PDA

View Full Version : Cermark question

Jeff Gilchrist
02-08-2007, 4:20 PM
Hello all :D I am very new to the whole laser engraving scene. I came about it through my job, we have an Epilog 45 watter that we use to make identification tags normally with Alumamark stuff. Now my boss wants to mark tools, so, instead of getting a YAG, I tried Cermark and the text wiped right off with the cermark. I must be doing something wrong so here I am to ask the experts. Here are my settings:

Power tried 90-100
speed tried 30-15
Using raster, which I think might be my problem now that I'm typing this
DPI of 400
Manual focus with guage

I have lerked here for a couple of week and you all seem to be an awesome bunch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Pete Simmons
02-08-2007, 4:27 PM
Try cleaning the surface with Acetone and try again.

I have a 35 watt mini and use 100 power 28 speed for stainless.

Jeff Gilchrist
02-08-2007, 4:32 PM
I have tried acetone, alcohol, sand paper....the surface is clean and the surface is not laquered. Pete do you use vector or raster, or does it matter?

Dana Florian
02-08-2007, 4:45 PM
Jeff- My company has recently purchased a gcc explorerII 30w and from what everyone has told me, you cant engrave on steel. Thats true but.. you can mark it without cermark. I can succesfully mark stainless steels and tool steels (hard) with no problem. I can achive a nice black mark that is very difficult to remove,using a speed of 2.0 power at 100% Raster at 1000 dpi for a better mark. True a yag laser is better but you can mark with a co2 laser. You can interpolate your speed reletive to mine. My laser running 100% speed = 80" per secondso at a speed of 2.0 my head travels at 4" per second. Havent tried any bare aluminum, cant help you there. Let us know how you make out? Dana

Pete Simmons
02-08-2007, 4:47 PM
Raster - I do stainless kitchen ware often with no problem.

Jeff Gilchrist
02-08-2007, 5:04 PM
Boy do I feel stupid, I had the power and speed settings backward. I fixed it and it worked perfect. Sorry for wasting everyones time! Thanks for all the quick responses though. Got to pay more attention....

Bruce Boone
02-08-2007, 6:06 PM
That explains it Jeff. It's tough to use too much power for Cermark. On my titanium parts, I use 100% power, 75% speed, and 1000dpi on a 135watt laser. I can discolor the Cermark to a reddish color if the part has close hatching and the speed is slow, but it takes a lot of power in a small space to do that.

Frank Corker
02-08-2007, 8:00 PM
Jeff, I make that kind of a mistake on a regular basis, you are not alone

James Rambo
02-10-2007, 5:27 PM
Man do I fell better . I thought I was the only one that did that. At least that's what my wife says.

Mark Anderson
02-11-2007, 8:36 AM
Hey Jeff...Maybe you caught that from us when you came up here to visit? :D BTW...What cermark are you using? Paste, powder or aerosol?

Glad you got it figured out ! ;)