PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
02-09-2007, 7:26 AM
Friday February 9th, 2007

"Good Golly Miss Molly!!" Another work week has come and is almost gone. It's still cold here, although it is supposed to moderate a wee bit over the weekend. We could see double digit temps for highs. That'll be a first in more than a week.

My weekend starts tonight as two of our grand-daughters will be in a fashion show. :) This is all new to us, so not sure what's going to happen. I've got to have them down there at 4:30 so they can get their hair done and practice, I would think. Should be interesting.

Cold temps are making it impractical to work in the shop so I guess I'll be finding something to do in the house.

What's going on in your neck of the woods? If your in Oswego County, New York, I know what you'll be doing. 6 feet :eek: of snow with a couple more predicted for the weekend. WOW!! :eek: Hopefully that'll all be melted by the 4th of July.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Take it easy and be safe.

Karl

Tyler Howell
02-09-2007, 7:36 AM
Hey Karl,
Headed up to the lake, temps are said to be "brutal"
Going to test out some of my home made Chili on the neighbors.
There's even a creeker visit built in.
A little shop time. And then back home.
Have a safe one.
TJH

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2007, 7:45 AM
Good Morning Karl,

Not much here for this coming weekend. I've been sick since Sunday (4 Feb) and am just now getting to the point where I feel well enough to get around a bit more other than just poking around the Creek when I get tired enough of laying around and sleeping.

Since the computer desk is now gone, I'm now waiting for the customer to get with me on when their home office will be done so the desk can be installed. It will be then that I can take pictures and post them here.

I've started a dresser / changing table for some friends of ours that's had their very first child this week. Needless to say, the baby came earlier than planned and since I've been "out of commission" this week, I'm even further behind. :(

As long as my level of wellnes improves, I'll be playing bass at church this Sunday.

Stay warm and dry and may you have a great weekend.

Karl Laustrup
02-09-2007, 9:11 AM
Hey Karl,
Headed up to the lake, temps are said to be "brutal"
Going to test out some of my home made Chili on the neighbors.
There's even a creeker visit built in.
A little shop time. And then back home.
Have a safe one.
TJH

Not cold enough in "The Cities", so you figure you'll head further north and closer to a big body of water. :confused: :eek: Isn't that lake frozen over by now? That would cut a little time off your trip.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 9:27 AM
Great granddaughter visited last week.....She left something .....the LOML and I both have her cold......

Hope to get some turning done....get those knobs done so I can get on with some HF turning.

Guy Germaine
02-09-2007, 9:31 AM
LOML and I both took the day off today. We're headed out for breakfast, and then, it's off to the Woodworking Show! :D

Ted Miller
02-09-2007, 9:35 AM
Karl, Yea is was cold here last night as well, 52 degrees and today I hope it warms up a bit, only 70 degrees yesterday, lol, we are wimps here in So Cal. I grew up in Michigan, don't miss that weather one bit or framing houses in February. This weekend its time for some new shop cabinets, honey dos are mostly done so now its time for me in my shop...

Pete Brown
02-09-2007, 9:37 AM
It's my son's first birthday, so that's what our weekend is going to revolve around :)

Jim Hager
02-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Morning Karl and the rest of the gang. I will be working on a set of shaker style doors for a contractor customer this weekend. I haven't done an entire set of shaker doors yet so we'll see what these look like. I ordered and recieved a new set of shaker door cutters from infinitytools.com and have checked them out a little but haven't run much on them yet. Each door will have a center style or mullion to give the shaker look and each door will have 1/4" panel inserts. I'm kinda anxious to give this a try. I really want them to look great. I've got a total of 48 doors to turn out, plus drawer fronts.

Ya'll have fun out there this weekend and make lots of sawdust

Jerry Ingraham
02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
AAU basketball game tomorrow morning, pull carpet out of one of my rentals, turn a couple bowls, and then start on some new barn style doors for my shed.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Well I finally got clearence to go out to the shop and get some prep work done for a class I'm teaching at American Sycamore in a few weeks. It's a weekend class where we are making 3 nice little shake pieces: a candle sconce, a mirror and a peg rack to hang them from. The problem is I've not made sconces in a very long time and never the mirror nor rack, so... I just need to knock those items out and doccument so I can present a reasonable well ordered class. But hey its the first real woodworking in several weeks so I'm stoked. I may skip sleeping in in the morning just to get a head start on the day!

Everyone be carefull out there!

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I have "Saturday Rat Race" duty this weekend, so it's swimming lessons for Alesya and Karate for Nastia (Nastia's first week as an orange belt! Promoted last week!) and then I'll try to get into the shop to continue my familiarization with a new tool and maybe get started on a new project. I'm thinking that I may move a hall table and some night stands up to the top of the list (it could also be a tool cabinet) as I don't yet have the final prints for the addition...something I need to start on cabinetry other than the two vanities for the master bath. Those I need to decide on a source for the QS cherry. I do need to do some remedial finishing on the doors for the cherry vanity already completed so I can get it stowed away...that will not take long. And I probably should consider some sharpening on the Neander tool side of things...it's been awhile.

Ralph Connor
02-09-2007, 1:11 PM
Friday February 9th, 2007

What's going on in your neck of the woods? If your in Oswego County, New York, I know what you'll be doing. 6 feet :eek: of snow with a couple more predicted for the weekend. WOW!! :eek: Hopefully that'll all be melted by the 4th of July.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Take it easy and be safe.

Karl
Well Karl, for this weekend my plans are to relocate that 6 feet (and counting) of Lake Effect Stuff from the roof of my house and shop to the ground. Although some forecast are calling for the snow to redevelop and stick around until mon-tue.:mad: I figure I will only need a ladder to get on the roof, I should be able to walk straight off the roof to the snow banks when I am done.

My Vol. Fire Department has been spared a lot of calls during this snow but we have been placed on alert for a possible move to some of the areas that have been running non stop this last week. I kinda hope we go, as I would like to help them out and give them a break but I just got a load of fuel and know my house will stay nice and warm.:o

There will be no shop time as it is unheated and uninsulated. In fact I believe my current project (06 Christmas gift) is frozen to my work bench.:(

Al Willits
02-09-2007, 1:28 PM
Just got done insulating the ceiling of the new addition to the garage, well, new a couple of years ago.
I did find out the Styrofoam insulation comes down about 3/4" to far for the main garage door to open......
So redoing that, gotta work Sat, but should finish redoing the insulation sat evening.
Then back at the storage cabinets.
Still bitterly cold so everything will be an indoor project.
Al

Jack Ganssle
02-09-2007, 3:32 PM
Karl,

LOML and I are going to a tea house in Baltimore tonight. (A tea house? Friday night and no adult drinks?)

Tomorrow I'm again taking the youngest out on the road for more driving lessons. Guess I'll need an adult drink tomorrow night...

Between projects now, so probably won't make any sawdust.

Jack

Doug M Jones
02-09-2007, 7:23 PM
Taking my honey out for supper tonight at the local Tex-Mex place. Hopefully put the last couple of coats of oil on some jewelry boxes I am making and start on my honey-do list. I have a very small shop in the unfinished basement so it will be cool but not cold. Have a good one

Keith Cope
02-09-2007, 7:45 PM
Hmm...try to finish the jewelry box for LOML. Head over to Collinsville, IL to the St Louis woodworking show at some point. The stretch goal is get started on bedroom furniture, though I need to decide what I'm building first!