PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade guides??

paul comer
11-30-2003, 8:19 PM
When adjusting the blade guides do they get adjusted touching the blade just barely??? :confused:

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-30-2003, 8:27 PM
When adjusting the blade guides do they get adjusted touching the blade just barely??? :confused:

I adjust my Carter guides so the side bearings are about a 'paper width' away from the blade, and the one in back the same. So no...not touching until you put a bit of pressure on the blade. But in 'real life', the bearings are gonna be turning frequently.

KC

CPeter James
11-30-2003, 9:22 PM
I use Kool blocks and adjust them to lightly contact the blade. The rear bearing should just touch the blade when a lite cut is being made and stand clear when no cut is being made. According to a seminar that I attended, the side guide blocks keep the blade cool by drawing off the heat. The instructor preferred hard steel blocks, but said the Kool blocks were ok. I like the Kool blocks as the don't damage the blade if tooth contact is accidently made.

CPeter

Julie Wright
11-30-2003, 9:27 PM
I use a dollar bill as a feeler gauge for the bandsaw blade guides. :D

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-30-2003, 10:10 PM
I also use cool blocks up against the blade. Occasionally I take them out and true them up against the belt sander and then reinstall them.