PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Well...Thanksgiving has come and gone and now the weekend has come and gone. What did you do over the holiday weekend?

The family and I travelled to Alabama to visit family. We just got back tonight. Lots of food and fun with family. My dad decided that since I was there that he wanted me to help him hang some crown molding and put up a handrail up the stairs to their exercise room and attic. We worked All day Friday and Saturday putting up crown molding and putting up the handrail in the stair way. I finished the handrail with BLO and Turps, 2 coats...buffed dry and to a light gloss...I then applied two good coats of Deft Lacquer then buffed out with Johnsons Paste Wax and steel wool. The crown molding was a real chore as putting up crown in non-square corners is a LOT of "fun"....not....... :rolleyes:

BUT....one good thing led to another and my dad decided that I needed a new cordless drill. He went to the local Lowes store and brought me a brand new 18V Hitachi cordless drill with flashlight, charger and extra battery pack..!!! Now...how did he know I needed a new cordless drill. Maybe he used my old DeWalt cordless one time too many and remembered that I really needed a new one. Just ask Terry Hatfield about my cordless DeWalt drill....He say it sounds like a drill full of BB's!! I don't know why....it is only 10 years old....Sheesh..!!!!

I have been working on the CD cabinet and I am now applying the clear lacquer to the cabinet. I hope to be making delivery Tuesday evening of this week. :)
Boy, I sure will be glad when this little project is over. Any way, here is one pic of the top ledger board that will be going on the front of the cabinet. This shot is with it unstained and without clear coating. I will post the full suite of pics and verbage later on this week.

Best of weeks.......

Keith Starosta
12-01-2003, 6:20 AM
Dennis, that looks very nice! I can't wait to see the fully-finished product.

Unfortunately, once again, there was no wood working in my weekend. There was however lots of family, food, and fun....not necessarily in that order! The only downer of the weekend was running over some major road debris about 345 miles into our 350 mile return trip last night. The van currently sits in the shop, getting four new tires. Greeeeeat....... :rolleyes:

Keith

Richard Allen
12-01-2003, 7:12 AM
Hi

I got a chance to get in a little lathe time.

Noah Alkinburgh
12-01-2003, 8:26 AM
Well on Friday my dad and I assembled the frame of an 8x10 shed and put the front and back walls up in the rain. On Saturday we woke up to 40 mph wind gusts and we got to ressemble the whole frame again in temperatures feelling like 0 b/c of the wind. We managaed to get everything but the shingles and the finishing touches done. When we came in my dad looked at me and said, "You know, I don't mind building a shed once, but twice isn't so much fun" :rolleyes:

Yesterday I got the facia boards up, the tar paper down and layed one bundle of shingles before dark. I also turned some new streamline 7mm pens. I really like that kit. I hope to have pics tomorrow.

Noah

Jim Becker
12-01-2003, 9:12 AM
I didn't get as much done over the long weekend as I wanted to, but it was productive at the very least. Dealing with the 2 cords of firewood that arrived on Wednesday took up most of Thanksgiving day...'ran out of light and then enjoyed a very yummy meal that LOML prepared for the holiday. Friday was very rainy, so it was an all-day-in-the-shop kind of occasion and that resulted in a nice cherry bowl and the start of assembly on the Shaker wall clock detailed in another thread. Unfortunately, Friday also brought a "deceased" battery in the truck to light...fortunately, I was at my friend Russ's place after lunch when it decided to stop working and he was able to jump start things so I could get home.

Saturday morning was for battery shopping and in the afternoon, Ali and I went to a great artisan's show at the George School. This event was organized by a friend, Jill Biros, and for the first year, was a great event with lots of very accomplished artists. Only two were in wood (Jill among them), but everything was of very high quality. (Yea, I invested in something, too... :rolleyes: ) I was in the shop that night until late working on that clock again after a nice dinner of holiday leftovers. Sunday was back to the shop in the afternoon to work on the aforementioned clock.

All in all, a good woodworking weekend.

Tyler Howell
12-01-2003, 9:13 AM
Set up the new the DeWalt 735 Planer. Works like a charm. My first power planer so it took a little getting use to.
I also purchased a Jet 1500 air cleaner. The window fan and furnace filter just weren't cutting it any more.

Two fine tools, I'll let you know how they work out.

TJH

John Miliunas
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Bulk of the weekend spent cutting up hands and doing a fair amount of swearing, but at least, it was all in the shop! :rolleyes: Oh yeah...That was in the process of installing the ductwork for my DC system. Got the planer, joiner, drill press and table saw & blade guard ports all done. Converted the jointer to 6", as well as the table saw. All in all, a royal PITA, but WORTH it! Haven't tested the drill press workstation yet, but the rest is working remarkebly well. Sure am glad I went to the Woodsucker with 6" ducts! Have a great week all! :cool:

Mike Evertsen
12-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Not as much shop time as wanted to get in this weekend,,spent much of the long weekend cooking,baking for two thanksgiving dinners (one at my sisters Thursday and one at Bobs brothers Saturday)and for a birthday party at my other sisters Sunday and then decorating the house for Christmas,,,,Today I'm back in the shop finishing a cabinet and trying to get gifts started for Christmas,,,,,,,,

Dave Anderson NH
12-01-2003, 10:50 AM
The Thanksgiving part of things wa nice as it always is with a small family group for the turkey dinner. Friday I spent some shop time cleaning up a few small shop projects. I installed the spokeshave rack on the plane till I made earlier in the year though it only holds 13 shaves so I'm already a few spaces short. :D I also made a rack to hold my card scrapers and the burnisher. Saturday Roger Myers and I got together. I got to check out his shop and the progress he's been making in dividing it into separate bench and machine rooms. It's gonna be really nice. The two of us then went to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem Mass to check out the special exhibit on the furniture of Thomas and John Seymour. If you live in New England this is definately an exhibit to see. With over 70 pieces from several museums and private collections it is the largest exhibit of Seymour Federal Period work ever assembled. It is on until some time in February. I can't recommend it enough. Yesterday I puttered in the shop and was somewhat low on the accomplishment side of things.

Scott Coffelt
12-01-2003, 12:57 PM
I had the whole week off, but did I get much done? Nope. The wife and son went to California to visit her brother's family, so I spent time with them before they left. Turkey day with the family.

Friday, xmas shopping. I thought I would surprise the better half with getting all the shopping done for the family, 95% completed. She was thrilled (crowds suck, oh BTW I was up at 5AM standing in line)

Saturday, another surprise. I got out the decorations and got them 90% up. Again, she was happy as can be. Picked them up at the airport that night.

Sunday, family time and a little football. The other 10% of xmas decorations.

So I sacrificed good shop time to take care of her..... what was I thinking.

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2003, 3:15 PM
LOML decided to let someone else feed us and clean up after us. So I spent the last 4 days being forced to look out our window at this....

Tyler Howell
12-01-2003, 3:39 PM
[Glenn,

Your wife had the right idea.
Nice.

TJH

Noah Alkinburgh
12-01-2003, 4:05 PM
LOML decided to let someone else feed us and clean up after us. So I spent the last 4 days being forced to look out our window at this....

Hey Glenn was that Chatham MA? My parents lived there and we have some very good friends there. He was in the CG stationed at the lighthouse. The lived in a little house the washed away recently when they had one of the sandbars go. Nice place to visit.

Noah

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2003, 4:34 PM
Hey Glenn was that Chatham MA? My parents lived there and we have some very good friends there. He was in the CG stationed at the lighthouse. The lived in a little house the washed away recently when they had one of the sandbars go. Nice place to visit.

Noah

You are good Noah!
We stayed at the Chatham Bars Inn. It's our little bit of get away heaven. Of course we only go in the off season...So we always come back refreshed. To many people (and expensive) otherwise.

Bob Oswin
12-01-2003, 5:31 PM
Well...Thanksgiving has come and gone and now the weekend has come and gone. What did you do over the holiday weekend?

Best of weeks.......

I made myself this jig.
Seems to work O.K.