PDA

View Full Version : Newest addition,,,,,, #4 T16

Brian Hale
02-08-2007, 6:36 PM
Just recieved this today from Brass City, a Mint In Box Stanley #4 Type 16 smooth plane, . It shows little to no use but the blade has been sharpened a couple times. No rust and the japaning is at least 90%. A type 16 dates from 1933-1941 according to the Hyper Kitten website.

My original intent was to have it as a user and get a Hock blade and cap iron but i'm not sure i want to do that.

What do you think, keep it as is (collectable) or tune it up and use it?

Brian :)

Brian Hale
02-08-2007, 6:38 PM
A couple more shots...

Note the numbering on the back of the blade, 137, something i've not seen before...

Clint Jones
02-08-2007, 7:55 PM
These things were made to use ya know!!!! A plane addiction is hard to kick you need to admit you have a problem! Walts planes are great arent they I believe he would want you to use it every once and a while. Here is a picture of (some) of my planes and as an addict far from recovery I suggest you send this one to me before yer hooked. Keep in mind this is one wall , 2 more are filled with jointers and block planes and my shop dont get me started! I like to use each of them every once and a while so they dont get lazy. They keep multiplying help me stop!!!!

Dick Latshaw
02-08-2007, 9:21 PM
Put my vote in the 'use it' column. It's a tool.

jonathan snyder
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Brian,

Use it!!!!!!!!!! and enjoy it!!!

Yes Clint you do have a problem, you have too many planes, and I hope I have that problem one day!;)

Jonathan

Barry Beech
02-09-2007, 9:30 AM
I say use it. The joy of a tool comes from using it. At least imho. :)

Lyle DeWalt
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Nice plane. I have a type 16 number 4 and use it often. I added a Hock blade and chipbreaker and it made a difference for me. The thicker setup sure helps a lot IMHO.

Speaking of finds.....anybody in New York? This guy seems to have a lot of everything he's selling. Asking a lot too though :(

Don Orr
02-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm in New York, upstate near Albany. Where is this guy located ? More info please ? Some interesting looking stuff there but pretty rough shape.

Thanks,

Clint Jones
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Not to hijack the thread but Lyle where is this guy located. I go up into MO frequently for tools and I see a shooting board+plane and some other goodies with my name on it. A phone number would also be helpful.

Lyle DeWalt
02-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,
Hudson Valley NY. He had an ad on Craigslist a while back (probably still does). That's only one of the pics. He has quite a bit more. Problem is he wants to sell everything as a lot, not piece things out so the figure he had in mind was several thousand ... $7,000 to be exact. :mad:

His description:

a bunch of late 50,early 60s Greenlees, Marples Blue chip, in wooden box,Marples 4pce boxwood handled, 4pce Marple's w ash handles, 4 pce Crown Tools w Rosewood handles, and Odds and Ends--- Stanley 78`s and looka likes, a couple of #12`s,#3,4,41/2,5,51/4,6,6c,7,7c,#20,#46,#50#51&52,a 45,#113,#9 1/2,#18,#122 Liberty Bell,#80s,#140,#71,Appleton 7/8 matchplanes,10-Drawknives,a few Adzes,Early drilling bits,shellaugers,aDozen Braces,100+ Auger Bits,Early Irwin Expansive bits,Sawsets,Hand Saws,Back saws,Frame Saws,Coping Saws,Saw Vises, Mortise & Marking Gauges,Squares,8Early Framing Squares-Eagle,Yankees#s30,3-130A,131A & #41s,Hammers,Mallets,assorted wooden Hammer Handles,Broad Hatchets,Hanging Scales,2Hetchels,Dividers,Calipers,Scrapers, Leather Gauges,Hollow Augers,Chain Augers,4NOS Sheffield Eng.Wooden spokeshaves,files,#Stamp sets,oilstones,waterstones as well as slip &gouge slips, Early Monkey Wrenches

Ron Brese
02-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Brian, How about both. Get another iron to put in it for use.Put the original iron and chip breaker away for prosperity. Used properly you won't put enough wear on it to worry about, in fact some use might just make the patina on the totes better.

Ron Brese

Brian Hale
02-09-2007, 1:32 PM
I think i'll put the "stock" blade in the box and set them on the shelf for safe keeping. I really did buy it for a user so a user it is. Hock blade and chipbreaker are on the way.

It's hard to tell from the pics but the knob/tote are a bit worn and i'm considering refinishing them. Any thoughts on what the finish is? Shellac?

BTW, i've got a few other planes on the way; #5 1/2, #4 1/2 and a #6C, the last 2 i scooped up from our own classifieds! Next thing to look for is a nice #3 ;)

Andrew Homan
02-09-2007, 2:11 PM
Hey guys,
Hudson Valley NY. He had an ad on Craigslist a while back (probably still does). That's only one of the pics. He has quite a bit more. Problem is he wants to sell everything as a lot, not piece things out so the figure he had in mind was several thousand ... $7,000 to be exact. :mad:

I bet it's way too much for what he's got -- otherwise something openly advertised along a high-traffic corridor like that would be swept up by one of the dealers pretty quickly.
-Andy

Zahid Naqvi
02-09-2007, 3:20 PM
Clint, if you store planes on glass shelves you are already beyond help ;)
I noticed you are fellow Arkie, and a neander at that. Your shop is definately something I would love to see. I work for Acxiom and come to Conway frequently.

Ryan Cathey
02-09-2007, 5:18 PM
Yay!!! Something I know that someone else doesn't!! That 137 means it was made(or the blade anyways) in the first quarter of 1937.

-Ryan C.

Brian Hale
02-09-2007, 5:27 PM
Yay!!! Something I know that someone else doesn't!! That 137 means it was made(or the blade anyways) in the first quarter of 1937.

-Ryan C.

COOL!

That ties in with the type 16 dating of 1933 - 1941.

Thanks!

Ryan Cathey
02-09-2007, 5:28 PM
No problem. Glad to pass something on for once lol.

-Ryan C.

David Carroll
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Brian,

I am a first time poster here. I agree with everybody about using the plane, but for a more practical reason. If you are regularly using it, you are wiping it down, looking at it, taking it apart to sharpen the iron and maybe to adjust the frog. So it essence you are inspecting it periodically and performing maintenance on it. Tools that aren't used can rust and the adjusters can freeze up. Years can go by and real damage can occur.

Unless you intend to keep it in a glass case in a climate controlled environment, it is best in my opinion to use it (with care). It'll keep it in top shape.

David C.

Ron Brese
02-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Brain I have a pretty nice #3 that I might be willing to part with. If you're interested send me a PM, and I'll take some pics to send.

Ron Brese

Al Mock MD
02-21-2007, 1:00 PM
[quote=Clint Jones]These things were made to use ya know!!!! A plane addiction is hard to kick you need to admit you have a problem! quote]

I couldn't agree more. It's an insidious affliction...the last thing I remember is admiring a Miller's repro...then...all of a sudden, I've got an electrolytic bath & laminated type study pages! It is my only and most beloved collection, the gems of which are all early type Stanleys.

That being said, I use them all...aggressively. There's something magical about bringing a long-forgotten tool back into the shop for some shavings. A plane's history speaks to me like no other artifact.

Although I might be tempted to massage & admire an old Norris infill, I install Hock replacements into my Ebay finds & put them to work.

Thanks for validating my addiction, Al