PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Jig-it

Jeff Caskie
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I am considering purchasing the Rockler Jig-it (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10940) to install some concealed hinges and I am looking for some opinions from those who have used it. One thing that bothers me.. is they don't give any description as to the differences with the inserts other than if you buy their hinges. It seems the whole set would be well over $100 if you get all the templates.

Also are there any cheaper homemade jigs that work just as well (if not better) that I should consider? These could be ones that utilize the EZ System or not. They could also be different ones for drill press/hand drill/router use.

thanks,

Jeff

Jim Fox
02-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Can't just free hand it? I've done that a few times. Actually I've started cheating on the last cabinets I've built. Had a local shop build the doors for me, because of time and lack of interest. They drill the doors for me.

Pete Brown
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Sommerfeld Tools offers a hinge boring jig (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/item.asp?n=shb&d=116&b=1) that looks pretty good.

Pete

Dick Bringhurst
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
You don't mention if you have a drill press or not. If you do you can set it up to drill the cup then drill the smaller holes when you mount the hinge. That way you only have to buy the 35mm bit which you'll need either way and you won't have to buy a bunch of templates. Dick B.

Mark Singer
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I have it and it actually works very well. What is nice is that you can set 2 or more hinges to your carcass measurement and know that it will be consistennt through all the cabinets. Other more expensive jigs just set one at a time....and you measure to set the distance...a great value..IMHO I used it on all the Euro cabinets posted on SMC and many others....that is a lot of cabinets...My Office and the Bath cabinets for the Balboa house and my closet...it still works fine... Get a good carbide bit. you may need to modify the cups..

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 11:28 AM
The jig itself works well based on my experience with the single cup version. I do recommend you source a better forstner bit to drill the 35mm holes, however. You should also be using a corded drill.

Ken Consaul
02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Its just a plastic one for 35mm ones. For repetitive holes you could use a story stick and mark from there.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/concealedkits.htm

Mike Goetzke
02-09-2007, 11:45 AM
You don't mention if you have a drill press or not. If you do you can set it up to drill the cup then drill the smaller holes when you mount the hinge. That way you only have to buy the 35mm bit which you'll need either way and you won't have to buy a bunch of templates. Dick B.

This what I do too. Once you layout the cup hole position you set up the drill press fence and end stop. Also, if you don't have a set already, pick up the Rockler $10 self-centering drill bit set. It makes drilling the screw pilot holes simple/accurate.

Mike

Jeff Caskie
02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes, I have a drill press.. but no table/fence for it as of yet. The current table is for metal working an not totally flat. The deal on T-Tracks finally came around again, so I picked some up for a future dp table project. I also picked up the centering bits.

The Jig-It is pretty basic, which is why I thought somebody might have made their own version. Their hand drill version would lend itself to boring your holes after the carcus is complete. Yes, I could free hand it, but I would rather not. I have future projects in mind where this would be handy to have. I just think for the price.. you could create one very easily.