PDA

View Full Version : Pyrography

Jason Solodow
02-08-2007, 9:07 PM
Does anyone use pyrography for decorating turned pieces? If so, can you recommend a good starter setup? I've seen the razertip setup on woodturnerscatalog.com any others you can suggest?

Neal Addy
02-08-2007, 10:43 PM
The Burnmaster is another good option. It is commonly recommended because it accepts any brand of pen. Also check out the Optima by PJL Enterprises. It's suppose to be good as well.

Check this site for some good info:
http://www.nedraspyrography.com/index.html

Mike Armstrong
02-09-2007, 2:09 AM
I've never done anything on turned pieces, but got a Colwood Detailer a while back - www.woodburning.com (http://www.woodburning.com)
I haven't had the opportunity yet to use it as much as I thought I would, but very happy with the product.

Mike

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a Colwood dual unit like Mike mentions and like it a lot. Interchangable pens make for a lot of flexiblity.

Rich Stewart
02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Don't waste you money on those cheap 10 dollar ones from ebay. I got one just to see if I would be able to do anything at all with a good one. It heated ONE time and i burned my initials in a piece of pine. Then that was it. It would never get hot enough to even slightly darken the wood again. I know you get what you pay for. Just an experiment.

Rich

Ron Ainge
02-09-2007, 1:02 PM
My wife and I use a Razortip that we purchased form Treeline in Provo, Utah all the time and we both like it. We purchased the basic kit that they sell for about $125 which has a single burner but if we had it to do again we would buy the one with the dual burners and we would also buy two of the pens that we use most often so that when one gets to hot to use we could switch to the second one until it gets to hot to hold then switch again. All of the burners will heat up and you have to wait for them to cool off, switching pens now with the one we have allows us to work faster but a unit with two leads would allow porlonged use.