PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Dave Worsley
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Well i stummbled onto this site and have enjoyed it the short time i have been here. I love to read and work with wood, Iam a hobbiest, but would love to have a shop as many of you have now, Someday. Right now i have just enough too keep me intrested, But my cash flow is very limited as iam putting two kids through collage, and belive me that is'nt cheep? But now i just sit back and read and learn from all of your post,Great site and plane too learn alot from here. I was given a table saw some time ago (craftmans), and it will work for now along with a router and bandsaw,(Low budget) equipment. I have went too some high end tools stores, and just dream and ask alot of qustion, where do alot of you guys buy your equipment? Thanks for a Great Fourm, theres alot of great info here.

Dave

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome aboard, Dave!

David Cramer
02-09-2007, 12:15 PM
From Dave to Dave, welcome aboard from me also. Trust me, you will like it here. I am new and have yet to see any bickering, period. A bunch of decent guys and gals that like to share info and do it with such passion I can't even explain. Welcome!!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Dave,

There are a lot of choices out there as to where to buy tools. There are no right answers.

There are the buy on low price alone types that scour the local adds and internet for the absolute best price.

Some prefer to buy local and support the local WW store even if it costs a bit more. You can touch it and try it out before buying. Makes service or returns easier too.

There are some who are loyal to a single local store (if you are lucky to have one or more) because there is a mentor there that has helped them in the past.

I fell in the latter at first and then migrated to the second group as I have 3 or 4 local WW stores (had 5 some time back). I still buy local if the cost diff is not too high but I do shop the internet to be sure.

Ron Brese
02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Welcome Dave, I've not been here long myself but i think you will find this forum very positive and friendly.

Ron Brese

John Bailey
02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the "Creek" Dave. I'm sure you'll find this a great site and very helpful. I'm a hobbiest who has built my own shop with great advice from members here.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 1:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dave! Wade right in the water's fine!

Dave Fifield
02-09-2007, 1:35 PM
I thought we'd agreed not to let any more "Dave's" join? ;)

Just kidding Dave, welcome to SMC. You'll have a wonderful 'shop full of great woodworking toys, er, tools in no time flat!

Cheers,

Dave Ray
02-09-2007, 1:48 PM
Seems like a lot of "Daves" here. Welcome to the Creek Dave, really good bunch of woodworkers with hearts, always willing to help one another. Loads of talent all in one spot.

another "Dave" :eek: :eek:

Bailey John
02-09-2007, 2:28 PM
Yes, Dave is common but how many John Baileys do we have :eek:

Welcome as I too am a fairly new member. I've got to get around to contributing soon ($$ vs. comments :rolleyes: )

EDIT: Just found Paypal link and made a donation. That was way to easy :)

glenn bradley
02-09-2007, 5:08 PM
Welcome Dave!

Ted Miller
02-09-2007, 5:41 PM
Welcome Dave, I have the best job in the world, I work for the state so lets say I have hours and hours of time searching on the internet for tools, I am the internet tool shopper who needs real help the LOML tells me daily. Auction sites and craigslist are awesome for tools, hell had a guy today stop by and drop off a Makita drill with two batteries and case, old and used but cheap, $20.00 and he had a 10" old Delta 34-080 Miter saw he just gave me for free. So deals are out there, you just have to look...