PDA

View Full Version : PM 1150 aquisition.....

Roy Wall
02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, it was a wild weekend for me at the KC WW show. I made a lot of good contacts. A great breakfast on Saturday morning reunited the usual group of KC Creekers (Clardy, Diemer, Coffelt, Roxberg, et al,,,,:cool: ) I also met Calvin Hobbs and Al Navas for the first time - a couple more great gentlemen and skilled WWers....
A great bonus was Terry Hatfield up from NW AR!! What a guy...he is doing well and it was a pleasure to see him back in the saddle....as they say!

Anywho, I came across this DP from a local newspaper ad about a month ago. I checked out this great "Semi Old Iron" machine and was impressed how smoothly it ran. It was fun, but no decision was made at this time. Well, I happened to meet the gentleman again at the show - he was looking at band saws. We started talking tools again.....one thing led to another, and we settled on a tool for tool trade.

The DP was originally purchased from a local KC man who bought the saw NEW in 1966. It's been in a hobbyist shop all it life. The motor is 1 hp 1720 rpm "Robbins & Meyer"......which leads to chuck speeds of 375 -4800 - which is perhaps a tad high for some Wood boring applications...?

Lots of Cast Iron....a big base...and the deal included original PM Mortising Attachment and fence, as well as a heavy duty DP vise.

Pics as usual:

Roy Wall
02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
A couple more photos........

Including a couple visitors in the backyard this afternoon.......

It is pretty clean machine as is.......once we get out of the deep freeze here in the Midwest I'll give it a thorough cleaning........hurry up March!!

I welcome your advice and knowledge about this machine for use and care... THanks!!

Pete Brown
02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
sweet! That looks like it never left the showroom.

Is the second photo all the "doe" you spent on this ;-)

Pete

Larry Fox
02-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Awesome acquisition Roy - congrats.

Great pic of the "sausage on the hoof" as we call them here in PA. Good to see them doing something other than eating my wife's flowers for a change. :)

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
That's a really nice machine, Roy. Congratulations! Good deal!

Frank Snyder
02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Nice find, Roy. I especially like the lamp hood...very Austin Powers. Yeah, Baby! I'm sure your '66 PM drill press is built better than my '06 model. Enjoy!

Roy Wall
02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Awesome acquisition Roy - congrats.

Great pic of the "sausage on the hoof" as we call them here in PA. Good to see them doing something other than eating my wife's flowers for a change. :)

They're getting skinny!!.........It's been a long, cold winter......:eek:

Roy Wall
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Nice find, Roy. I especially like the lamp hood...very Austin Powers. Yeah, Baby! I'm sure your '66 PM drill press is built better than my '06 model. Enjoy!

ROFL........:D

I think I'll find a "Hi Tech" replacement...... I'll consult David Marks....:cool:

Bill Simmeth
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow! Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Roy, nice find!! That machine looks really clean and well tended to. The old Robbins & Meyers motors were very well built. And I hear you got a steal on it! ;)

Enjoy!

Walt Caza
02-08-2007, 1:06 PM
Hi Roy,
Nice score, thanks for sharing pics.
be well,
Walt
:)