PDA

View Full Version : New Dust Collector Problem

Brian Kent
02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
The LOML bought be a Delta 50-760 Dust Collector for Christmas. Took a long time to come, but I finally brought it home and set it up.

It comes set up for 110, though it can be used with 110 or 220. I plugged it in, turned it on, and popped my surge protector. After re-reading instructions, I tried it again in another plug and popped the gfi. Each time this happened about 2 seconds into start-up, before it reached full speed.

Any ideas?
:confused:
Brian

David G Baker
02-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Brian,
You have a wire touching something it shouldn't be is what it sounds like to me. Pull the motor wiring cover plate, check the switch wiring, etc.
If a GFI pops it is a good indicator that you have a fault that needs corrected.
David B

Hoa Dinh
02-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Induction motors are not known for being compatible with surge protector nor GFI.

IIRC, the motor of the Delta 50-760 is rated at 1.5 HP, or about 13 - 15A @ 120V. The start-up current can be as high as 40 - 50 A. The surge protector and the GFI will pop, trying to do their job.

You need a "regular" 15A (20A is even better) outlet for it.

Brian Kent
02-09-2007, 12:43 AM
I checked under the cover and couldn't find any shorts.

Then I plugged it directly into a socket without gfi. I could hear the motor noise increase, then relax and level off. It worked great.

Thank you both.