PDA

View Full Version : Delta, DeWalt, or Rigid (another planer question)

Phillip Thorne
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
If you around $400 to put towards a planer, which would you purchase?

I've found the Delta TP400LS for $269, Rigid TP1300LS for $370 and the DeWalt DW 735 for $499.

This will be my first planer and I want the locking head, but which of this would give me the best bang for my buck?

TIA!!

~Phillip

Joe Chritz
02-09-2007, 1:37 AM
I have only used the Ridgid but I have used two machines. Both were easy to use and performed as well as a lunchbox can be expected to.

Blade changes are a snap and are not very expensive.

There is noticable snipe but by lifting slightly on the outfeed it is reduced to nearly nothing. I have plans for a planer stand with extended tables that will be done soon I hope.

Someday I will get a big kids planer but for now the Ridgid has done very well for me.

Personally I would opt for another Ridgid and use the additional money for supplies or a really good ROS.

Joe

scott spencer
02-09-2007, 4:33 AM
I'd add the Delta 22-580, the DW734, and the Makita to the list. Any of those machines are capable of the task. The 735 is a nice planer but gets expensive, especially when you add in the infeed/outfeed tables, but it does have a built in chip ejector which is very useful if you don't have a DC. I'd keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on any one of them.

http://www.epinions.com/22-580 (http://www.epinions.com/content_156115177092)

Per Swenson
02-09-2007, 5:32 AM
Rigid.

We use ours as a Job site planer.

Which means we beat the daylights out of it.

7 years. Not a hiccup.

Per

Phillip Thorne
02-09-2007, 7:15 AM
anyone used the dw 734?

Per, what's the blade life like on the Rigid? how easy is it to use? is snipe easily controlled?

Thanks Again!!

~Phillip

Gary Ratajczak
02-09-2007, 7:29 AM
Phil:
I just went from an older Dewalt 733 to a Dewalt 735. I wanted the two speed setup. A few things I found during my research:

1. Blades are thin, and some people claim short life. Infinity tool offers a better blade for about the same money. If you get the 735, when you need a new set, look at the ones from Infinity.

2. I ended up (not installed) getting the infeed/outfeed tables. Most posters said they made a big difference. I know my old machine needed them also, and as a result, produced very (if any) snipe.

3. Check E-Bay. I got a 10% off coupon for $9.00, which translates to $40.00 off from Home Depot. My local stores have the Dewalt 735 for $499.99, but everyone else has gone to $549.00. Clerk told me yellow tag on item indicates a change when this batch is gone. most likely a proce increase.

4. No matter what choice, be sure to wax the tables and keep the rollers clean using alcohol.

5. I almost went for the Rigid, but liked the idea of the Dewalt 735 not needing a lock bar. You just lower the cutterhead, and it locks. I didn't see any posts showing this feature to not work properly, so I took that as an ok.

Hope that helps

Matt Day
02-09-2007, 8:08 AM
I've been happy with my 733, which I got for 20% off at HD. It has the cutter head lock which you clamp down manually, and only one speed. But it's works great for me. If I were to spend close to $500 on a planer, I'd look at a beefier stationary one, probably some old iron.

Matt Guyrd
02-09-2007, 9:06 AM
Best bang for the buck? For me it was the Ridgid. Great surfaces, minimal snipe (often times none), comes with a stand, infeed and outfeed tables, extra set of knives, tools stored conveniently on the side, comes with a dust chute that supports 2.5" and 4" hose.

The Delta and DeWalt's get good reviews too, but I couldn't justify the extra cost and lack of accessories.

I have yet to change my blades and have run several hundred linear feet through the planer...all hardwood (maple, cherry, walnut, bloodwood).

Home Depot also has a real nice mobile frame that attaches to the stand...I think I paid $19.99 for it.

I believe the planer is $349.99 unless they have recently increased the price.

Matt

Ted Miller
02-09-2007, 9:43 AM
Phil, I have a Makita 12" 2012NB, Amazon had a sale a while back for $299.00 and I have had no problems whatsoever and put hundreds of bf through it...

glenn bradley
02-09-2007, 9:52 AM
I've had a DW734 ever since I used my buddies DW733 and discovered I "needed" a planer. All kidding aside, I was eyeing the DW735 but got the 734 for $150 less; half inch narrower and only one speed but it has been a great little planer. I've only flipped the knives once and that was due to hitting "something" which caused a nick. I flip them back if I'm doing "bad" stuff. Very happy.

John Hemenway
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I also have the DW734. It's my first planer, so I have nothing to compare it against. Works great. Blade life seems good. I've used it on lots of lyptus and have yet to filp the knives. The three blade system leaves a very smooth surface. It was quiet a lot cheaper than the DW735. With discounts from Amazon I think it was about $275. No snipe!

Phillip Thorne
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
looks like the DW734 might have it, if my lowes coupon comes through, getting it for $360, only $40 over the delta tp400 and the DW has an extra knife, any reason to hold off on the DW734?

Thanks again guys!!
~Phillip

James Carmichael
02-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll ditto my satisfaction with the Ridgid, 0 snipe, but I'd sure consider the DW if I had the $$.

David Cramer
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I went for the DW735 and totally love it! I was going to buy the Delta 13 inch planer(22-580?) a few years back when I heard it was being closed out at Lowes for $199, but I missed it. Every store that I called had sold out. It was 2 or 3 summers ago if I recall correctly. I could have gotten 2 for that price!! The DW735 has yet to fail me, but I hope they get that knife issue sorted out soon.

Dave

p.s. Again, as I posted a few weeks ago. Wear hearing protection with all planers. None of them are quieter than the other, or quieter such that you don't have to wear hearing protection for one and not the other. The difference is negligible compared to the damage that "any" of them can create.

Jason Morgan
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I have the 734 and considered the 735 when I bought about 2 years ago. Knife changes are a snap and snipe is minimal with good lumber. If you build the sled for it, you could eliminate it completely. When I bought, I couldnt justify the extra money for the extra speed. The 734 produces a surface that you can finish sand in a couple minutes with 220 grit. From what I heard at the time, even the "finish cut" speed on the 735 produced a finish that needed sanding at 220 grit. The little suckers are loud, but mine has worked well.

Butch Weber
02-09-2007, 1:54 PM
I'm in the same boat you are in; looking to get a planer. I had settled on the Ridgid (just got a 10% off coupon, plus a $100 gift card). However, I saw on BT3Central that Sears is having a tool sale through 2/10. Buy up to $299, get 10% off, up to $399, get 15% off, $400 or more, get 20% off. The DW735 lists there for $549, so with the 20% off, that comes to $439. Plus, if you order online and pickup at your store, you can use this rebate form (57431) to get 10% off. Plus, there's another rebate for a $60 Sears gift card (the rebate form is under the price). So, that comes to $439 (plus tax) - $43.90 - $60 (gift card) = $335 (not including tax).

Butch in Des Moines

Brian Penning
02-09-2007, 2:42 PM
My vote is for the Ridgid. Very satisfied with it in the 3 years or so that I've had it.

Jason Beam
02-09-2007, 3:04 PM
I have the DW734 and absolutely love it. Probably the most bang for the buck that I could find. The 3-knife cutterhead leaves an incredible finish so I don't have many scallops to sand out. If I get any snipe, it's my fault.

I've been using it for the last year pretty solidly now and just recently noticed that it's about time to change the blades. We'll see how easy they are to change - I've heard it's not too bad :)

Barry Beech
02-09-2007, 3:34 PM
I have the 735. Great little machine.

The chip fan blows hard enough that I really don't even need to turn on my DC. Very little mess. I have run about 400 bd ft of very heavy 8/4 pecan through the thing and 400 bd ft of walnut plus quite a bit of poplar.

I did finally flip the knives over after the knives got a ding.

On the slow setting, I really don't think that the wood even needs to be sanded. The finish is that good.

Good Luck!