PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw

Greg McCallister
02-09-2007, 8:47 AM
Ok I do not have a Band-saw and am considering buying one.
Usually I just use a Jig saw but would like something that will be easier to use.
Is a 12" band saw usuable?
I have a very small shop and space is an issue nor do I have an unlimited budget. Any suggestions on a starter saw?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 9:40 AM
Greg...........I don't know about a 12" bs but 14" bandsaws are pretty popular from a size and affordability standpoint. A lot of people buy 14" bs and a riser which provides the bs with more resawing capabililty. I'm sure others will chime in and give you a broader perspective. One thing....more hp is good!

Ted Miller
02-09-2007, 9:46 AM
Greg, As Ken pointed out most of us use a 14" but you need to look at what you are working on and space of course, throat depth could be the major factor...

glenn bradley
02-09-2007, 9:47 AM
I have a 12". Most 14" actually have a smaller footprint than my 12". I would go straight to a 14" of a popular type. Many accessories, tips, tricks, articles, etc. are centered around this size saw. An upgrade is on my list as even with my limited hobbyist approach, the 12" is inadequate. Many folks who move to larger saws keep their 14" because they are valuable to their method of work.

"Gary Brewer"
02-09-2007, 3:24 PM
Greg: Look at Rikon ( Woodcraft ) and Grizzly. They both gotten good comments from people in SMC for starter band saws and are good values. Also check out used Delta 14". The American made ones are very well made and there are tons of parts, information, and service out there for them. Used they go for roughly 1/2 of their new price and usually have extras thrown in. They have been made in the USA up until just a few years ago. Enjoy your hunt.
Gary

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 3:26 PM
The 12" saws, such as the Jet and Delta are quite capable, but really don't take up any less room than the typical 14" machine which generally has a little more power and more flexiblity into the future. The closed stand versions have smaller footprints than the open stand machines, too, so that's what I'd suggest if you can do it. A mobile base will make for easy "getting it out of the way" when it's not in use, too. There are often used machines available that will help you keep the cost down. Keep your eye on the SMC classifieds as well as Craig's List for your area.

Greg McCallister
02-10-2007, 9:30 AM
Thanks eveyone for the replies. I guess I need to do a bit of research on my needs etc...

John Bailey
02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I would agree that a 14" would be the most useful. That's what I ended up getting and it has served me well, even though I want a bigger one. If you can fit it into the space, it will be much more useful.

John