PDA

View Full Version : Overstock.com customer service

Roy McQuay
02-08-2007, 4:13 PM
I purchased a watch as a Christmas present and received a non-working watch. I returned it. 5 weeks later, they seem to have sent me the same watch back as a replacement. When I informed them I wanted to return the watch for a refund and didn't want to ever do business with them again, they sent an email that I would be charged a restocking fee. Is it normal to charge a restocking fee on defective merchandise ? I hope not. I have bought a lot of things from them and have been happy with them. This is the first returned item. Anyway, I just want to warn others about their customer service practices. Thanks for listening.

Ron Wessels
02-08-2007, 5:17 PM
Doesn't a "re-stocking" fee imply a fee to place a returned item back in their stock?

If the item is defective, are they really going to put it back for someone else to receive?

Roy McQuay
02-08-2007, 5:20 PM
Doesn't a "re-stocking" fee imply a fee to place a returned item back in their stock?

If the item is defective, are they really going to put it back for someone else to receive?That is what I asked them. I told them that must be what took so long and how I received the same watch back.

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2007, 8:12 AM
Never done business with them, so I can't add anything of value there.

I have had local store issues like this before. I had to go all the way to the store manager in order to keep them from putting the defective tool back on the shelf for selling once again. I even put a tag on it stating that the tool was defective and what the problem with it was. They still insisted on putting it back on the shelf. Luckily, the manager took care of it after I brought it to his attention.

Go figure.!!!!

Rob Russell
02-10-2007, 6:54 AM
It seems pretty likely that you paid for the watch with a credit card. If they insist on charging a restocking fee, tell them that you will instruct your credit card company to backcharge them that amount. I'm sure you have proof that you can provide to your cc company. Just don't wait any longer before opening a claim with your cc company - call their customer service folks ASAP because there are time limits as to how long you can wait before opening a dispute and those limit vary from cc company to cc company.

If you just changed your mind and wanted to return a working item, the restock fee is fair. It's not fair to charge a restocking fee when they won't provide a functional item.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Read the fine print when you purchase anything.
If there is no mention of a restocking fee on returns then they can not simply invent one.

Roy McQuay
02-10-2007, 11:37 AM
After much contact, I am returning the watch today. I was offered a $5 credit for my trouble from an online consultant, which I told them I would never use so keep it. I bought a more expensive watch elsewhere. I guess I showed them, lol. I am still not sure if I am cleared of the restocking fee. They will determine that. I can't put a complaint to the credit card company until they add the charge, which I informed Overstock I would do. I will know within another 5 weeks or so. Thanks everyone