PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Bessey 90 degree clamp WS3?

Karle Woodward
02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Are they worth the money? Thanks!

glenn bradley
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I picked up four at Lowes for $48 as they were "no longer going to carry them anymore" and had them on the discount table. They still carry them so I guess I was the lucky guy that day. At $30 each I don't know that I would bite. At $12 each they have been great for a few things I've done and I'm glad to have them.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-08-2007, 1:05 PM
I picked up four at Lowes for $48 as they were "no longer going to carry them anymore" and had them on the discount table. They still carry them so I guess I was the lucky guy that day. At $30 each I don't know that I would bite. At $12 each they have been great for a few things I've done and I'm glad to have them.

That is odd. My local Lowes (Lancaster PA) has gotten rid of everything except Bessey. Their short clamp aisle is 100% Bessey except for a few Irwin quick clamps.

glenn bradley
02-08-2007, 3:59 PM
Yeah, it was definitly a boo-boo on their part. They still carry Bessys and the ones I got are hanging there for about $30 each.

Karle Woodward
02-09-2007, 1:28 PM
Back to the question at hand. Are they worth the money? I see Amazon has them for $19.99 and free shipping (if I buy two).

Hoa Dinh
02-09-2007, 2:00 PM
I don't think they're worth $20. I have a few of them, bought for about $10 ea. when my local HD put them on clearance. I tried to use them a few times in carcase/drawer assembly but could never make them to work right. Maybe I'm just too clumsy. They end up either on the wall or in my son's workbench drawer.

I found that shop-made square clamps from a few pieces of scrap plywood work much better.

Bailey John
02-09-2007, 2:24 PM
I also have some of the Pony 90* I previously used for shadow boxes for wall trim.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000LNKJNO/ref=dp_image_text_0/102-7791367-7233752?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi

I like the Besseys better. I picked up these for 20% off at a Lowes when making frames for dvd-cd/speaker stand cabinet project. After playing with dry run before glue up, I got them to work fine for my purposes. I think they are easier to use than the pony but you have to be careful not over tighten as this could lead to poor fit.