PDA

View Full Version : JessEm Mast-R system

Neil Bosdet
02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi all,

Currently I have the LV router table system and I like it but I find the table a little small. I'd like to put it in my trailer for on-site jobs. I also have the Excalibur table on the wing of my TS. I hardly ever use it. It's not in a good location for me so I'm debating selling the Excalibur and upgrading my router table set up. I am considering the JessEm Mast-R XL system. Of you SMC's that have it, what do you think? It's obviously quite nice but is it worth the cash? I'm looking at getting the entire system with slider, fence, table and lift with the XL system and stand. What's the best price you've seen on the complete system (without router)?

TIA

Neil

Jim Becker
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Their products are very nice. My only concern with the stand would be the lack of dust collection around the machine...a stronger solution long-term might be a hybrid of the whole "Master" system with your own cabinet to support it.

Neil Bosdet
02-08-2007, 1:03 PM
Their products are very nice. My only concern with the stand would be the lack of dust collection around the machine...a stronger solution long-term might be a hybrid of the whole "Master" system with your own cabinet to support it.
Their website states that this system has built in dust collection port. I can't see it in the pictures though. Have you seen this? If so, and your recommendation is to build collection into a cabinet then I suppose I could forgo the stand.

Frank Snyder
02-08-2007, 1:29 PM
Neil...I have the JessEm Master Excel top and fence. The DC is very, very good. I've been using it to bullnose some stair treads this week, and there is no dust on the floor underneath the table. Pretty remarkable. There is a suction port just underneath the table which keeps dust from getting into the router motor, in addition to the above table fence port. I'm using a 2HP Super Dust Gorilla for the DC which probably makes it as effective as it can be.

I bought mine during a storewide sale at Woodcraft. I considered a shaper, but I really liked the miter slider on the fence. It's great for coping end joints.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Wright
02-08-2007, 1:31 PM
Their website states that this system has built in dust collection port. I can't see it in the pictures though. Have you seen this? If so, and your recommendation is to build collection into a cabinet then I suppose I could forgo the stand.

Why not install a Downdraft enclosure like the one shown at the Jointech website:

http://www.jointech.com/routertops_accessories.htm

You need not build your own cabinet if using one of these.

Neil Bosdet
02-08-2007, 1:42 PM
I bought mine during a storewide sale at Woodcraft. I considered a shaper, but I really liked the miter slider on the fence. It's great for coping end joints.

Frank. Thanks for your reply. How much did you pay for your system?

Neil Bosdet
02-08-2007, 1:44 PM
Why not install a Downdraft enclosure like the one shown at the Jointech website:

http://www.jointech.com/routertops_accessories.htm

You need not build your own cabinet if using one of these.
The Jessem unit has some method of dust extraction already. Above, Frank says it's really quite good. It would be good if their website showed it though.

Dave Bureau
02-08-2007, 3:18 PM
I've got the whole system and find dust collection very good. there are 2- ports. 1 on top of the table and 1 under.
I think it was about 999.00 on sale.

Jim Becker
02-08-2007, 3:43 PM
There is a dust collection port on the fence. I'm speaking about collection under the table...where a lot of "stuff" tends to go...at the very least, you'd want to build an enclosure under the table even with their stand. IMHO, of course.

Frank Snyder
02-08-2007, 3:58 PM
Neil - I don't recall exactly what I paid. It was 15% off sale of Woodcraft's regular price, whatever that is.

Jim - There is a under-the-table collection port on this JessEm table. See below...

Neil Clemmons
02-08-2007, 9:51 PM
Neil

I also have the Jessum Mast R Lift XL, Fence, and Miter guide. I really like the unit. I installed in my own base because I wanted to contain the dust as well as reduce the noise. I am very happy with the setup. The adjustment, fit, and finish are excellent.

I too purchased at Woodcraft on one of their discount deals - saved maybe $100. It's an expensive setup, but well worth it for the precision.

Neil

Neil Bosdet
02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Have any of you owners found any add-on items that you'd recommend(or not recommend)?

Thanks for all your feedback.

Neil

Frank Snyder
02-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Neil - I'd recommend the 4" dust port for under the table and the different size rings for the table. I also added a remote on/off switch for the router.

Bob Malone
02-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello Neil,

I bought the Jessem system last year; however, I bought the pieces at several places in Calgary. The Master-R-Lift I bought at House of Tools, the top and fence at BlackForest, the PC 7518 at Dewalt service center in Edmonton (refurbished at $290).

The Jessem stand was well built but offered no storage so I built my own from 3/4 shop grade birch, maple and cherry shop scraps for the drawers.

The entire unit is well made, precise and has given me no problems. The dust collection from the top of the fence is good and I have built a dust port on the back of the cabinet to clear the router compartment. The back dust port needs to be at least 4" - I made mine 2 1/2" and it was too small.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Bob - Near Spruce Meadows

Tim Dorcas
02-09-2007, 1:17 AM
Hello Neil,

I bought the Jessem system last year; however, I bought the pieces at several places in Calgary. The Master-R-Lift I bought at House of Tools, the top and fence at BlackForest, the PC 7518 at Dewalt service center in Edmonton (refurbished at $290).

The Jessem stand was well built but offered no storage so I built my own from 3/4 shop grade birch, maple and cherry shop scraps for the drawers.

The entire unit is well made, precise and has given me no problems. The dust collection from the top of the fence is good and I have built a dust port on the back of the cabinet to clear the router compartment. The back dust port needs to be at least 4" - I made mine 2 1/2" and it was too small.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Bob - Near Spruce Meadows
Hey Bob,

I got the whole Jessem Router Kit last year as well and built a base for it similiar to yours.

I love it! It's precise. It feels great when you work with it. There are several pictures on site along with a description of how I built it.

http://www.responsetolight.com

Dan Owen
02-09-2007, 1:36 AM
Neil, I have one and love it. Check out this sight. It's where I purchased mine and they are on sale.
http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...tml/index.html (http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html)

jim gossage
02-09-2007, 8:08 AM
Neil,
i bought the mast-R-lift XL about 2 yr ago. the dust collection under the table is excellent. the lift system and crank handle on the side with dial indicator are precise and work well. the only problem is that the phenolic table was crowned by 0.025" lengthwise. this means that the board can rock on the table by over 1/64". this may sound picky, but having a lift mechanism that is precise to about 0.001" doesn't really do much good when the table is off by 0.025". jessem told me that 0.025" was within specs, but i was still disappointed given the price ($550 without fence)and the hype that phenolic was supposed to be "dead flat". after much wrangling, jessem sent me a new one. unfortunately, this one was also crowned by 0.016" crosswise. its better, but i will probably build my own top out of 1 1/2" thick MDF and transplant the lift device.

Lou Ferrarini
02-09-2007, 8:13 AM
Neil, I have one and love it. Check out this sight. It's where I purchased mine and they are on sale.
http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...tml/index.html

Thats where I got mine. A few pix:

Jeff Wright
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Rockler just sent out an email this morning with a very complete Jessem router table package (including the PC 7518 router, stand, casters, table top, feather boards, etc. etc.) for a special price of $795. Visit it at:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17241

Neil Bosdet
02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. I do believe, I will be purchasing the Master R XL system.