PDA

View Full Version : Making the final decision for a lathe

mike fuson
02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for helping me rule out the grizzly 0456 lathe, there was alot of things that I wasn't thinking about. I have almost decided on the pm 3520b. I think there are some lathes out there that I have heard you guys mention that I can't find a web site for. Like a stubby? Poolewood? A friend of mine has a General that he thinks is the best thing since they started putting pockets on shirts. This is a big investment, I don't want to scimp ,but I'm willing to go the 2800 for the pm. If you have a favorite lathe could you post the website link? Thanks

Richard Leshner
02-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I just got the nova 1624-44 I love it.

or the dvr xp

teknatool.com

Mike Vickery
02-08-2007, 12:16 AM
link to stubby http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/cgi-bin/index.py

I did not think you could still get Poolewoods in the US but I may be wrong.

I think that you will not be disappointed in the PM. I do not own one but if I was in the market for a lathe that size it what I would buy.

Fred Floyd
02-08-2007, 12:24 AM
I have the Jet 1642-2hp. This is a terrific full size lathe. It has done everything I have asked. Plenty of power, variable speed, reversing. This lathe is about $1800 now. The only serious limitation is the swing over the bed. The max I can turn is about 15". But then again, how many times can you find blanks that big?

If you need bigger, the PM 3520 is beefier and has a 20" swing. The standard motor is the same 2hp and the price is 50% more. I think you get what you pay for.

Lots of guys in my club have Oneway 2436's and I consider that the gold standard. When you get to $6000 you have some interesting choices, like the VB36 and the big Vicmarc.

Phil Powell
02-08-2007, 8:21 AM
Go to "turnrobust.com" and take a look at the only American made
premium lathe available. I have the 25x18 and I've never regretted
the purchase.

Mark Pruitt
02-08-2007, 8:25 AM
I have almost decided on the pm 3520b.
Well, that's the decision I made just yesterday (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51373) and this morning I can say I feel very good for having finally made the purchase. It's a lot of $$$ by my standards, but the people I talked with privately (and publicly) all said "do it and don't look back." I'll have it sitting in my shop in less than a week. Pretty exciting stuff.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
02-08-2007, 8:33 AM
...If you have a favorite lathe could you post the website link? ThanksMike, I think you have made a great choice and can't go wrong with it. I do have a favorite that I hope to have very soon. The Robust 25" American Beauty. http://www.turnrobust.com/ :)

Mark Pruitt
02-08-2007, 8:42 AM
Go to "turnrobust.com" and take a look at the only American made
premium lathe available. I have the 25x18 and I've never regretted
the purchase.
I first read that post too quickly and thought it said "turn or bust" instead of "turn robust."

My motto for sure! TURN OR BUST!:D :D :D

Gordon Seto
02-08-2007, 8:49 AM
It depends on what you mostly turn.
If your main interest is bowls, then Stubby has a slight edge.
The best bang for the buck is PM 3520B.
Don't get me wrong, both would handle spindle and bowl turning very well.
I have the DVR, it is not in the same class.

Gordon