PDA

View Full Version : microsoft excel ?

Harry Goodwin
02-08-2007, 7:35 PM
Here we go trying to do IRS. I have arranged a excel file according to subjects and click the box for total and click that little auto sum that looks like funny S and drag the boxes and push enter and voila it adds the amounts most of the time. Now I have four boxes out of probably 18 that change the amounts to a date. No idea why. Can you help me turn it off.
harry thanks for your wisdom.

Jim Tobias
02-08-2007, 7:54 PM
Harry,
Click on the cell that has your total in it and then:
- go to FORMAT at the top
- Select cell from the drop down menu
- Select currency

That should give you dollars and cents in your sum cell.

Jim

Harry Goodwin
02-08-2007, 8:12 PM
Thanks Jim. It fixed the offending cells.Is there any way to format it so it does all the cells in the future? Harry

Jim Tobias
02-08-2007, 8:43 PM
Harry,
If your sum cells are all next to each other going across from left to right, you can move your cursor to the right bottom of the sum cell that has the correct format(you will see a plus sign when you ahve it in the correct place) and hold the left click mouse button down and drag it to the cells as you go left to right.
You can also right click on the sum cell that has the correct format and choose copy and then right click on the sum cells that you want to format and choose paste.

I hope this is reasonably clear.

Jim

Chris Rosenberger
02-08-2007, 8:49 PM
Harry,
To format all the cells on the page. Right click on the square at the top left of the worksheet. The one between the A & 1. That will highlight all of the cells on the page. Then format as Jim wrote. To format a single row or column, right click on the number or letter. To format a range of rows or columns, right click on a number or letter of the first row or column & then drag the pointer to the last row or column.

Chris

Ben Grunow
02-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I usually layout the page first and whatever cells will be holding numbers of a similar format are then formatted by high lighting the gruop and right clicking on the black area and selecting whatever applies.

My spreadsheets always have text and dates and percentages etc. so I rarely want whole rows or pages to be formatted the same way.

Harry Goodwin
02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
thanks you fellows are great. Harry