PDA

View Full Version : Fiat lux!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2007, 9:44 PM
I've been struggling for 3 weeks now practicing to turn 12 knobs out of bubinga. Luckily for me and the other guy I've got a lot of poplar to practice turning! I've tried using one method and making multiple knobs....just wasn't getting the results I wanted. Last night I tried another method....closer but still wasn't getting the results I wanted.

Today at work, I talked to a much more experienced and skilled turner and asked his advice.

I probably won't try his recommended method tonight but...this Saturday I believe his recommendation may cure my problems!

FIATLUX!

John Hart
02-08-2007, 9:49 PM
FIATLUX!

And there was light.....at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope it ain't a train!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2007, 9:56 PM
You got it John! He said to turn 1 knob without parting it away.......take a high intensity lamp .....place it above the lathe.......put a white piece of paper below the turning.......Turn on the lamp......draw the outline of the shadow on the paper....don't move the paper.......part the first one away.....Turn the second one with the lamp turned on.....watch the shadow.....When the shadow of the 2nd one matches the outline on the paper...part it away and start number 3!

I can't wait to try it!

Clem Wixted
02-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Fiat Lux, well said!

John Hart
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Isn't it something how 2000 year old methodology can be so perfect that it still is the solution to a problem. Congratulations Ken....I think your about to experience a new cool level to this turning stuff.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Clem.....I don't know if it's profound....but it surely seemed to me to be applicable in this case!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks John....I knew turning 12 identical knobs would be a challenge. That's why I offered to do it in the first place...the challenge. Since then I've acquired this new hollowing rig. I've used it on one small bowl. Then I told myself........You can't use it again until the knobs are finished......I hope the batteries in the laser hold up that long!:rolleyes: :D

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Ken if you don't hurry up I am going to turn a HF with my Monster HF tool I ordered today before you get one done with your Jamieson. :eek: :eek: :D :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Just kidding Ken. Doing anything in duplicate is a pretty hard feat to do. I think you have the answer my man. Give it a shot. Lets us know how it worked.

Chris Barton
02-09-2007, 7:16 AM
I had a Fiat once, it was a horrible car...:p

Christopher K. Hartley
02-09-2007, 7:47 AM
...Today at work, I talked to a much more experienced and skilled turner and asked his advice.
I probably won't try his recommended method tonight but...this Saturday I believe his recommendation may cure my problems!FIATLUX!

Ken, you had me on the edge of my seat and then it ended...:confused: :eek:

John made his train comment:rolleyes: and WA...LA!

There it was...the Answer!!! :D

Thanks for sharing, I can now draw a breath and sigh a sigh of relief.:)

Mark Pruitt
02-09-2007, 8:02 AM
Ken,
.sdrawkcab gnipyt trats ot gniog m'I nitaL taht pu peek uoy fI
:D

John Hart
02-09-2007, 8:04 AM
Ken,
T
h
a
t

i
s

b
e
t
t
e
r

t
h
a
n

v
e
r
t
i
c
a
l

Christopher K. Hartley
02-09-2007, 8:14 AM
Mark, you and John have way too much time on your hands!!:D :D :D :eek:

Mark Pruitt
02-09-2007, 8:16 AM
...gnol rof toN

John Hart
02-09-2007, 8:20 AM

...gnol rof toN

M
e

N
e
i
t
h
e
r

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2007, 9:06 AM
Ken,

Oh my aching head..!!!! I think my eyes are bumping into each other while trying to daer siht. :confused: ;)

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2007, 9:07 AM
You got it John! He said to turn 1 knob without parting it away.......take a high intensity lamp .....place it above the lathe.......put a white piece of paper below the turning.......Turn on the lamp......draw the outline of the shadow on the paper....don't move the paper.......part the first one away.....Turn the second one with the lamp turned on.....watch the shadow.....When the shadow of the 2nd one matches the outline on the paper...part it away and start number 3!

I can't wait to try it!

Wow Ken..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never even thought about that. I'll have to give that a try sometime....this year....;)

Paul Engle
02-09-2007, 9:29 AM
Gosh, I hate cliff hangers....sure sounds profound to me Ken. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 9:59 AM
I had a Fiat once, it was a horrible car...:p

Chris....I served with a guy at NAS Meridian, MS. He'd just come back from a couple of years in Iceland. He'd saved most of his paychecks while there. He found a local beautiful young girl....married her and bought a new Fiat............He had the same experience.......got rid of the wife and the Fiat!

Chris Barton
02-10-2007, 8:00 AM
The first new car we had when I was a teenager was a Fiat 128. That was my first and last experience with Fiat. Been through a couple wifes too but, that speakes more about me than them. Good luck with the knobs Ken and remember, they won't be right next to eachother so, minor imperfections won't be seen. I wonder if that works for husbands...

Mark Pruitt
02-10-2007, 8:50 AM
they won't be right next to eachother so, minor imperfections won't be seen. I wonder if that works for husbands...
Absolutely NOT. ALL imperfections are not only seen, but magnified ten-fold and mentioned long after the "imperfect one" has been led to believe he is in the clear! DAMHIKT!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Bill Boehme
02-10-2007, 2:01 PM
Every Every thing thing will will be be OK OK as as long log as as we we don't don't start start getting getting a a bunch bunch of of double double talk talk.

Bill Bill

NOTE TO CHRIS: Maybe your Fiat was not the Lux model.

Ron Chamberlin
02-10-2007, 6:03 PM
I didn't realize I was lysdexic until I read this.
:confused:

Tom Sherman
02-11-2007, 3:28 PM
I just opened a bottle of my favorite beverage before reading this and thought I had had enough already then realized that I must have stumbled on a bunch of former alter boys chatting.