PDA

View Full Version : what number of teeth on blade

aurelio alarcon
11-30-2003, 7:54 PM
I would like to know what number of teeth are best for my miter saw and table saw if what I am going to be cutting is mainly plywood on the table saw and face frames made out of oak on my miter saw?

Jim Becker
11-30-2003, 8:05 PM
The 'mo teeth the better on the miter saw for woodworking shop use. For a 10" machine, 72-80t is nice. For a 12" machine 80-100t is what I'd prefer. (I currently use an 80t blade on my CMS)

On the table saw, there is more than one school of thought. Some folks prefer a dedicated sheet goods blade of 60-80 teeth. Others, including myself, use a Forrest WW-II 40t blade for almost everything with excellent results. As a matter of fact, I cut my face frames on the table saw, too, using an aftermarket miter guage. It's far more accurate than any miter saw generally is and the cut is better due to better support.

aurelio alarcon
11-30-2003, 8:25 PM
The 'mo teeth the better on the miter saw for woodworking shop use. For a 10" machine, 72-80t is nice. For a 12" machine 80-100t is what I'd prefer. (I currently use an 80t blade on my CMS)

On the table saw, there is more than one school of thought. Some folks prefer a dedicated sheet goods blade of 60-80 teeth. Others, including myself, use a Forrest WW-II 40t blade for almost everything with excellent results. As a matter of fact, I cut my face frames on the table saw, too, using an aftermarket miter guage. It's far more accurate than any miter saw generally is and the cut is better due to better support.
Right now I have a combo 40 tooth blade on my 12 inch miter. It doesn't do to bad, but I want a "jointer" type finish, so I will go to an 80-100 tooth assuming that is what I'll get.

I did not know that the table saw would be more accurate for face frames! Do you use the WW-II 40t blade and get smooth finishes? If I can't afford such a quality blade, would it be a good idea to use something other than the 40t combo that already exists on 10 inch my table saw? Say maybe a 60t or 80t?

Jim Becker
11-30-2003, 8:59 PM
I did not know that the table saw would be more accurate for face frames! Do you use the WW-II 40t blade and get smooth finishes? If I can't afford such a quality blade, would it be a good idea to use something other than the 40t combo that already exists on 10 inch my table saw? Say maybe a 60t or 80t?

Yes, I'll take the table saw with a sled or aftermarket miter system over a CMS or SCMS just about anytime...I find it more consistant and accurate for clean cuts. I only use my CMS for cutting down boards for the most part or for something that is just too long to deal with on the table saw. If you decide to do that, too, invest in a very good blade for your TS and leave what you have on your miter saw. You can also get some nice blades from Freud, Systimatic, Amana and others for slightly less than the Forrest if you need to. Keep them sharp and you'll be happy. But the WW-II can be had for about $90 or so online or at shows and given it might outlast your saw with proper care, it's not that bad of an investment over time. The carbide is harder and lasts longer between sharpenings. There is more carbide on them than many blades so you get more sharpenings. Etc.

All this is IMHO, of course.

CPeter James
11-30-2003, 9:16 PM
Bite the bullet and get a WWII from Forrest and a good sled. I have a Dubby from Inline Industries. I also have a sliding table on my TS, but for small things, I like the sled best. I have a Dewalt 708 and am using a 80t series 60 Dewalt blade on it. I take care to set it up (tune) carefully and it will do extremely good miter joint on frames, etc.

CPeter

aurelio alarcon
11-30-2003, 9:47 PM
I will break down and get the WWII from Forrest! Thanks guys for making this a hands down decision! I have seen the Dubby and am interested. But I will either buy a sled or build a sled. I'm not sure on the cost of the Dubby.

Jim Guy
12-01-2003, 8:37 AM
Bite the bullet and get a WWII from Forrest and a good sled. I have a Dubby from Inline Industries. I also have a sliding table on my TS, but for small things, I like the sled best. I have a Dewalt 708 and am using a 80t series 60 Dewalt blade on it. I take care to set it up (tune) carefully and it will do extremely good miter joint on frames, etc.

CPeter

CPeter,
I've been looking at the Dubby. There are a lot of options when looking at a miter jig for the TS. Are you happy with the Dubby?
Jim Guy

CPeter James
12-01-2003, 9:42 AM
CPeter,
I've been looking at the Dubby. There are a lot of options when looking at a miter jig for the TS. Are you happy with the Dubby?
Jim Guy

I bought the Dubby 5 or 6 years ago at a show. Watching Jerry Cole demonstrate it was worth the cost and he came back the next week a did a evening seminar on the jig and saw safety and that alone was also worth the cost. The new ones are updated from mine and look even better made. They do have both a left and right sled, but most people only get the left sled. There is an excellent video and also a book on picture frames that has every possible demension and angle that you could want to know to make any size frame. The have a web site:

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/

I have no connection with them.