PDA

View Full Version : Night Stands - A vs. B

Hans Braul
02-07-2007, 9:13 PM
I am looking for feedback on some design experimentation I have done on two versions of a simple nightstand. I find that although I think my instincts generally lead me in the right direction, input from others is very useful. I would like an honest assessment of two pieces, one vs the other, and how they work in general.

Last August, I completed my first real piece of furniture, a nightstand A:
Just today I finished another similar nightstand. I decided not to make it identical to the first, but wanted to play with design features.
The most obvious is the use of curly maple in B instead of wavy maple in A.
57312 57313.

The overall effect is that B is deeper and darker (like an older wiser guy), while A is like a little kid. The next post will show more detail differences.

More details in my next post....

Hans

Hans Braul
02-07-2007, 9:18 PM
In the earlier piece (A) the top had perfectly straight edges and was beveled to reveal only about 3/8" edge. In B I chose to bevel the edge only slightly, and I rounded the edges front to back and side to side very slightly by about 1/8":
57315 57316

The drawers in A run in a dado, whereas in B I have used traditional construction.
57317 57318

Hans Braul
02-07-2007, 9:21 PM
Nightstand A has a knob I just kind of free-formed without any pre-concieved ideas, while B has a more geometrical shape:

57319 57320

I am sincerely interested in all comments, good bad or indifferent. Specifically, I'd like to know: Is B an improvement over A? Oh I forgot to mention B has a back panel to hide the wall plug, whereas A is open in the back.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks
Hans

Gary McKown
02-07-2007, 9:31 PM
In short, I like B better except for the knob. IMO, a drawer of that width should have more than a little square-ish widget as a pull. Experiment with something 3-4" long, along the lines of the "A" version.

But either looks very nice, indeed.

Pete Brown
02-07-2007, 9:36 PM
First, both are beautiful pieces.

I like A a lot better. Much of that is because there is more contrast between the maple and cherry. I also like the pull from that drawer.

I like the angle of the top on A as well.

I like the dovetails in B. I like the figure in B. I don't like the darkness of the maple in B or the square pull. It is both too big and too small, IMHO. It is too small to fit that drawer, but its height makes it seem too big.

Pete

Blake Holton
02-07-2007, 9:41 PM
Hans -

I prefer A over B, although I congratulate you in a successful completion of both pieces. I enjoy the contrasting woods in A and I prefer the top over B. I echo Gary's comments about the drawer pull. The pull in A invites the user to pull - just to see how it feels!

I also agree that B offers more of a mature feel, but I enjoy the lightness and casual feel of A.

Keep up the great work.

Blake

Roy Wall
02-07-2007, 9:44 PM
Hans -

I think B design is Better....... I like the top shape better, and the back panel better.

They both have excellent work in them...your DT's are tight! Good stuff Hans......:cool:

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 9:47 PM
I would likely choose the design of B over A for a few reasons...one being the closed back is more compatible with a lot of bedroom situations where there is a mass of electrical wires behind the night-stand as well as the propensity to accidently push things off the shelf while cleaning, etc. I like the pull on A better, however. Not that the one on B is bad...I just happen to like the style of the one on A.

Denise Palko
02-07-2007, 9:49 PM
I prefer A to B in most elements. I like the contrast in the wood selection of A, the reveal on the table top better complements the leg taper, and of course, the drawer pull is a nice free-form, artistic touch.

Just a few areas where I think B exceeds A. I think the dado in the side of the drawer detracts from the beautiful dovetail. (Although I prefer the dovetail size and spacing in A over B.) And I felt like the back was “missing” from A. I think that it you want to omit the back, I might suggest changing the full side panel to an apron (in cherry).

All of this to say that both pieces are truly beautiful. It’s very humbling to read that A was your first piece of furniture.

Thank you for sharing this work. It is so interesting to see two very similar pieces side-by-side.
Denise

Lars Thomas
02-07-2007, 9:50 PM
I'll go against the grain here . . .I like 'A' better principally because of the open back and the free-form pull.

Pete Brown
02-07-2007, 9:56 PM
Are those solid single-board sides, or did you just do a really really good job matching up the grain. I can't see any seam :)

BTW, one thing that detracts from "B" in my opinion is the curved rail under the drawer. It draws my attention. Going back to A, I see that is a nicer (IMHO) piece of cherry in the same position.

I agree with others that you want a back in there - preferably a strong one. My night stand gets some serious abuse with all my magazines and books :)

Pete

Hans Braul
02-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks to all so far. Pete, The sides are two pieces, with the front piece being about 2/3 of the panel (look for the seam towards the back). By the way, I goofed on the other panel, and the seam is towards the front and more noticeable.

Hans

Jim Fox
02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I like B better...........except for one thing...........the drawer front. It's too busy. I like the drawer front on A better.

Greg Funk
02-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I like B below the top but very much prefer the beveled top on A.

Don Bullock
02-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Both are beautiful in their own ways.

For me it is difficult to compare them. They are different styles. A is more of a modern look with the beviled top and curved pull. The contrast in the wood fits a more modern style as well. B is more of a Craftsman style ( I must add that I'm one who loves Arts & Crafts, Craftsman & Prairie styles) so it is much more simple in the angles, including the knob. Personally I think you would ruin the look of either one by moving one style element such as the top or pull to the other piece. Perhaps on B you could use a more rectangular pull more in line with some on Green & Green furniture like a cloud lift or the three horizontal ebony lines. That would be the only thing I would change on either one, but the square pull is appropriate for that piece.

Dan Owen
02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
I like A with the exception of the dadoed draw side. I prefer the drawer set up in B.

Dan

Pete Brown
02-08-2007, 6:46 AM
Both are beautiful in their own ways.

For me it is difficult to compare them. They are different styles. A is more of a modern look with the beviled top and curved pull. The contrast in the wood fits a more modern style as well. B is more of a Craftsman style ( I must add that I'm one who loves Arts & Crafts, Craftsman & Prairie styles)

I actually think the top on A looks more craftsman/prairie/mission than B. The only thing screaming that design on B (to me) is the drawer pull.

Pete

Ron Brese
02-08-2007, 7:32 AM
The thing that strikes me right away is that I prefer the free flowing pull and the open back of A. However I much prefer the top and figured wood of B.

Ron

Jim Bunton
02-08-2007, 7:36 AM
Hans you do wonderfull work. Both peices are great. If I had to choose I was more drawn to A. I really couldn't break it down like some of the others have. I just like the look a little better.

Jim Bunton

Neil Lamens
02-08-2007, 8:40 AM
Hans...........for me its not about A or B, its about your desire to explore.

Good job man!!!!!

Ron Hedrick
02-08-2007, 8:56 AM
This is my first post. First both are beautiful pieces. I like the top and drawer handle on A but I like the drawer front on B. I guess if you marry the 2 in my uninformed opinion you would have the perfect night stand.

Ron Hedrick
02-08-2007, 8:59 AM
I only hope that I can eventually make a piece that looks that good.

Mark Singer
02-08-2007, 9:08 AM
I also like "B" better....the wood "Pops" and really compliments the piece. The proportions are very good, and the workmanship is outstanding especially considering how new you are to the craft! The dovetail proportions are diferent....maybe "A" seems a little more defined in theit form.....the shallower angle needs to be very crisp to hold the form....more contast in woods would help to pop the dovetails in future projects and they will continue to improve.....but let me say....they look great and it is terrific that you are doing them by hand...Hans excelllent! I think the drawer guide groove is ovescalled and weakens both the look and the actuall drawer.....1/2" is plenty....One thing seems very clear and that is you are on a mission to improve....you ask for honest opinions and you yourself are honing your skills with each new venture...that is the road I am on as well.....it is a continuing journey...

John Schreiber
02-08-2007, 9:10 AM
All in all, I prefer A. When I look at it, I enjoy the clean lines and the simple contrast between woods. The drawer pull really works for me. As someone said above, it says "pull me". I'm not sure about the dado for the drawer support. I think it might look better if it didn't go so far to the front of the drawer, or perhaps if it were squared off to match with the rest of the piece.

I think I'm starting to feel that really interesting wood, like in B, needs to be used very carefully. Here, I think it overwhelms the contrasts between the cherry and the maple and even affects the shape of the piece.

I do think a back is a good idea. Makes it look more complete in general and adds strength.

I would be very proud of either piece and I might feel differently seeing them up close, but that's my .02. It's great to see you doing multiple similar pieces to study the effect.

Ralph Dobbertin
02-08-2007, 9:55 AM
Both are very nice but if pushed I would say I like the figured maple piece better, though I would treat the top edges a little more. I have also had some success scratching a bead on the top about 1/8" deep and 3/4" in from the edge. It adds an interesting little visual. You might even try a bead on the top and bottom edege of the drawer front at about 1/8" in. Lastly I was wondering what the piece would look like with doors on the bottom. I'm not saying I would do it, but I was wondering.

Very nice work

Hans Braul
02-08-2007, 5:54 PM
To all who responded,

I want to thank you for all your feedback. Ask and you shall receive! Very useful. I was surprised to find how popular the first handle was. It encourages me to trust my instincts and "just do it" if it feels right. There was also a general feeling that the bevel in the first piece was more pleasing than the steeper angle of the second. I'm still not sure on that. My initial intention was to do a similar bevel, though I'd have to make it curved for both the sides and front. When I started to plane, something told me to leave it steeper. It just felt right. I still like the effect, but I understand the appeal of the other as well. The other general consensus was that the traditional drawer was better than the dado. I wholeheartedly agree.

Lots of comments about the appeal of the contrasting woods of the first piece. I also like it, but part of me resists it. It's impressive, and certainly eye-catching, but which piece will look better in 100 years? My money is the second.

All round, I learned a lot doing these two pieces, and I learned a lot from you folks. It is tremendously important to me to get the thoughtful, honest feedback of fellow woodworkers.

Thanks to all

Hans

Art Mulder
02-08-2007, 6:49 PM
Lots of comments about the appeal of the contrasting woods of the first piece. I also like it, but part of me resists it. It's impressive, and certainly eye-catching, but which piece will look better in 100 years? My money is the second.

Hans... Are you building for yourself, or for your (great) grand children? :D

Sure, I want to build quality that will have long life. But I build stuff that I'm going to enjoy right now.:cool:

Hans Braul
02-08-2007, 8:09 PM
[quote=Art Mulder]Hans... Are you building for yourself, or for your (great) grand children? [quote]

Hi Art

Funny you should ask. I don't know about you, but I feel time is increasingly fleeting, and my time on this mortal coil is, alas, limited. I sure would like my pieces to outlive me. And if there is any such thing as communing with the other side, I can imagine no greater pleasure than my grandchildren looking at a piece I made, and saying, "Geez, the old fart built some nice stuff...."

Regards
Hans

John Timberlake
02-08-2007, 8:44 PM
I like the first one best, although both are nice. I like the contrast between the maple and cherry. Table B the drawer is too close to the frame in color without matching.

Larry Rasmussen
02-08-2007, 8:45 PM
A vote for A. Not that you need more input but I wanted to chip in and say a big thanks for your efforts to document these pieces. I have been mostly lurking and daydreaming about building my first real furniture pieces as I drudge through finishing the kitchen and other projects.

I have day dreamed over some of the fine wood I've seen and each and every aspect of some of the pieces I am planning. Ultimately I strongly preferred the contrast of piece A more than the instrinsic stand alone beauty of that drawer front wood on B. John Schreiber above summed it up very well above with his comments on careful use of the really great pieces of wood.

Oh, while I'm here I'd like to order some of those pulls on the A piece. Great work!

Larry R.

Bert Johansen
02-08-2007, 8:51 PM
Hans, looks like you have quite a lot of valuable help in working toward a final solution. Here's my two cents worth. The overall feel of the piece is wonderful, with just the right amount of graceful features to move it from "newbie" to "advanced." As many observed, for a first piece it is indeed outstanding--congrats!

1. From "A" keep the chamfered top, the graceful pull and the higher contrast.
2. From "B" keep the birds eye maple (with the lighter finish of "A"). Yes, you can get nice figure without BLO or amber shellac (See photo).
3. I prefer the side-hung drawers, but as Mark Singer said, make the groove much smaller. They are classy, IMHO.
4. With or without a back is a wash. As Jim Becker said, you may have issues of electrical cords, but it looks great without a back. Lighter, if you will.

John A. Williams
02-08-2007, 9:51 PM
I like A better. The pull, the color contrast, and the top. But I would close in the back. Very, very nice work!
John

John Kairys
02-09-2007, 6:19 AM
Congratulations on both. I agree with John's comments above, but would also add the dovetailed drawer to the equation. Nice work!

John

Bill VanderLaan
02-09-2007, 9:27 AM
First off, both tables turned out great and you should be proud of both of them. As far as criticism, I respectfully offer the following observations and echo many of the comments of others:

While the figured maple in B is very nice and it really pops, I like the simplicity of the wood in A better as it provides better contrast with the cherry. I also like the closed back on B better than the open back on A. The drawer set-up on B is better than A, as the A drawer guide is a bit distracting (nice job on the dovetails). I like both tops, but I really like the chamfered top of A. That said, maybe a bit more subtle chamfer. Lastly, I second the comment on the curved/arched rail on the bottom of the drawers. They kept distracting me. Perhaps simple would be better in this case.

Just my $0.02.

Best-

BVL

Pete Brown
02-09-2007, 9:33 AM
I like the curve, just not the wood in the curve on the second one.

ANyway, I just noticed that the taper on the legs is different. I couldn't put my finger on it before, but I liked the stance of A better. Now it looks to me (could be camera angle) that the legs on A are straight on the outside while the ones on B are straight on the inside. I like the straight outside line better.

I still love them both and would be proud to own or have made either one :)