PDA

View Full Version : Inspecting a used Drill Press - what to look for

Matt Day
02-08-2007, 1:38 PM
I'm going to check out a used Drill Press tomorrow or Saturday, and would like to know any tips on what to look for.

The seller thinks it's from the 80's but doesn't know the model # so I can't do a lot of background research. That being said, I'd like to know the quill travel, which I believe is as simply as measuring the amount the chuck moves vertically. It's a 17" 1 1/2" HP, so hopefully it's 4+".

I'll be looking at the amount of rust and to make sure everything works as it's supposed to. One thing I know that could be an issue would be increased runout from abuse. How do I check for this? I always see runout measured to like .001", but I don't have a dial guage or anything to do it myself.

DP's are pretty simple and sturdy, so I don't think there's a whole lot that could be wrong. TIA

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2007, 2:03 PM
Hi, it probably isn't a 1 1/2 HP, probably 1/2HP which is just fine.

You can check runout as a go/no go with a straight drill bit and a block of wood. Chuck the drill, bring the block almost up to the drill tip and turn the chuck by hand. If the tip of the drill isn't moving relative to the block, you're ok.

Check the castings for cracks, rusting, missing fasteners.

Check that the column is smooth, not rusty and straight, and that table elevating/tilting/clamping works properly.

Check the electrical stuff, cords, switches, lights, motor. Make sure it has a UL approval. Make sure all guards are in place.

Inspect motor, idler and quill pulleys, smooth operation of quill, function of belt tensioner. Inspect chuck and key condition.

At the low price of new drill presses, don't pay too much for a used one, unless it's a model you want for some reason.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Day
02-08-2007, 2:15 PM
Thanks a lot Rod, that's what I needed to know!

One of the two low quality pics I have of the DP definitely says 1 1/2 HP. I'm looking for a cheap floor DP, with over 3 1/2" of quill travel. If I was going to buy new it would probably be the 15" Ridgid, for ~$250. This used one looks to have a larger work table, increased HP, increased throat capacity, probably more quill travel, and is $100 cheaper. Hopefully everything will check out okay and I'll have a new toy.

Jamie Buxton
02-08-2007, 8:52 PM
Another thing to check is the side play of the quill. Extend the quill, and try to push and pull it sideways. Less play is better.