.
PS I don't have any connection to Zambus, they just have a good, well made and well engineered product.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Roy Wall
02-10-2007, 9:42 AM
The AC300 type (300kg load capacity/caster (~660lbs)) can raise the equipment about 1", but it is possible to double that height by placing a spacer under the leveling foot in its fully retracted position.
Apart from the leveling feature, the leveling foot renders the equipment rock solid. All other caster/mobile bases I have tried had a considerable amount of "wiggle" that made machine operation less accurate and precise and a bit more dangerous.
I placed all my equipment on Zambus casters (except for the Felder, combo it has its own mobility kit). Since there is no such thing as a big enough shop, lesser used equipment can be pushed out of the way.
PS I don't have any connection to Zambus, they just have a good, well made and well engineered product.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Thank you Bernhard!

I currently have the band saw "shimmed level" and raised about 2" - so it matches up with my extension table on the TS (for long outfeed) The slope of the floor is about 1/4" fall over the footprint of the Band saw.

I like the claim of "rock solid" -- I didn't think this was possible on a mobile base......