PDA

View Full Version : Building a Stanley #5 (virtually)

Dominic Greco
02-07-2007, 9:43 PM
A couple of weeks ago I asked a question concerning CAD drawings of hand tools. The reason I wanted CAD drawings was so I could lay out the design for my tool cabinet while I was at work (during lunch of course). The responses I got were not encouraging. And my subsequent searches on the internet did not yield any better results.

I've been working with AutoCad for 20 years, and Solid Modeling for about 5. I'm pretty good at both (after all that time, I'd better be!). So I decided that if I wanted quality drawings, I'd have to make them MYSELF.

The problem is, I tend to go a bit over board with things like these. I once wanted an elevation view of the Enterprise (NCC1701D) for my office at work. That project morphed into a highly detailed CAD drawing that took me almost 2 weeks (at night) to complete! This case is no better. So far I have the body, knob, and attaching hardware for a Stanley #5 drawn in 3D. All the measurements were taken via scales ("rulers" for you non-engineer types), calipers or micrometer. The body is very detailed and features the tapped holes, lofts and draft angles you'd find on the real casting. Once I get all the pieces completed and "assembled", I can generate CAD drawings of any view in seconds.

Now you're going to ask, "Why go through all the trouble of drawing this in 3D?" My reply, "Why not?" No one else seems to be doing this. And some of the parts I make for the #5 can be used (with a bit of modification) when I draw up my #8, #6, #4 and #3 Stanley Planes. (ambitious, eh?) :>)

And besides, using the supplied Rendering program, I can get very realistic images from my 3D models.

Now I ask you, does this put me in the same category as that guy who wrote the first couple paragraphs of "Moby Dick" on a grain of rice?

Zahid Naqvi
02-07-2007, 9:58 PM
Now I ask you, does this put me in the same category as that guy who wrote the first couple paragraphs of "Moby Dick" on a grain of rice?

Maybe not, but you are cutting it pretty close ;)

nice drawing though, hey you never know these drawings may come in handy for someone who decides to make replicas.

Tom Sontag
02-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Well Dom, I think this particular effort may be used against you in the sanity hearings. All this to design a tool cabinet? Puhleeeze.

As far as nobody else doing it, I'll bet LN has CAD drawings of their planes and I am pretty sure LV does. Heck, they might be made by the same guy working from a rubber room.

Let's see that Enterprise!

Dominic Greco
02-08-2007, 8:43 AM
Tom,
The drawing of the Enterprise is secreted somewhere deep in my computer files. Not on hard drive, but FLOPPY. Somewhere in the nearly 300 floppies I have there is a disk with the enterprise, and some fighter jets. And I think a Romulan warbird. You'll be the second person to know once I find em!

John Schreiber
02-08-2007, 9:38 AM
Very cool Dominic,

The problem is, I tend to go a bit over board with things like these. I have the same problem. The important thing is that you had fun while you were doing it. I like to think that if my bad habits are confined to things like this, I am doing pretty well.

The rendering looks great. More pictures please.

Bob Opsitos
02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Looks good, what 3D program are you modeling in? I'm using V5 CATIA.

Would you mind sending me a copy of the files of the plane? Having them to tinker with might spark some ideas.

thanks
Bob

Dominic Greco
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Looks good, what 3D program are you modeling in? I'm using V5 CATIA.

Would you mind sending me a copy of the files of the plane? Having them to tinker with might spark some ideas.

thanks
Bob

Bob,
I'm using Solid Edge V18. But I also use ProE and Inventor (which I HATE!). As soon as I'm done I can see about providing STEP files. Actually, now that I think about it I think I can save in CATAI native format. I'll have to give that a try.

Ken Werner
02-08-2007, 3:00 PM
Dominic, you da man!
Ken [planeaholic]