PDA

View Full Version : winged bowl

Paul Engle
02-08-2007, 12:28 PM
I turned this last week , when it thawed in the shop the little red bugs came crawling out of their holes.... 8 " x 8" x 2 1/4 " tall, bowl tapers to 2 1/2 in at base 4 in where it meets the wing. Wings are 1/16th inche to about 3/32" near the bowl. when it thawed it warped and split while I was at dinner. hand sanded and one coat of tung oil so far. I was after the double feather not the bowl so much, would have lost the feathers if the bowl was much bigger. More like 1 3/8" for the bowl, tea lite fits just snug.I will hand finish sanding and poly urethane, no buff. Will be for craft show in Aug at Sandpoint city beach . The photo tent is ( courtesy of Litehouse )from work and I am still fiddling around to get the best exposures on my own time. I think I was able to get it so thin because it was still froze somewhat and that helped. I used my bowl gouge for the whole process.

Harvey M. Taylor
02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Aw, shucks, that is so purty. Been layin' off to try one of them thangs fer a long time.Maybe I will git to it now. Nice job. Max

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2007, 1:03 PM
Nicely done Paul! I like the feathering in that wood!

I've got the same "defrosting" problem occasionally!

Jonathon Spafford
02-08-2007, 2:05 PM
Beautiful turning... love that wood.

Bob Hallowell
02-08-2007, 4:27 PM
Paul that's very cool I think the warping gave it some nice caracter.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2007, 4:59 PM
Paul you did well. I like the form and the wood. Beautifully done.

Ron Chamberlin
02-08-2007, 5:15 PM
Good one, Paul. Isn't it fun turning air while those sharp corners go flying around?

John Hart
02-09-2007, 5:53 AM
Yep...I have to try a winged piece here pretty soon. Way to go Paul! Defrosting can be surprising. The other day, I stoked the wood stove and got the shop up to 60 degrees when it had been near zero for a week. A mosquito was flying around my head!!!! I woulda never thunk it. :)

Christopher K. Hartley
02-09-2007, 7:14 AM
Paul, Great figure in that wood and a nice thin wing. Good Job! Thanks for showing.:)

Paul Engle
02-09-2007, 9:24 AM
Thanks all, I forgot to mention it is birch from a neighbors 100 yr old tree. Soon as I saw where the fllickers had nearly " holed " the outer bark to death I should have figured the bugs would still be around....:o , but what an easy way to check for spalting before whacking it up!