PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Knives

Jude Tuliszewski
02-07-2007, 9:54 PM
I have a question for the SMC brain trust. I have a Jet 6 inch jointer. It takes 5/8 x 1/8 x 6 inch knives. Would it matter much if I used 3/4 inch instead of the 5/8 inch knives? It seems like there are lots of 3/4 knives out there on Fleabay. If I can use the 3/4 I could save some money :D cause I have seen some great deals on jointer knives.

Jude

Pete Brown
02-07-2007, 10:02 PM
If it uses 5/8" knives, you should use 5/8" knives. Otherwise, you may not have enough support for the knife or, more importantly, clearance. You may also get more chatter since more of the knife is exposed.

Pete

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Use the correct size for best results and safety. And if I recall, the Jet 6" takes 6 1/8" wide knives, not an even 6"...but it's been a few years since I sold mine.

Tom Jones III
02-08-2007, 8:10 AM
Get the correct knives, when you are looking down at a jointer blade protruding from your gut you won't be thinking "at least I saved $3"

Check out these guys, it looks like you will be paying $12-$15 for a new set
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html
I've used them for 2 sets of jointer blades and 2 sets of planer blades and they are great.

Jude Tuliszewski
02-08-2007, 2:09 PM
Thanks for the replies..:) That' why I asked before doing it, so I wouldn't be posting a what not to do post:eek: . As for the size Jim, we are both mistaken. The blades on it (and what is listed on the Jet site) are 6 1/16. It looks like there is enough clearance so I can safely use 6 1/8 long knives. Thanks Tom, for directing me to the gloabltooling site. The prices are surprisingly low.

"Michael Hinkel"
02-08-2007, 4:08 PM
I bought a set @ Sears this past summer. They are the same size as my 6" Rigid knives. I didn't pay over $15.00 for a set of 3

Jake Helmboldt
02-08-2007, 4:33 PM
Has anyone used Freud HSS (non-carbide) knives? Other Freud stuff is good, so I assume their jointer knives are good. They can be had pretty cheaply from various online sources and come in all sorts of sizes. I'm sure you can get the exact size you need.

JH

Brad Trent
02-08-2007, 4:42 PM
I've just recently installed some Freud blades on my Jet 6" jointer. They have not seen much use yet, but seem to be as good as a set of newly sharpened Jet blades.