PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel router bit question?

Dan Forman
02-09-2007, 7:10 AM
Is there any advantage to using a router to cut the sort of raised panel that you can do on a table saw with a jig (don't know what it's called, but not ogee or cove)? I have the big Millwaukee router in a table, and about 34" of clearance above my tablesaw. Will be making kitchen cabs as well as others, nothing I can think of at this time that would require a panel longer than 34". Thanks

Dan

Jon Farley
02-09-2007, 7:25 AM
The table saw method works, but one problem that can occur is that any every-so-slight variation in feed rate ar sideways pressure can result it some really ugly burn marks on your work from the saw blade.

Also, I always get a little nervous running boards on edge with the table saw. Therefore, unless I'm in a pinch, I always go with the router.

Matt Day
02-09-2007, 8:32 AM
I read in a FWW article that using the table saw also makes an angled lip that slips into the frame. If you used a router you get a smooth lip that accomodates wood movement better.

Ted Miller
02-09-2007, 9:49 AM
Dan, In the old days the TS was the way but now with a router table and 3 1/4hp router I zip through the Ogee and panel work with smoother work...

glenn bradley
02-09-2007, 9:57 AM
You don't have to stand the panels on end would be my first observation.

Rod Sheridan
02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I agree with not having to stand the panels on end, on the table saw. Now that I own a shaper, I find that I use it for running grooves on the edge of a panel as well, the panel stays flat on the table which is a big improvement over the table saw method.

Obviously a router in a table would have the same benefit.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Since you have the big router, a standard horizontal panel raiser in the profile of your preference is a good way to cut the material. Good use of hold-downs and feather boards will insure constant quality, too.

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2007, 2:43 PM
Router table advantage would be speed, convenience and accuracy...Also better control of the whole process IMHO

Dan Forman
02-09-2007, 4:38 PM
Thanks guys, router it is.

Dan

Jude Tuliszewski
02-09-2007, 4:50 PM
The other thing that comes to mind is the time saved sanding when you use a router to do raised panels. Yes, you do some sanding using a router/shaper but not even close to how much if you use the table saw, no matter how carefull you are.

Jake Helmboldt
02-09-2007, 5:11 PM
Remember, slow the router speed down and end-grain first.

Much fewer steps than TS, but you've already "seen the light".

Dan Forman
02-10-2007, 4:20 AM
Got in on the save 20% deal at Amazon.

Dan