PDA

View Full Version : BestWoodTools?

Jack Norfleet
02-09-2007, 5:52 PM
What is your opinion of BestWoodTools as a vendor? On January 15 I ordered a new tool post and tbar for my Jet 1642. I still have not received my order and two emails and two phone messages have not been returned.

I am starting to worry and I am thinking about disputing the order through my credit card.

Jack

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 6:05 PM
I seem to remember that Victor was a bit slow on an order of mine awhile back. But no communication since 15 January would be bothering me big-time...just for principles.

Gordon Seto
02-09-2007, 6:11 PM
Jack,

They are a family operation. It seems to me that they spend more time at various woodturners' gathering taking orders than staying at their shop producing. When they are on the road, they usually don't have good communication with customers.

Unfortunately that is how they chose to conduct their business. You should still have plenty of time to dispute the charges with your credit card. Give them some time. Their products have been high quality.

You can check out the vendor lists of recent regional symposium, and see whether they are there.

Gordon

Jack Norfleet
02-09-2007, 6:35 PM
I figured they were a small business.

My local Woodcraft carries their products but was out of the tool posts. I thought I could save some time by ordering both items direct but obviously was mistaken. I guess I will give them a little more time even though I really wanted the shorter tool rest to do some pens.

Oh well, live and learn.

Gordon Seto
02-09-2007, 6:48 PM
Jack,

There are alternatives: I think CSUSA and Packard also carry them. They may have them in stock. Sometimes if the product that you are ordering is not in their schedule, it may take a long time.

Monster Tool also makes very nice tool rest.
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.php

Only use credit card dispute as the last resort, because the charge back fee to the vendor is usually unreasonably high.

Gordon

Bill Turpin
02-09-2007, 8:33 PM
We have ordered from them several times with 100% satisfaction. Ordered custom length tool rests at same price as cataloged items. My wife LOVES their keyless chuck. After five carpal tunnel release operations she can not use a regular keyed chuck. The bits always slip. After a full year with BW chuck she has had 0% slippage. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

Jack Norfleet
02-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I will give them more time.

My dad owned a small hardware store for over thirty years so I try to support small, family owned businesses when possible. If they still can't deliver, I will try to cancel the order with them before disupting the credit card charge.

Kevin McPeek
02-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I talked to one of their friends at DWR today who also carries some of their stuff and was informed that they had a machine go down so they were backed-up a few weeks. Their stuff looks to be top quality though.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Wonder how far they are backed up. I was going to put a order into them but don't want to wait 3 to 6 months to get it. I think I will e-mail or call them and see if I can talk with them. Thanks for the heads up. I also like to deal with small family owned businesses.

Hilel Salomon
02-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I have no problem with a vendor who is slow, backed up, or suffers some problem in filling my order. I do have a problem with a vendor who doesn't return emails or phone calls. Often, I email a potential vendor a few times with inquiries, and depending upon how they respond, I put in an order or don't. Occasionally a dealer will miss out on a repetitive and profligate consumer like me by writing him off as a "be backer" or pest. When a discounter of Oneway stuff in the D.C. area just didn't answer any of my inquiries, I went to another seller in the same area who was a few dollars more expensive but answered everything promptly. That dealer wound up filling my orders for about $2500 of Oneway products over the next 4 months. He was not only prompt in answering my inquiries, but fantastic about getting the stuff to me. He normally deals with turning club members, but if you would like, I can share his site in a PM. Vendors need to respond to inquiries from their customers as soon as possible. If there will be delays, they should explain this. Better still, they should warn customers before the orders are accepted. IMO 25 days is inordinately slow. Best woods is one of the few vendors with whom I haven't dealt. From what I see it will remain so.
There are several other sources for tool posts. I like the ones I got from John Lea.

Jack Norfleet
02-10-2007, 6:55 PM
BestWoodTools called me today and sincerely apologized for the mixup. They had shipped the order on the 23rd of January and had no idea that I did not receive it.

I happened to call on days they were away getting materials so they returned my call as soon as they realized there was a problem. They offered me a refund, or to send my order again priority mail. You cannot get more fair than that.

I chose the second option and promised to return the other shipment should it arrive. I have had a similar thing happen where I ordered some parts which didn't arrive. I called and they reshipped and both shipments arrived within a couple of days of each other.

Overall, I am very pleased with the way they handled the issue and strongly recommend them as a vendor. Now if only their tool rests would make me a better turner.