PDA

View Full Version : How I pay for my tools....

Bonnie Campbell
02-08-2007, 12:18 PM
This is what I started out making, turkey calls. Fortunately they sell well enough to of paid for all the tools and supplies I've gotten so far. I turn them just using a skew (my favorite tool lol) In order... African mahogany, cypress, walnut and red cedar....

Gary Ratajczak
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Bonnie:
They look terrific. Is there a good place to get the slate? My boss is a HUGE turkey hunter. He'd really like one of these.

Would make a grat gift for the brother and nephew as well.

Regards,
GR

Harvey M. Taylor
02-08-2007, 1:01 PM
Would you mind telling where you got the plans and supplies to make those? Planning to show at some local gun shows, and those would sure make a nice addition. Thanky, Max

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-08-2007, 1:17 PM
Yes! Do Tell!!!

Bonnie Campbell
02-08-2007, 1:21 PM
There is a forum for callmaking. I don't think I can post the link here, but do a google search for custom call makers, that should find it for you. There is loads of information to be had on there.

John Hart
02-08-2007, 1:24 PM
Very Cool Bonnie!!!

I pay for my stuff by denying groceries to the family.;) Not as creative as your method, but it seems to work. And really....they haven't died yet, so it's not like they're starving.........not really starving.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2007, 1:38 PM
That is great Bonnie. So you love the skew to. :p :p

Jonathon Spafford
02-08-2007, 2:10 PM
Those are beautiful pieces of work!

Do you have a tutorial or pictures of the process.

TYLER WOOD
02-08-2007, 2:11 PM
Too funny John!!!! I too would like to just deny groceies to the family but my kids like ot eat atleast twice a day.

I do need to find something that sells that will allow me to buy more and better tools.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-08-2007, 2:13 PM
Thanks Bonnie! I just ordered Bud&Bettys DVD on making these. Just one more addiction won't hurt me now will it? I guess I can call this a sub addiction!:D

Bonnie Campbell
02-08-2007, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I get my slate from Penn Big Bed Slate. They aren't very fast at shipping, but you can order without a minimum amount.

No, I don't have a pictorial on turning one. My husband can't be around the dust, so there isn't anyone to take pictures.

My husband bought me my first lathe, a PSI Proturner, for my birthday almost two years ago. I've since been able to add a table saw, bandsaw, two drill presses (one died), a bigger lathe, bench sander and a heat/ac pump for my shop. So I guess call making can pay a few bills (it even buys us dinner out sometimes lol).

Now, if anybody has some walnut to sell reasonably priced I'm a looking for some :rolleyes:

John Hart
02-08-2007, 2:34 PM
Yeah...I hear there's a guy trading Walnut for cans of soup to feed his family. Somewhere near here. I'll check it out.:)

Bonnie Campbell
02-08-2007, 2:43 PM
As long as he don't need name brand cans of soup..... LOL