PDA

View Full Version : Esta vs Byrd for Jointer & Planer

Grant Stevens
02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I've spent many hours searching this forum, woodweb and others looking for information on cutterhead options for jointers and planers. I still am left unsure about the best option, so I'll throw this out for discussion again...[must stop obsessing about purchases...]

I recently upgraded to a used 8" jet jointer and a used 15" jet planer. I am a hobbyist, so I don't change blades often enough to be proficient at it. Plus I have been using the Dewalt 735 so I have never actually had to set planer blades. Therefore, I am looking into disposable blades or an indexed cutterhead to avoid this. Here's the summary of what I found in my searches...

Tersa/Terminus appear to be quite expensive as far as I can tell. Esta appears more reasonable, but I see mixed reviews on how precisely the knife setting is. Byrd cutterhead is pricey, and there are mixed reviews of the performance (although most appear happy).

In my case, I don't do a lot of highly figured wood. I am not sure that I should spend the money for the Byrd given that some have indicated surfaces less perfect than they expected. (I will spend the money if that is the "right" answer - better to spend it once than twice...) That makes my lean towards Esta, but I see some reports that individuals cannot really slap in the knives and get great alignment. To make it more complicated, the long-term cost is harder to gauge given the replacement knives. I would like to hear from Esta users how truly plug and play the knife changing is...

I have no experience with either of these options. Any recommendations out there, other than what I have seen in my searches? Or should I be looking at another option?

Thanks,
Grant

Jim Becker
02-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Grant, the "new" Esta system should theoretically be foolproof since there is a lip that indexes on the machine's cutter head body. (The older system had to be setup conventionally the first time) Esta would likely be the most economical upgrade for your machines. I love my Tersas, but wouldn't be unhappy with the "new" Esta system on a traditional jointer and planer. The Byrd gets a lot of kudos...but it's also a lot of jingle. If you decided to do a Byrd on just one tool, the planer would be my choice, leaving you the lower cost option on the jointer with a thought to going for a wider one in the future. Only my opinion, however...others may and will certainly have different ideas.

Grant Stevens
02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. Esta has the self-set for the jointer, which is what you describe. Only the posi-set option is available for the planer. I am not sure if the problems that some have referred to is due to the blades moving as the gibs are tightened or what...? I asked Esta and they didn't indicate that either version was more precise (albeit with a reduced setup for the self-set, as you indicated).

Your thougts on the Esta for the jointer are good ones. I have been toying with the idea of trying that first, and could then go either Esta or Byrd on the planer depending on the performance of the Esta system on the jointer.

Thanks again for the input.
Grant

Jim DeLaney
02-09-2007, 7:59 AM
Grant,
The Esta set up is only a one-time deal. For the planer, you measure the head - directions on the Esta website - and order the correctly sized posi-sets, which are magnetice, and are installed in the blade channel. You just put them in place, and install the blade sets over them, and tighten the gibs like you would with a 'conventional' blade.

For the jointer, it's even easier - there is no set-up. The blade holders have tabs that index on the edge of the blade slot in the head. That's it! Tighten the gibs, and you're done.

I have the Estas on both my 6" Delta jointer, and my 15" Delta planer. The jointer took about fifteen minutes to 'convert', and my 15" planer took maybe thirty - including removing/replacing the cover, cleaning the head, etc. Both machines gave perfect cuts, with no adjustments of any kind.

Cost... Well, I paid right at $500.00 for the initial setups for both machines. Last December, they had a 'deal' where every order included n extra set of blades, so four sets of edges per machine seemed pretty good. At my usual rate of use, the initial sets of four edges ought to last me about a year. Replacement blades are actually a bit cheaper than the 'regular' ones - about the same cost as sharpening the regular ones - and they have two edges instead of just one. It'll take a while, but the system should eventually pay for itself. Actually, I feel like it already has, just in the reduced stress, hassle, and frustration of blade changes.

YMMV

Grant Stevens
02-09-2007, 6:57 PM
Thanks for the input Jim. My concern on the Esta system was that while they are supposed to be free of adjustments after the initial setup, some reviews suggest that is not the case in practice. It sounds like they are working well for you. So far, the dispoz-a-blade is sounding like the way I should go...

Thanks for the feedback!
Grant