PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Spear Point Scraper

Bob Opsitos
02-08-2007, 1:55 PM
Wanted to get a spear point scraper to get into those small places, but didn't want to pay the price they ask for a pointed metal rectangle.

Sooo...I drew one up and found some 1/4"x1"x10" A2 stock down the shop at work carved out the shape I wanted and then had it heat treated.

Pulled some maple from the shop at home along with a 1" copper pipe coupler and fashioned a handle on the lathe.

Blade length ~7", ~18" overall. When I get home I'll scrub off the rest of the discoloration from the heat treat and then give it a try. I did try it prior to hardening and seemed to work well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/spearpointscraper.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/spearpointscraper2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/spearpointscraper1.jpg

Thanks
bob

Jonathon Spafford
02-08-2007, 2:12 PM
Nice job.... that seems the way to go for cheap tools! I can't believe sometimes how they can charge so much when they couldn't have possibly half that money into making it. How much did this cost you heating treating and all???

Paul Engle
02-08-2007, 2:24 PM
Nice looking scraper Bob, Nickel plate it ??? I made one similar but only 1/4 by 1/4 x 10 w/4 for the tang. shop scrap out of SS , I case hardened it in the oven at 550 for a few hrs w/ oil quench....but that may not hold up. makes great starter for beading etc.I really like the copper collar!

Dario Octaviano
02-08-2007, 2:28 PM
Doesnt that remind you of a parting tool on its side? ;)

Bob Opsitos
02-08-2007, 2:38 PM
How much did this cost you heating treating and all???

All I paid for was the copper coupler and epoxy for the collar. Steel and heat treat was a freebie from the shop at work. Wood was a left over peice from a log half that I cut an end grain hollow form blank from. Do have to watch the A2 when grinding, you can burn out the hardness.

Dario, it would look like a parting tool except the parting tool that I had that looked like this was reground into a Sorby style hardwood scraper. The only parting tool I have now is a diamond shape one with a flute ground on one edge. Plus the spear point has the edges rolled.

Thanks
bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2007, 3:14 PM
Bob that is a good looking scraper. Nice job.

Mark Pruitt
02-08-2007, 4:01 PM
Bob, that's neat! I simply took the pointed scraper that came with my HF HSS set and modified the angle. I like yours better.:)

Gordon Seto
02-08-2007, 4:03 PM
Steel and heat treat was a freebie from the shop at work. Wood was a left over peice from a log half that I cut an end grain hollow form blank from.
bob

Bob,

Nice looking tool.

What would be the nominal heat treating cost if it is not a freebie?

Gordon

Bob Opsitos
02-08-2007, 4:28 PM
What would be the nominal heat treating cost if it is not a freebie?

Gordon, I honestly don't know. Never had to pay for singles, and when I've spec'd parts that needed heat treat, I never asked about the added cost of heat treat, as a non-heat treated part wasnt' an option.

My guess is though that a single part might be expensive, and thus not be worth it. However if you get a group together and make scrapers for everyone then it could be reasonable. Best bet is to find a local machine shop that does heat treat and see what they say.

The schedule for heat treat for A2 is part of this data sheet from Crucible steel. Also of interest is the comparision of toughness and wear resistence between a number of common tool steels. I need to get some of that CPM 10V stuff!
http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/dsA2v12.pdf

John Hart
02-09-2007, 5:48 AM
Nice looking tool Bob!! I think I need something like that. It looks like it would help me on cutting the foot on some of my pieces. The skew is too wide and the parting tool just doesn't have the angle. Pretty cool!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
02-09-2007, 7:50 AM
Bob, nice job! Be careful though, you may start getting orders from guys like me.:D Great looking tool!:)

Harry Goodwin
02-09-2007, 11:14 AM
That's a beautiful tool. For a cheap substitute side grind a flat parting tool from the abundance most of us have and all is done. Harry

Bob Opsitos
02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Honed the top some and reground the edges on the 120 wheel and put it to use. Works really nice.

Have to get to work on a thick radiused bowl scraper.

Bob

Jim Ketron
02-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Nice Job!
I love making woodturning tools!
It gives me great satisfaction using something I made myself.

Paul Downes
02-09-2007, 6:14 PM
Just a comment on the nice tool. I know that custom knife makers sometimes use D2 steel and spec. a triple draw on their blades to give it a better temper and take some of the brittleness out. I'm not remembering if the same is true for A2 but I might have to get the heat treat book out and see. I have known some who will draw tool steels in their oven. let it soak for an hour or so @ 500 deg. and let it air cool. I did a ice spud out of A2 and home heat treated it and boy does it cut through the ice.
I'm also going to make a few parting tools and was going to use metal lathe, M2, cobalt, cut off blanks. The only problem is the 6" length. but for pen turning this should be long enough.

Rich Stewart
02-10-2007, 2:02 AM
What's a ice spud?

Paul Downes
02-11-2007, 1:08 AM
Rich, An Ice spud is a manual hole making tool for getting a hole through the ice for ice fishing. The one I made out of A2 had compound angles on the cutting edge that made it more efficient in cutting through the ice. A typical ice spud head might be 1"x2"x5" with a 30 deg. angle on the business end-like a big chisel. A 1/2 to 3/4" dia rod, 4 to 5 ft. long, is welded into the opposite end from the angle. You also want a 'T' handle on the end, maybe a foot long so- if the spud slips out of your hand it won't go to the bottom of the lake. I could bury my custom spud 5 to 6" into the ice in one hit. Most people use an ice auger.