PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Jim Myers
02-09-2007, 1:25 PM
I have been reading this for a bit and guess it is time to say hello.

I am the very picture of a hobbiest in that my tools are nothing to shout from the rooftops about.

I have a Skil Xshop since I am allowed a very small part of the garage by the LOML but she is comming around. I took pictures of the first thing I made on it to change her mind.

This box is stained 3/4 red oak with a 1/8 in purpleheart inlay. The first time I ever tried to build anything and I think it came out ok. THis was totaly done with the Xshop, Skil router (both in the saw and freehand), and a Jigsaw mounted as a scroll saw.

I also got into pen turning but I use a drill press lathe attachment due to space and money constraints. It was a simple slimline and it turned out ok.

Hope to continue learning.

jonathan snyder
02-09-2007, 1:53 PM
Welcome to the creek Jim,

I like the Celtic design. Very nice jewelry box, that was one of my first projects too. Hope she lets you have at least 1/2 of the garage!! Maybe if you put something new and sparkley in that jewelry box;)

Jonathan

Mike Hill
02-09-2007, 2:11 PM
Jim, welcome to the Creek. Your first project and with minimal tools is very nice. I sure wish I had more initial experience on hand tools though and in your situation, you could really zero in on using planes, chisels, hand scrapers etc. There are a ton of great beginning woodworking books out there to help and you can ask about anything on here and get some very good advice. If you are going to do anymore box building, try something out of walnut or cherry and use a boiled linseed oil finish (BLO). Boxes increase your skills with joints, hinges and working wood to a smooth finish. Good luck to you and enjoy.
Mike

Jim Myers
02-09-2007, 2:18 PM
Forgot to say this is finished with 4 coats of Dainsh Oil and then paste wax.

Also no nails and the only screws hold the hardware on. :)

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 3:33 PM
Geepers...new guy and he already "wows" us with some great work! Welcome aboard, Jim!

Please consider entering some idea of your general location in your profile. It can be helpful for folks in your area to know about and possibly meet another woodworker. I've made a lot of friends that way, both locally and as I travel on business.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 3:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jim! Most of us started with few tools...I know I did. You've done very well with what you have! Nice box!

Again....Welcome!

Ted Miller
02-09-2007, 4:27 PM
Jim, Welcome, nice project you have there, and tools are only as good as the operator. I built cabinets for years on a RAS, Skill saw and my corded Milwaukee drill...