PDA

View Full Version : What lathe do you recomend under 1k

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 3:28 PM
I'm just wondering what lathe everyone likes best under 1k. I think I'm going to out grow my jet mini sometime yesterday.:D Theres a jet on sale at Woodworkers Source for 899.00 but I can't rember the model number.

TYLER WOOD
02-09-2007, 3:41 PM
The jet is probably the 708358 which has 14" swing 42" c/c and 1 hp
there is a delta 46-715 for $697 that is 14" swing 40" c/c 1 hp
or palmgren 84315 for $299 that is 15" swing 38" c/c 1 hp

I have seen several people on here ordering the palmgren. (maybe me too, uncle sam present???) Some have had problems with the headstock, but have gotten it resolved immediately. For the size and price I would say the palmgren.

But I'm sure there will be those to say save your money and get eh PM, Oneway, Stubby or such!

Dario Octaviano
02-09-2007, 3:45 PM
Nova 1624-44

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20011

You can get it w/ free G3 chuck too :D

Nova 1624-44 Wood Lathe with Free G3 Chuck #147595P

Bob Noles
02-09-2007, 4:58 PM
Bill,

I believe you are looking at the Jet 1442 which is a lot of bang for the buck. A good lathe with a good reputation all around. Neal Addy is one of our members here that uses this lathe and he turns out some great work with it. He has indicated much satisfaction with this model and you may want to get in touch with him for some details on it. I looked at this model myself and would probably had it in my shop if my shop were just a tad bit bigger.

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 5:01 PM
Thats the other problem I'm dealing with. My shop is a square peg in a round hole. Even if I turn the square peg it still doesn't fit.:(

George Tokarev
02-09-2007, 5:17 PM
I'd look real hard at the Teknatool. I've got his elder brother, and it's a great lathe, with speeds down to where you can swing a real weird piece with it, even wet. Haven't had mine above 680 in the two years he's been here, but there's a lot of top end if you feel you need it. It's rigid, nice long quill travel on the tail end, and a very well-designed toolrest and banjo.

Minding the grandbaby right now, and need to finish dinner, so this will have to stay on it until tomorrow, but as you can see, it was a real out-of-balance piece at 15x10 and soaking birch before it dried. No problem for the 3000.

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 5:34 PM
Thats a beautiful piece, nice lathe too. So much to choose from...so little space.:confused:

Dario Octaviano
02-09-2007, 5:38 PM
Want a small footprint? Look at the bowl lathes (stubby, VB, etc) :D

Bob Noles
02-09-2007, 6:04 PM
Want a small footprint? Look at the bowl lathes (stubby, VB, etc) :D

Dario,

Tyler saw you coming :D

Dario Octaviano
02-09-2007, 6:06 PM
I did recommend a lathe less than 1K prior! :p :D LOL

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 6:36 PM
Want a small footprint? Look at the bowl lathes (stubby, VB, etc) :D Thanks, do you know where I can see one of those?

Neal Addy
02-09-2007, 8:55 PM
Lots of choices under $1K. I really like my Jet 1442 but it comes with a few compromises. On the plus side, it's one of the sturdiest lathes available in that price range and the quality is first rate. On the other hand, it is a Reeves drive... no EVS, reverse, etc. I still think it is worth the money.

The Nova 1624-44 looks like a lathe to consider side-by-side. It's not quite as beefy but it does have a extra few bells and whistles not offered by the Jet.

If I had it to do over again I would have held out for a Jet 1642. Best of both worlds and a lot of lathe for the money. As it stands now, I'll just wait for a PM in a few years. :D

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 9:04 PM
Thanks everyone. I really want to try something segmented around 20 inches in diameter:eek: I don't think the mini is gonna handle that. The 1642, around how much? I have a jet table saw and a few other tools and they've never let me down. Someone mentioned a lathe called a Grizly. Anyone have an opinion?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 9:14 PM
Bill.......Most of the Grizzley lathes I've looked at on their website have a low end RPM that I wouldn't feel comfortable turning a 20" diameter HF or anything else with....their low end speed is way too fast....I find 500 RPM on my Jet MiniVS too fast at times...JMHO.....

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 9:20 PM
I agree, I wish I could slow down my mini. This last piece I made was a real challenge.

Neal Addy
02-09-2007, 9:25 PM
20" for under $1K you're probably talking used. I'd keep an eye on the usual places (Craigs List, forums, etc).

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 9:44 PM
20" for under $1K you're probably talking used. I'd keep an eye on the usual places (Craigs List, forums, etc).

Agree totally...for that kind of turning, you really need something with a lot of mass. Keep your eye out for "pre-owned" and at the same time, save away for something bigger with true variable speed. You may also find a "big lathe" used that you can retrofit with surplus VDF and 3-phase motor for said true VS. You really need to go to $2K or so for that, unfortunately, if you want new.

Gordon Seto
02-09-2007, 9:44 PM
Bill,

Forget about the Grizzly, they don't have a good track record on woodworking lathes. IMO, their lathes are repackaged old design lathes with unpractical Mickey Mouse bells & whistles.

20" segmented turning demands a solid precision lathe. $1K price range is on the low side.
If possible, take a class at places like Arrowmont. You will have personal experience on most brands of better lathes. You will know what features you value most.

Don't just compare the spec. sheets. A lot of them are misleading. A lot of the cheaper lathes seems to have huge capacity, but their integrity won't allow you to turn on anything close to the max. capacity.

Gordon

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 9:47 PM
Thank you Gordon. What price range do you think will give me something solid and will last and what would you recomend? I get a feeling I'll be doing this for a very long time:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 10:06 PM
BIll.....I've been looking at lathes to upgrade from my mini for a number of months. For what you want to do and based on you obvious talent....You ought to look at the $2300-5000+ range.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Bill in my honest opinion with your talent, seeing what you do and what I hear you wanting to do as far as bigger segmented turnings I can see at least as a minimum either the Jet 1642 or the PM3520. If you don't get something like these 2 with a lot of mass to them I would say you need to scale down your ideas you have for big segmented turning. Just my $1.298.

Bill Wyko
02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I think I'll save a little longer. I do have a shopsmith I was given by a customer of mine but It just seem like it's OK at a lot of things but not great at anything. I've never even turned it on.:confused: Any opinions on the shop smith?

Gordon Seto
02-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I get a feeling I'll be doing this for a very long time:rolleyes:
Bill,

What do others suggest doesn't matter. Each has his style of turning. Some features that I like may be something you want to avoid. Most of us have turned on limited numbers of lathes; we may fall into the trap of being the cheer leaders of what we own. Just like buying automobiles, some may choose mini vans, but you may want a station wagon. The reason I suggest you take a class at Arrowmont because those lathes are subjected to students using them 6 days a week. You can drive them hard hours after hours. You will have some idea whether you really like which one better. Lathes are heavy, you would lose money each time you upgrade.
There is local AAW chapter in Tucson, AZ. I would strongly suggest you attend their meeting. You may be able to test on some lathes that you have in mind.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List#AZ
For 20" segment vase, I think the best bang for the buck is the Powermatic 3520B.

Gordon

Neal Addy
02-10-2007, 12:31 AM
I'd agree that the PM3520 would be a good fit for you. You need the swing, bulk, and quality of a PM if you want to do large segmented work. And, for your skill level, it would be worthy of the turning you are doing (both now and as you progress).

Just my $.02.

Bill Boehme
02-10-2007, 12:44 AM
On the other hand, it is a Reeves drive... no EVS, reverse, etc.
If you will show up at one of our club meetings (WNT (http://www.wntx.org)), I will show you how it can be reversed -- I did it with my Delta 1440. All that it takes is no fear of disassembling your lathe's motor. Your motor would be a bit different, but manageable, I am sure. The last picture is the new motor for my delta lathe -- 1.5 HP Baldor ZDM3584T (http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=2&catalogonly=1&catalog=ZDM3584T&product=AC+Motors&family=Vector%7Cvw%5FACMotors%5FVector&winding=05WGW053&rating=40C+AMB%2DCONT).

Bill

NOTE: I don't know if the above offer is an incentive or a disincentive.

Bill Boehme
02-10-2007, 1:01 AM
I think I'll save a little longer. I do have a shopsmith I was given by a customer of mine but It just seem like it's OK at a lot of things but not great at anything. I've never even turned it on.:confused: Any opinions on the shop smith?

Even though the Shop Smith is regarded as being at the bottom of the food chain by most turners, it is the turner and not the tools that mean the most. One of the members of our club turns segmented pieces on a Shop Smith and he won a ribbon at the Texas State Fair last year. He was also one of the small number of turners invited to create a turning for the drawing at the SWAT banquet last year. I would say that he humbles a lot of people using big fancy lathes.

Bill

George Tokarev
02-10-2007, 6:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I really want to try something segmented around 20 inches in diameter:eek: I don't think the mini is gonna handle that. The 1642, around how much? I have a jet table saw and a few other tools and they've never let me down. Someone mentioned a lathe called a Grizly. Anyone have an opinion?

If that diameter, you're certainly looking to get a long bed on the lathe. Imagine you'll want to use some sort of a captured hollowing rig to minimize risk, and will use a steady or two to dampen oscillations. Though others will mention the convention, I'll try wisdom and remind you that all the lathes bolt onto tops or legs, so mass is not required, rather rigidity. You can bolt it to the slab if you care to.

Then think of what really counts, and that's slow speed. Look there first, and make sure you have genuine slow speed, not some undertorqued version, because if you're going to scrape inside, torque is time.

Next in importance is the support perpendicular to the axis of rotation, which is to say your steadies. They'll never be any more rigid than the composition of the wheels that register against the outside of the form you trued up using the tailstock, so you pay your cash and take the trash there. Steel wheels and no elastic collisions will certainly make the wood pay for your scraping indiscretions. Means even talk of rigidity in the lathe, so important in other areas, isn't really as critical here.

Guess what I'm saying is follow the white herring, which is speed control, and the Grizzly has neither that nor the best QC in my experience.

Joyce Baldauf
02-11-2007, 5:46 PM
The 1642, around how much? I have a jet table saw and a few other tools and they've never let me down.

Bill,

The 1642 EVS 1.5 hp goes for around $1699.99. There is currently a $100.00 rebate on them from Jet. Check around for price then e-mail Tool Nut for their price. They frequently offer free shipping, which can be a consideralbe savings. But, I have to warn you this is not a small lathe.

Good luck,
Joyce