PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 64 Table Saw?

Jeff Weight
02-09-2007, 1:14 PM
I have the opportunity to pickup a Powermatic Model 64 table saw with a 52" Accufence. The saw appears to be in very good condition with little use. The price is right.

I'm just not sure it's worth upgrading my Delta/Rockwell 9" contractors saw. My saw has a 40" Beisemeyer fence, upgraded 1.5 HP Baldor motor, double cast iron machined pullies and belts, along with the PALS alignment system. It has been finely tuned, and easily passes the Nickel test. I've been wanting a cabinet or hybrid saw for sometime, and I could really use the 10" capacity with larger table and longer fence. Unfortunately the cost of those saws aren't in the budget right now, but I could easily swing the Powermatic.

So I'm looking for all opinions and advice. Would you upgrade to another contractor saw, or wait for the major upgrade to a cabinet or hybrid saw?

Thanks for you help :)

Jeff

frank shic
02-09-2007, 1:27 PM
i've got the powermatic 64 contractor's saw which works pretty well but i've noticed that it's harder to find zero clearance inserts that will work with it. i'd pass on switching from one contractor's saw to another and put the money into a sliding table like either a jessem or an exaktor as the improved crosscutting ability makes your table saw much safer and much more useful. other upgrades possibilities include the digifence for truly accurate and repeatable measurements and the sharkguard for improved dust collection.

Jake Helmboldt
02-09-2007, 1:44 PM
Jeff, someone else just asked this question about a week ago. Rather than repost my opinions take a look. In short, pass on it. Upgrade to a cabinet saw when you can, the 64 is a lateral move.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50627&highlight=Powermatic

Dennis Hatchett
02-09-2007, 1:55 PM
Would you upgrade to another contractor saw, or wait for the major upgrade to a cabinet or hybrid saw? Jeff

I gotta agree with Jake that this is an unnecessary upgrade since your current saw does most of what you want and the powermatic would be a temporary upgrade at best. Every time you make a change there is a learning curve and new set up etc... Sounds like it would be a minimal improvement when you already have a proven winner.

On the other hand, getting a new tool is the man equivalent of moving the furniture or changing your hairstyle. Just kinda makes you feel good for a while even if you just daydream about it and never pull the trigger. Who says we're not hormonal?:D

scott spencer
02-09-2007, 3:44 PM
Jeff - The move would give you a slight increase in capacity, but unless the move is nearly cost free, I don't think I'd bother....you're current setup sounds like it's pretty tricked out.

George Summers
02-09-2007, 8:10 PM
If the PM64 is truly a 'super' price, how much could you get for it if you turn around a sell it, and, how much could you get for your current saw? Add these two numbers and subtract the cost of the PM, are you closer to the $$$ you need to buy what you really want?

George

Jeff Weight
02-10-2007, 9:51 AM
If the PM64 is truly a 'super' price, how much could you get for it if you turn around a sell it, and, how much could you get for your current saw? Add these two numbers and subtract the cost of the PM, are you closer to the $$$ you need to buy what you really want?

George

I've considered this option. Thanks to everyone for there comments. I believe you are wise and buying the saw is really only a lateral move.

Jeff