PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a Spindlemaster?

Dick Durbin
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I watched Sorby's video on the Spindlemaster. From the video, it looks great. Does anyone have enough experience using it to advise me as to whether it is a good tool to have in the arsenal? The thing that impressed me so much was how cleanly it cut a pommel.

Gordon Seto
02-08-2007, 10:24 AM
IMO, this is not a magic tool. You can accomplish the same thing with a skew. A skew is more versatile.

Gordon

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I think Corey Halligan bought I think the 1/2" and 3/8". I don't think he liked them. Hopefully he will jump in. Ditto what Gordon said. My skew is my favorite tool but I practiced and learned how to sharpen it for maximum use. You definately can do more with a skew IMHO.

Adam Bauer
02-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I used their smaller sized one at a freedom pen turn-o-thon at a woodcraft and I really liked it. So, I would recommend getting one. However, unless you just want the "Sorby" you can get the set of 3 sized spindlemaster clones from penn state for about the cost of a single sorby spindlemaster.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-08-2007, 11:47 AM
I bought the 1/2" version. It is a little like a "Tame" skew. I don't mean that you can't get skates, but they are a lot less frequent. I took the video and duplicated the actions on pine. It came out sooooo smooth that I would not have had to do ANY sanding at all. Those of you who have read my posts about finishing know that I'm VERY concerned with a good finish!

As usual, just my opinion; others may disagree, which is ok. That's why they have horse races.

Bruce

Kevin McPeek
02-08-2007, 1:15 PM
While it did leave a nice finish I liked mine so much I traded it for pen blanks. IMHO save your money.

Dale Bright
02-08-2007, 5:09 PM
This is my first post here, I have been lurking and learning since late Dec., so here goes.

I have the PSI VersaChisels that are clones of the Sorby SpindleMaster. I just started turning in Jan. after my wife bought me a Rikon Mini for Christmas.

I turned my very first project, a bottle stopper, this past week and I used a roughing gouge and the VersChisels only. It is far from perfect but it is pretty good and I am proud of it. I am still setting up my very small turning area in my basement and buying tools.

Tried to attach a pic but I am not sure if I did it correctly. I hope it is not too big and shows up. I think I at least have a link that will show up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57367&stc=1&d=1170972082

Ron Chamberlin
02-08-2007, 5:13 PM
Nice stopper, Dale. I also have two of the PSI clones (Benjamin's best) They work OK, but so far the skew works better. They are easier to sharpen, tho - just run a diamond hone over the flat side.

Dale Bright
02-09-2007, 7:16 AM
Thanks, Ron.