PDA

View Full Version : corel training books

Craig Hogarth
02-08-2007, 2:54 PM
My wife and I will be purchasing an engraver within the next two months and just now starting to get things together. I have read here that corel is the best way to go, so I picked that up. However, we have no experience at all with any graphic software, so it's a little hard to pick up on things.

Does anyone have a recommendation for any training books I can buy? Something like a for dummies book, I guess.

Also, I assume that all functions of corel aren't pertinent to engraving. Is there anything specific I should focus on?

TIA

Tony Lenkic
02-08-2007, 3:26 PM
Hi Craig,

LaserBits Inc. have some CD's Video & manual that are created for
laser engraving.
Check out thier web page
www.laserbits.com (http://www.laserbits.com)

Tony @ MCE

Mitchell Andrus
02-08-2007, 3:40 PM
http://www.unleash.com/coreldrawx3unleashed/index.asp

Get the CD version. It's the best tutorial out there, the videos alone are worth the price.

Scott Perry
02-08-2007, 3:55 PM
Mitchell, they have a DVD version, have you tried it?

Craig Hogarth
02-08-2007, 4:23 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've ordered the X3 unleashed since it appears it's a good one to start from scratch.

However, the one on laserbits seems like it's specific to laser engraving, so I'll probably get that once I actually get one. I saw the link to Laser University. Has anyone here used it? Would it be beneficial or just a waste?

Luke Phillips
02-08-2007, 4:34 PM
I recently got Mike Clarke's manual for Corel X3 specifically written for laser users and found it to be very helpful and worth the $119.00 from Laserbits. It has a recource CD - also helpful. Laser U ? - not particularly helpful for me.

Mike Null
02-08-2007, 4:51 PM
There are so many free sites on the web including Corel which offer tutorials I would be reluctant to buy a book. I took classes at one of the schools locally and knew as much as the instructor so I felt like I wasted time and money.

There are also newsgroups that will give you almost instant help.

You do get a book with the software as well.

If I were inclined to buy something it would be the Unleashed stuff. They also have free tutorials on their web site.

Bob Keyes
02-08-2007, 4:53 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I purchased the full version of X3 and it came with some excellent tutorials. I really believe I'd start with them. You can learn a lot about the software there and a lot more from Roy Brewers tutorials.

Nancy Laird
02-08-2007, 5:25 PM
Craig, hubby and I went through this almost 2 years ago. Best thing to do is to find someone in your area who knows Corel, pay them whatever to come to your house and teach you, on YOUR software, on YOUR computer, to do what you need/want to do. There are a thousand things in Corel that can do, and you'll use only about half of them running a laser. Learn the things that are specific to your needs, and let the other stuff come up as it comes up and is needed in the future. Don't try to memorize the manual. And, BTW, I looked for a "CorelDraw for Dummies" and couldn't find one. I sure needed it!!!

The Roy Brewer tutorials are okay - he moves a little fast for me and I end up having to replay sections - he also doesn't start at the beginning--it's more like he starts in the middle and doesn't explain what all of the little gizmos are for.

Mitchell Andrus
02-08-2007, 6:33 PM
No. It has a bunch of clip art and add-ons that go towards publishing and such. I really only needed some help with the basics... operational syntax, etc.

Bill Cunningham
02-08-2007, 10:23 PM
With your laser, the biggest learning curve you will encounter is with Corel.. No matter how much or long you have used it, your going to learn something new a least once a week..
I started with Corel 2 supplied on 5.25" disks, complete with 'Waldo Fonts'.. Corel I think, was still in transition from from it's original name Waldo Draw or something like that.. At 'least' once a week I still scratch my head and say "wow.. I didn't know it would do that!" Like Nancy said, don't try to memorize the manual.. Just learn to do the stuff you need, and bit by bit, step by step, you will start to learn.. I say 'start' because it will probably never stop...Corel it would seem, has a surprize around every corner :D

Gary Hair
02-09-2007, 12:00 AM
The Roy Brewer tutorials are okay - he moves a little fast for me and I end up having to replay sections - he also doesn't start at the beginning--it's more like he starts in the middle and doesn't explain what all of the little gizmos are for.

Roy's tutorials I have seen so far are definitely not for beginners! He does have some great info that is exactly what laser engravers need to do their job though and I don't think you'll find much better anywhere else. Just my opinion.

Gary

Mike Null
02-09-2007, 8:54 AM
I should have mentioned this in my earlier post but here's another 2 cents worth.

In my engraving business and that of most others who deal with plaques, mementos, signs, awards, inlays etc. the most important aspect of engraving is knowing how to deal with text. With Corel there are thousands of ways to handle, space, manipulate and customize text. Focusing on this area first will open the door to other elements of Corel as adjuncts to the text handling.

Though you may never need to create an artistic drawing in Corel there are fundementals which are important to know. Simple shapes may tie into your text work. On the left side of your window there are many tools which can do magic things. A little experimentation will work wonders.

Study your font and clip art book. Many of the questions which come up on the various engraving forums could be answered by simply knowing what's in the book. After nine years I'm still studying these books to familiarize myself with fonts, borders, clipart, designs etc. to make me more efficient and creative.

Even if you don't need to create a work of art in Corel it is important that you know how to handle and use previously created art. How to import files, how to download files from other sources, how to send files via email (all my proofs are sent vai email). How to work with clipart and how to work with bitmaps.

Most of these issues tie right into your use of the laser and your knowledge of Corel along with the requirements of your laser will help you to produce outstanding work.

It takes time but it's a lot of fun and you'll be pleased with the results.

Ed Parkyn
02-09-2007, 11:53 AM
My wife and I will be purchasing an engraver within the next two months and just now starting to get things together. I have read here that corel is the best way to go, so I picked that up. However, we have no experience at all with any graphic software, so it's a little hard to pick up on things.

Does anyone have a recommendation for any training books I can buy? Something like a for dummies book, I guess.

Also, I assume that all functions of corel aren't pertinent to engraving. Is there anything specific I should focus on?

TIA
The best place to find books will be on Amazon. I've purchase quite a few there that were sold as used but look like the prior owner never opened it. You might also wish to go online and obtain free graphics programs like Inkster. They probably won't work with the engravers but are a good way for a new graphics user to get their feet wet. Another one would be Serif Draw, and The Gimp, which is like Photoshop. All of them as I said are free. Start with those and migrate to whatever version of Corel you'll be using. The very best thing is to practice, practice, practice. Look a little more closely at ads in magazines and newspapers to see what designers are doing. Use your local library as a resource. Look at used bookstores in your area. Whatever you do, have fun doing it. Otherwise boredom will set in very quickly and that's tough to overcome. You should both learn about computer graphics. It's a wonderful field that works with engraving very nicely. I'm a newbie myself to engraving but have been around C.G. for a few years now. When I saw an online demo of a laser at work I knew what I wanted to do for my final career.

Phyllis Meyer
02-12-2007, 3:05 PM
Hi Craig,

I agree with Nancy, we purchased a lot of stuff that didn't help us. I'm sure some were good, but we are not the type that learn from reading a book. Hands on is much better! I sent you a private message.

Sincerely,
Ron & Phyllis

Dave Fifield
02-12-2007, 6:17 PM
I learned everything I needed to know about Corel Draw from the turorials you get with it, plus the built-in help, plus the search feature on SMC, plus time spent using it.

I agree with Nancy too - try to get a local Corel Draw user to come show you in person.

Good luck!

Craig Hogarth
02-12-2007, 7:12 PM
Well, i got the X3 Unleashed today and I'll let you know what I think.

My wife and I are total newbies and have never used any graphics software before. Hopefully this gets us going in the right direction.