PDA

View Full Version : Got a call from MiniMax yesterday...

Stan Welborn
02-08-2007, 9:20 AM
... super nice guy. Wish I could remember his name, I forget my own some days lately. I had filled out a form requesting more information on their machines expecting I might get some literature in the mail. Never expected a call. Explained I was probably two - three months away from purchasing and was just gathering information to compare machines/specs/prices... He was cool with that. Asked about what machines I was interested in etc... Ended up the conversation asking me to give him a call if there were any questions I needed an answer to, and hoping we could do business when I was ready.

Now over the past several days I've filled out a boatload of forms requesting information and catalogs, but these MM boys calling and spending time answering questions even after it was evident a sale was not in the near future put em another rung up the ladder in my book. (even though I generally hate the phone. Previous career turned me against the particular appliance forever. Every time it rang there was another perceived crisis on the other end)

Had decided I wanted to get a larger and therefore more expensive bandsaw than I first intended, and had narrowed my bandsaw choices to four. The Bridgewood PBS-440/540, An Oliver 4640 (750lb monster), the MM16, or maybe one of the larger Grizzly offerings. Price is always a factor and I was leaning towards the BW. Wanna guess who's the new front runner? :)

A lot can happen in a few months, but whoever it was called may just have made a sale without even knowing it. I'll also be taking a closer look at their other machines as well. Wish their website was a little more informative. :(

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2007, 9:26 AM
Stan.....doesn't surprise me. I sent MM an email thanking them for their very generous donation of an MM-16 to Steve Clardy with his recent shop disaster. I got a reply wanting to know if I'd like some information. Now I'll be honest. I'm hoping to outfit my shop later this fall. MM costs more than I was wanting to spend on a bandsaw.....but they've certainly moved up on my list too!

Jim Becker
02-08-2007, 9:26 AM
Yes, that was the way I was treated quite a few years ago after my first contact. They waited patiently until I was ready to do something...no pressure, just information.

Don Bullock
02-08-2007, 9:30 AM
Thanks for posting this information. Jim Becker sure seems pleased with them as well. I have a feeling that a MM will be in my future as well and it's nice to know that they have a company that still has that "personal" touch.

Mark J Bachler
02-08-2007, 9:33 AM
I've got 4 MM machines (MM16, 35 smart, SW315, & a T-50) & love them all. Their customer service cannot be beat. 3 years after my purchase they still call me just to ask how everything is working.

Mike Weaver
02-08-2007, 9:40 AM
Yes, that was the way I was treated quite a few years ago after my first contact. They waited patiently until I was ready to do something...no pressure, just information.

This is EXACTLY how I've been treated over the years.

It took me four years to finally pull the trigger on my MM16 at the end of last year. (Someday I'll post a pic to prove I have it. :eek:)

I look forward to my next MM at some point in the future.

-Mike

lou sansone
02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I also have good things to say about sam at mm. they are doing a good job of balancing " closing the sale" and keeping the pressure off. their machines are good value for the money. I would like to see a couple of improvememnts on the slider, but am quite happy with it as it is.
lou

John Hulett
02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
It was that same attentive willingness to provide information which won MM my business. A little over a year ago, I had almost pulled the trigger on a Grizz, but held up for one reason or another. I went to the Wood Works show a month or two later, and thought I'd take a look at the Laguna and MM while I was there, still with no real intention of buying. First I stopped at the Laguna booth. The scenario was this at Laguna; one salesman and two potential customers; me - a mid-thirties man not exactly dressed to impress, and another gentleman - I'd guess around 60ish and dressed a little nicer. Odds were, visually (and he was right) that the older gentleman was more likely to buy that day than I was, and he (the salesman) basically shined me on. So I left the booth, not looking any further.

Eventually I made my way around to the MM booth. Sam (who can occasionally make posts here at the Creek) was very nice, patient, informative, helpful... everything one could ask for. Long story shorter, an MM16 was ordered that day, and aftercare was just as has been described above. I could have nothing but good things to say about Sam and the company he represents.

- John

Michael Keating
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Stan,

I did the same as you and contacted several makers of larger bandsaws about 2 months in advance of making the purchase as I wanted to find the right saw for me.
I was initially leaning towards a Laguna. Dain from Minimax spent time on the phone with me and then I met him at the WW show in PA last year.
He was awesome to talk to and still e-mails me with information-he informed me the other month that he was going to be on TV. Was really cool.
He has, and continues, to treat me like a friend and not a customer.

Mike

Jim Becker
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Mike, Dain isn't even my sales person, yet he occasionally calls me (like this morning) and even personally took care of some issues I had a few years ago on a weekend after I posted about them. It seems like there is a very good work ethic going on between all of these folks...Michael, Jim, Sam, Erik, Dain, etc., all seem to work together for the greater good...the customer.

Mike Waddell
02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
The combination of quality machines and customer service is hard to beat. As luck would have it, just before I opened this thread I was talking with Dain Kirkpatrick (my Minimax salesman) over the phone.

I purchased my machines from him a few years ago and he still calls me to this day to check in with me even though he knows I won't be buying any new machines for the foreseeable future.

From time to time, when I need anything else (clamps, blades, gibs, Aigner FENCE!!) I just give him a call. He makes VERY little money off of those items but is more than happy to help.

Great guy, great company.

Mike

Larry Fox
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
I recently negoatied a deal to buy a lightly used 04-model MM16 and I called them to get some specs on the general machine. However, very quickly and with very little information we they were able to look up the EXACT (serial number) machine and give me the specs and discuss it relative to the current model. I made it clear at the beginning of the call that I was looking at a used one and not a new one but that didn't seem to matter to them and they were more than happy to invest the time.

This was my first expereince with them and am so far very impressed.

Dan Lautner
02-08-2007, 1:05 PM
I hate to break up the love fest but I have had mixed dealings with MiniMax. The first sales person I dealt with seemed ok at first. He talked a good game but failed to get me specific information I was looking for and did not seem to understand woodworking. After many calls over a several months I decided I would not deal with this salesman. I then went to two shows and had two very different dealing with MM. The first show they came off like dirty used car salesman. Every other word out of their mouth was "Show Special" or " Give a deposit". They were actually worse than the infamous Laguna guys at this particular show. The next show I attended was a much different story. I met a new salesman that was not pushy and new a lot about the equipment and understood woodworking. I ended up not buying MM on this purchase but if I ever decide to buy from them this salesman would be the only one I would deal with.

Dan

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2007, 1:15 PM
I've had the same experience. When I was looking and realistically about 9-12 months away from a purchase, I started talking to MM about the S16 they then had, and asking about the MM16 as well from all the reports we all see here about them. My salesman, who left before I bought my E16, made arrangements for them to take an S16 to the Woodworking show that next month so I could look at it. My then salesman was not going to be at the show, but also set up for Dain to help me with my questions. Dain was great, showing me the ins and outs of both machines and answering my questions. With the fairly small price difference between the 2 machines, I decided at that time to save a little longer for the MM16. When the E16 was introduced at a VERY attractive price, I called for Michael to ask some questions, found out he had left MM and Dain was who called me back. He remembered meeting at the show, and my decision to wait for the MM16 and why, and was very up front that the E16 had the same features I was waiting for the MM16 about. I decided that the big difference in price made the E16 a viable alternative for me at the time.
And I too get a call from Dain about every 3 to 4 months to check and see how everything is going. He unfortuanately calls during the day at the house, so I never get to talk to him. There's never been any pressure to buy. He was very clear when I called about my E16 that there were only a couple left at that price and if I wanted one, to not delay. But that was just "FYI" you snnoze, you loose. And it happened to several people on that machine.
Man I'm rambling today. No better company or people as far as I'm concerned. Jim.

Mike Waddell
02-08-2007, 1:15 PM
Dan -

Thanks for adding your thoughts too. Though I have had only positive experiences with Minimax, I always like to hear other's experiences... they help us all keep on track and not get caught up in "group think."

I hope that you have a chance to meet others from Minimax (and other companies also!) in the future that give you a better feeling for the company.

Thanks again,

Mike

John Bailey
02-08-2007, 2:49 PM
I had a few conversations with Dain, and what I liked is he never had a bad thing to say about any of the competitors. He always mentioned their good points. Of course, he always had more good points for the MM machines. Seems an excellent company.

John

Charles Grosjean
02-09-2007, 2:48 AM
When I first called MiniMax many many months ago, I was connected to Dain. I ended up not buying anything from MM, but the way he treated me then and months later when I called again, was a large factor in my becoming a customer. Dain was up front, knew his equipment and how it compared to the competition, both pros AND cons, and provided a good deal without haggling or pressure. He and Tim (service manager) went out of their way to make sure I'd be happy with my purchase (on a Saturday no less) and also took care of an after sale issue.

Recently I was looking for a BS and almost got an S45 (I fixate on little things and Dain knew some details on the MM16 might bug me), even though it was a slight compromise, because of the way Dain & Tim have taken care of me. In the end I got a Bridgewood and had a good experience with Curt @ Wilke, but that's straying off topic. Now if only MiniMax and Wilke had better paint colors :) .

Tim Wagner
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
can I ask what the machine jim got costs?

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 10:53 AM
can I ask what the machine jim got costs?

Which Jim and which machine?

Tim Wagner
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Which Jim and which machine?

LOL, You, and Yours. the one you just unloaded.

Mark Singer
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
They took care of me as well! Jim and Sam....great guys to deal with! They do what they say !

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
LOL, You, and Yours. the one you just unloaded.

Tim, you can see the current "list" prices of the MM stuff at their web site (http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.html). I took advantage of a $1000 year end sale plus and additional $250 tooling incentive in the closing days of the year. Show specials are often similar in nature, but vary by circumstance.

Oh, it's nice to see they are running a promo on the FS30 J/P after the nice showing in the FW article. And upon further investigation, they are offering promos on many other machines right now, similar to the year end deals. I don't know about other vendors, but MM will allow folks to lock in a deal with a deposit when pricing is time-limited for folks contemplating or getting their ducks in a row. That's something I also did on my recent purchase as well as the other two earlier purchases a few years ago. Steel prices (as well as transportation costs) are wacky in the world right now and it's been forcing many manufacturers to raise prices.

Pete Brown
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
but MM will allow folks to lock in a deal with a deposit when pricing is time-limited for folks contemplating or getting their ducks in a row.

That's how I got my MM16. I couldn't believe how flexible they were. I put my deposit down almost a year in advance to pick it up at the next show (whcih is only once a year, ugh). They let me get the lower prices (steel etc.). I paid for it in advance of the show, of course, but I picked it up there and all was kosher.

FWIW, MM didn't come to the Timonium, MD show this year. Neither did Laguna, Festool or some of the other good manufacturers that have been there in the past. I was surprised and disappointed.

Pete

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
FWIW, MM didn't come to the Timonium, MD show this year. Neither did Laguna, Festool or some of the other good manufacturers that have been there in the past. I was surprised and disappointed.

They weren't going to do the Somerset NJ show either, but Sam is up here in PA on family business, so he's doing that event now based on my conversation with him yesterday or the day before...I forget which day! LOL

Tim Wagner
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
WOW! I think i'll stick with the pm2k, at least until i start making some money at it anyway.

Tom Ruflin
02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Here is my experience with MM, I have an MM16 bandsaw. Sam at MM was able to get me the IWF pricing a week after the show which was great. I got the saw and it runs fine. MM upgraded the switch that was causing problems. The problem that I still have is the switch prevents the bottom door from opening all the way so I can change wide blades without scratching the door or runing the blade. MM is aware of the problem and I have spoken to Sam at MM about it. MM has still not sent a fix after months of waiting. Sam did send me a 3/4 inch blade to help me out while I wait. I like the saw alot and I like Sam at MM and his attentivness but I still do not have a MM solution to a problem with my saw. I know the work arounds but I do not think I should not have to come up with them myself after spending $2K+. I know there are others with this problem. I think the problem is with MM corporate in Italy, the customer service here has their hands tied. Just my experience.

Joe Mioux
02-09-2007, 1:51 PM
Another very satisfied customer. The only problem now is that I want additional equipment from them.

Joe

Steven Evans
02-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Thegreat folks at MM have been most helpful to me. They treat you like one of the family. I have a MM bandsaw and full combo machine now. You won't find better CS anywhere much less in Corp America.

Boyd Gathwright
02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
.... Yes, I too got a call yesterday. They must be making the rounds.

;)

... super nice guy. Wish I could remember his name, I forget my own some days lately. I had filled out a form requesting more information on their machines expecting I might get some literature in the mail. Never expected a call. Explained I was probably two - three months away from purchasing and was just gathering information to compare machines/specs/prices... He was cool with that. Asked about what machines I was interested in etc... Ended up the conversation asking me to give him a call if there were any questions I needed an answer to, and hoping we could do business when I was ready.

Now over the past several days I've filled out a boatload of forms requesting information and catalogs, but these MM boys calling and spending time answering questions even after it was evident a sale was not in the near future put em another rung up the ladder in my book. (even though I generally hate the phone. Previous career turned me against the particular appliance forever. Every time it rang there was another perceived crisis on the other end)

Had decided I wanted to get a larger and therefore more expensive bandsaw than I first intended, and had narrowed my bandsaw choices to four. The Bridgewood PBS-440/540, An Oliver 4640 (750lb monster), the MM16, or maybe one of the larger Grizzly offerings. Price is always a factor and I was leaning towards the BW. Wanna guess who's the new front runner? :)

A lot can happen in a few months, but whoever it was called may just have made a sale without even knowing it. I'll also be taking a closer look at their other machines as well. Wish their website was a little more informative. :(

Cecil Arnold
02-10-2007, 3:20 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences with MM, and Dain still calls occasionally "just check in." Really nice guy, great company.

Jim Flynn
03-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I have dealt with Erik at MM and find him knowledgeable, low pressure and exceptionally helpful. When I bought a used CU300 Smart they were more than helpful in answering my questions on tweaking the setup and alignment after the move. They've helped me with untold questions and never pressured me althogh I have bought several accessories along the way.

Just bought a MM16 and it will arrive Monday. Considered others in the past but on this purchase went straight to Erik and MM as they are such a pleasure to do business with.

jim gossage
03-02-2007, 5:33 AM
I have dealt with Erik at MM and find him knowledgeable, low pressure and exceptionally helpful.

i also have been dealing with Erik - frequent calls and emails for 3 years! very helpful and sincere.

Mike Holbrook
03-02-2007, 7:56 AM
I talked to a MM rep. at the Atlanta woodworking show 2 years ago, they have followed up with me ever since. They know I have been engaged in long term construction projects that prevent me from purchasing the wood working equipment I would like. They have taken the long term customer for life sales approach which I appreciate. I like a sales team that finds out about individual needs, is there to help but does not push.

I am confident I too will end up a client in the years to come. It is going to be hard to decide whether to start with a band saw for resawing lumber from my property or a combo machine.

Al Willits
03-02-2007, 9:31 AM
I'd love to upgrade my 14" Delta to something better and the M16 looks like a nice saw, plus great service, but at over 2k the only thing I could say is......do they have lay-a-way??? :D

Good to hear that you can still get good customer service.

Al

Rick Potter
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
About the website being a little more informative. Did you ask for the DVD? I requested it on the website, and got it and a small brochure in the mail.

The DVD was made in 2002, shows the combo tools, and bandsaws. It really isn't that informative, and is very brief....stars Michael Duginski.

By the way, the best informational DVD I have seen is from Laguna....goes over all the functions of the combo machines, and is quite informative. It actually got me to go to their showroom which was an hour away. I never saw the showroom. They had me wait in the reception area for a salesman to show me through. I waited about half an hour, got ticked off because it reminded me of going to a time share presentation, and went home and bought a Felder.

Rick Potter

Jim Becker
03-02-2007, 4:30 PM
...but at over 2k the only thing I could say is......do they have lay-a-way??? .
Actually, yes. Make a deal relative to a "show price" or special promotion and put a deposit on the machine. That holds the sale price. When you are ready to go...let them know and give them the rest of the money.